Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 Review by TCSTV

Hello, The Camera Store just came out with their review of the Pentax K-70. Looks very fair to me, and they actually praise the image quality.

09-10-2016, 10:22 PM - 2 Likes   #2

Ditto on the review being fair. Their comments about the AF are accurate and shouldn't be ignored. I think TCS is funny and knowledgeable, and I hope they don't get trolled for any negative comments they make reviewing a Pentax because I don't want them to be discouraged from giving their honest opinions. They've said good things about Pentax in the past, such as when they selected the K-3 as their No. 2 Camera of the Year when it came out.

The hyper-sensitive negativing toward Tony Northrop after he gave his review of the K-1 was embarrassing to me as a Pentaxian.
09-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These guys reviewed the k-1 and they were quite fair. Like Mr. Northrup. They also said that the k-1 isn't at par with the others. I like the way they make their reviews. No bashing but just stating the facts.
09-11-2016, 12:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
The hyper-sensitive negativing toward Tony Northrop after he gave his review of the K-1 was embarrassing to me as a Pentaxian.
Great review indeed. Camera Store and Tony Northrup reviews are quite accurate, but DPR were completely wrong regarding AF. Reviews must be as fair as possible for the buyers to make informed decisions, but saying false things about a camera is not good either.

---------- Post added 11-09-16 at 09:58 ----------

==

Whats interesting about this K70 is that it's got features of the flag ship, but as an entry level DSLR. Worth the upgrade for someone still having a K10, K20, K7, K30, K50, K500 or K5.

09-11-2016, 01:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes - very nice review. He gets what Pentax are trying to do, and that isn't to be another Canikon - you can either review their cameras as failed attempts to be Canikon clones or successful attempts to be something different - and many of us stay loyal to Pentax because we like the decisions they make in that great decision making arena called design (in its widest, not cosmetic, sense)
09-11-2016, 03:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

doesn't the k-70 have compo adjustment like he says?
09-11-2016, 04:25 AM   #7

Good review, I guess, but I wonder why he was so dismissive of the video mode. From all I've read, it's greatly improved with continuous autofocus. In fact, video and the flippy LCD are the reasons I'm considering the K-70. His reference to the great image quality seems pretty subjective and I hope it's true. Personally, I'd rather hear from Pentax users, comparing IQ to cameras that we know.

Jack

09-11-2016, 05:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
doesn't the k-70 have compo adjustment like he says?
No compo adjust on K70. Not a great loss at the price point. Pentax put all the IQ tech in and that's what counts IMO.
09-11-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
I wonder why he was so dismissive of the video mode. From all I've read, it's greatly improved with continuous autofocus.
It's the quality of the imagery that isn't great, even if the AF is better in video mode
09-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Hello, The Camera Store just came out with their review of the Pentax K-70. Looks very fair to me, and they actually praise the image quality.

Pentax K-70 Hands-On Field Test - YouTube
When he mentions that the K-70 doesnt have MTF setting, does he refer to the MTF priority Program Line customization settings which is present in K-3 series & K-1? or is he referring to something else?
09-11-2016, 06:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
When he mentions that the K-70 doesnt have MTF setting, does he refer to the MTF priority Program Line customization settings which is present in K-3 series & K-1? ...
Must be.
09-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #12

Fair review! Very decent people, at The Camera Store Tv.
09-12-2016, 03:58 AM   #13

I don't think he even tried the video

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
It's the quality of the imagery that isn't great, even if the AF is better in video mode
You could be right that the video imaging is not that great. I'm not going to watch the review again, but if I recall correctly, his ONLY comment on the video was something like,.......nobody would use the video on the K-70.

Sorry, but I just don't get it, and I doubt if he even tried the video. When improved video is touted as one of the significant improvements in the K-70, a thorough review would have had several detailed comments on it's strengths or weaknesses.

I take very few videos, but occasionally it's nice to catch a memory, including the movement and sound.

I'd like to hear from actual K-70 users that have tried the video.

Jack
09-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

They do show a short clip of video.

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
You could be right that the video imaging is not that great. I'm not going to watch the review again, but if I recall correctly, his ONLY comment on the video was something like,.......nobody would use the video on the K-70.

Sorry, but I just don't get it, and I doubt if he even tried the video. When improved video is touted as one of the significant improvements in the K-70, a thorough review would have had several detailed comments on it's strengths or weaknesses.

I take very few videos, but occasionally it's nice to catch a memory, including the movement and sound.

I'd like to hear from actual K-70 users that have tried the video.

Jack
09-12-2016, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Banned

A short clipp video is in the review. Nothing changed for a few years now. So it isn't going to be best in class, but something you could use for recreational footage. The electronic stabilisation ksn't so good for real use and the quality of the footage is subpar due to low Mbit/sec.