Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #16

My mistake, there WAS a video clip

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A short clipp video is in the review. Nothing changed for a few years now. So it isn't going to be best in class, but something you could use for recreational footage. The electronic stabilisation ksn't so good for real use and the quality of the footage is subpar due to low Mbit/sec.
My mistake, folks. Watched again and there was a short video clip. Hopefully, the video is suitable, as you suggest, for the occasional video clip.

Jack

09-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
My mistake, folks. Watched again and there was a short video clip. Hopefully, the video is suitable, as you suggest, for the occasional video clip.

Jack
Yes it is good enough for some nice family footage.
09-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yes it is good enough for some nice family footage.
I'm not sure what else someone would use a consumer level camera to make video of.
09-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure what else someone would use a consumer level camera to make video of.
Professional music videos?

09-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
I think TCS is funny and knowledgeable
It helps that they also sell the product as a brick 'n mortar store. Some might consider that a conflict of interest, but the fact that they will speak frankly about product on the shelf increases their credibility in my mind.

Steve
09-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It helps that they also sell the product as a brick 'n mortar store. Some might consider that a conflict of interest, but the fact that they will speak frankly about product on the shelf increases their credibility in my mind.

Steve
I think he may have sold me on the bag...seriously

Steve

(love the cross-sell)
09-13-2016, 08:52 PM - 4 Likes   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
When he mentions that the K-70 doesnt have MTF setting, does he refer to the MTF priority Program Line customization settings which is present in K-3 series & K-1? or is he referring to something else?
Yes, we were referring to the MTF Program Line. We absolutely love that feature, especially with Pixel Shift where you should really be using the sharpest apertures. The only reason they pulled it out would be market segmentation, as it's just a small database they need to include in the software.

I hate seeing this kind of artificial handicapping, Pentax usually avoids this. The K-70 is still a killer stills camera for the price, but this and the inability to use the SR Recompose feature left a bad taste in my mouth.

---------- Post added 09-13-16 at 08:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
You could be right that the video imaging is not that great. I'm not going to watch the review again, but if I recall correctly, his ONLY comment on the video was something like,.......nobody would use the video on the K-70.

Sorry, but I just don't get it, and I doubt if he even tried the video. When improved video is touted as one of the significant improvements in the K-70, a thorough review would have had several detailed comments on it's strengths or weaknesses.

I take very few videos, but occasionally it's nice to catch a memory, including the movement and sound.

I'd like to hear from actual K-70 users that have tried the video.

Jack
We showed a few examples of the video. We choose not to focus on the video (lack of) quality, because it has never been Pentax's strong suit, and this is no exception. The video AF is still very poor, with constant micro-adjustments that are hugely distracting. The removal of the headphone jack also shows that Pentax does not consider video to be one of the K-70's strengths.

When the 645Z was announced, I was extremely excited about the video capture potential. Unfortunately, it was enormously disappointing, which we dedicated a large portion of our review to discussing. This was roundly criticized, as the 645Z was not geared towards video professionals. For that reason, we avoid talking too much about video on Pentax cameras as they are currently the weakest line for video features, and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Shooters who need good video capabilities have all moved on to other systems, so we try to gear these reviews almost exclusively to the photo features.

09-14-2016, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
The removal of the headphone jack also shows that Pentax does not consider video to be one of the K-70's strengths.
That wasn't removed. There never has been one in mid range Pentax bodies. The K-3 was the first the have one, and now the K-1. This is a development of the K-s2 body. Didn't have one either (nor compo adjustment or a MTF program line Pentax probably considers them enthusiast features). The sharpest image is going to be somewhere between F5.6 an F8 (F7.1) with any lens. So I don't see much use for MTF program.

Last edited by D1N0; 09-14-2016 at 02:38 AM.
09-14-2016, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

Thanks for the review - informative as always. I'm sure that most Pentax users want an honest account of the pros and cons, and not a whitewash. It's a pity if people are getting all militant on you.

I also like the MTF setting on my K-5ii and my K20D. I had a K-01 in-between, and the lack of that was the thing that disappointed me most. Having said that, I don't think it was ever on the low-end consumer bodies. I guess they believe it's a kind of technical feature that is more suited to the K-3 breed of cameras.
09-14-2016, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

+1, fair and good presentation, like usual with TCS.