Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

Pentax K-70 first personal subjective impressions

Hej everyone!

Since this website helped to find a good deal for K-70, I would like to share the first impressions about the camera.
I just posted it here Pentax K-70 first personal subjective impressions: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Feel free to comment / question !

09-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomstall Quote
Hej everyone!

Since this website helped to find a good deal for K-70, I would like to share the first impressions about the camera.
I just posted it here Pentax K-70 first personal subjective impressions: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Feel free to comment / question !
What lens were you using that was so noisy and slow to focus?
09-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
50 1.8 - I mentioned it is slow in LiveView. With phase detection better.
And yes, refocus is noisy under all circumstances..
09-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Linking to your post on another forum is sort of frowned on (drives traffic off site), but I'm glad you joined the forum! I am pleased you found some things good about the camera and are happy with the quality of its output.

Steve

09-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At some point, once you have time to learn your K-70, you might want to submit a review for the camera database here. As for suggestions of an AF prime in the range 25mm to 35mm faster than f/2, your choices to purchase new are rather limited, regardless of AF speed/accuracy:

- Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited
- Sigma 35/1.4 DG HSM Art
- Sigma 30/1.4 DC HSM Art

There are detailed reviews for all three on this site.

Steve
09-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I love this site with all the lenses reviews and recommendations. I will definitely post longer review as soon as I spend more time with K-70!
09-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks guys, I love this site with all the lenses reviews and recommendations. I will definitely post longer review as soon as I spend more time with K-70!
BTW...It was brought to my attention this evening that the Pentax FA 35/2 is available again on the Ricoh/Pentax USA Web site. The f/2 maximum aperture is on the cusp of your desired aperture range and it is screw drive, but at $349 USD, the value proposition is too high to ignore. I have shot with the FA 35/2 for several years and it is a wonderful lens on both APS-C and 35mm FF.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-01-2016 at 09:49 PM.
09-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

50 1.8 - I mentioned it is slow in LiveView. With phase detection better.
And yes, refocus is noisy under all circumstances..
Screw-drive lenses are known to be noisy. In fact, we regularly have discussions here between those who think the noise is unimportant and those like me who are very irritated by it. You might be happier if you used the DA 18-135 DC lens, which has an in-lens focusing motor, and would be more like the Sony lenses you are used to; my understanding is that is the lens which will be kitted with the camera initially.
09-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #9
Forum Member

You mentioned the loud shutter/mirror noise which I am used to with my K-S1, but have you tried at slow shutter speeds to see if there is any movement transferred to the images through vibration. I know this has been discussed on here with certain Pentax cameras and lens combos, just wondering if they ironed that part out yet.
09-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

To be honest, he took a K70, not a K3 or K1 and he used LV at the begining. It was obvious it was a receipe for disaster. K30/K50 at least are know for their loud mirror again K3 much more silent. One must tell appart reality from marketing.

I don't know for his DA50 f/1.8 that basically has bad AF review on PF, but my FA50 f/1.4 was terrible again until K3 for AF. The thing is the best the algorithms are, the most decisive the AF and if you are using screwdrive, the less you'll hear the noise. The only time screw drive is noisy is with the 55-300 when it hunt. On K3. But on K5 many lenses hunted.

I still think the noise is in his hear mostly and I highly doubt the camera would wake up his newborn. And if you ask, I started with SDM lenses that are completely silent.

If that's a problem for him, why doesn't he take a used DA*55 or a 18-135, 16-50 or 16-85? They are all silent. Sure lenses with motor are more expensive, more likely to fail but you choose your priorities. Me I prefer lenses that'll still work in 20 year, with very solid build and are small/light but everybody take his priorities.
09-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
To be honest, he took a K70, not a K3 or K1 ....
Yes, he was reviewing a K-70.

Those of us who are aware of these issues need to point them out. The K-70 will be kitted with the 15-135 DC lens, so that is the lens which should be used by reviewers, and we need to point that out any time the issue arises.
09-13-2016, 01:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, he was reviewing a K-70.

Those of us who are aware of these issues need to point them out. The K-70 will be kitted with the 15-135 DC lens, so that is the lens which should be used by reviewers, and we need to point that out any time the issue arises.
18-135. 15-135 would be fantastic, but it doesn't exist. Also couting K70 is entry level, I think most are going to buy it with a cheaper kit but where you are right is that at least there I find it only body only or with 18-135. Maybe Ricoh hope many will buy the kit or people know enough to choose another lens. I don't know. What I can say is all the friend that I have that brought a K30 back in time brought it with the 18-55 and wanted a nice price. They would not go for a 18-135 kit, even if that would be arguably a better choice.

Back on topic, I don't think DA50 poor performance comes from the lack of DC, I think it is more the lack of contrast wide open that require more advanced AF to work. This work on K3, not on K70. Without changing the lens and changing the body one often get nice improvement. My 50-135 improved a lot with K3 too and it is SDM... Many also reported improvements with K1.

Both the lens and the body count and on that test both were soso.

For the 18-135, I never heard of a body where it didn't AF fast and clean. While we could expect all Pentax DSLR in live view to really depend on a nice in lens motor to work, the K70 is the body, that in theory thanks to its on sensor PDAF should be able to be as fast in LV as using OVF with all lenses, including screw drive. The many mirrorless bodies out there have shown that you can have indeed very fast contrast AF, without even PDAF onboard with lenses designed for it.

The hardware seems to be there at least on the sensor, but we seems to lack the refinments on the algorithms and potentially, the hardware to make that software fast. But honestly I am not even sure of the sensor. Sure it has on board PDAF... But I think Panasonic, Olympus or Fuji tweak their sensor design too for AF. We don't know much detail of the K70 sensor. We just know LV AF is still slow.

As for review, I'd really hope a camera review could be as independant as possible of the lens. It would make sense to test a body on a selection of lenses. On Pentax K70, that should include a few kit lenses people are likely to buy (so including 18-135, DA50 and 18-55) and also a recent high end one or 2, maybe the DFA70-200...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-13-2016 at 01:22 AM.