Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #31

Original Poster
K3 Advice

Thanks everyone for you constructive comments. I'm off to the Pentax dealer tomorrow for a very long chat and to look at various options. At the moment i'm now considering the K3 or K3ii rather than the K70. Pentax is so expensive in the UK but still more for money than Nikon or Canon. I will definitely be buying new as I want the warranty and extended warranty option. The K30 will go for repair. I'm told £210 inc Vat which should give a good second body. Let's hope so.

09-16-2016, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a great plan. I own a K-70, but admit that when it comes to sports, having a few more fps continuous shutter speed is desirable.
09-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jules99 Quote
At the moment i'm now considering the K3 or K3ii rather than the K70.
Good for you. If you can stretch to the K-3II, there are some nice additional features... pixel-shift resolution, GPS / astro-tracking, and compatibility with the very latest KAF4 lenses. For me personally, none of those features justifies the price differential (although I still own a K-3II as well as the K-3), but that really is a personal thing. Both the K-3 and K-3II are fantastic, pro-quality bodies and you really couldn't be disappointed with either. Or, if you should end up going with a K-70 instead, I'm sure you'll be delighted with that too.

Let us know how you get on?
09-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good for you. If you can stretch to the K-3II, there are some nice additional features... pixel-shift resolution, GPS / astro-tracking, and compatibility with the very latest KAF4 lenses. For me personally, none of those features justifies the price differential (although I still own a K-3II as well as the K-3), but that really is a personal thing. Both the K-3 and K-3II are fantastic, pro-quality bodies and you really couldn't be disappointed with either. Or, if you should end up going with a K-70 instead, I'm sure you'll be delighted with that too.

Let us know how you get on?
Bought the K3 plus another lens. Now why did he put that lens on the camera? DA 16 - 35 F3.5 - 5.6 ED DC WR. Flu card. Filter - of course. Wireless release. The battery is on charge.

---------- Post added 09-17-16 at 06:28 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for you constructive comments. I'm off to the Pentax dealer tomorrow for a very long chat and to look at various options. At the moment i'm now considering the K3 or K3ii rather than the K70. Pentax is so expensive in the UK but still more for money than Nikon or Canon. I will definitely be buying new as I want the warranty and extended warranty option. The K30 will go for repair. I'm told £210 inc Vat which should give a good second body. Let's hope so.
Deal done - K3. plus DA 16 - 85 mm F3.5 - 5.6 ED DC WR lens. Flu card. Wireless release and filter. Battery now charging... Then a firmware upgrade and off we go. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by jules99; 09-18-2016 at 02:06 AM.
09-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy…. I'm still happy with my K-3 al these years later,
09-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Bought the K3 plus another lens. Now why did he put that lens on the camera? DA 16 - 35 F3.5 - 5.6 ED DC WR. Flu card.
Congratulations It's one heck of a camera. The only real limitation with the K-3 is the photographer, and if you can show me how to fix that, I'll be eternally grateful
09-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Deal done - K3. plus DA 16 - 85 mm F3.5 - 5.6 ED DC WR lens. Flu card. Wireless release and filter. Batter now charging... Then a firmware upgrade and off we go. Thanks everyone.
Congratulations Jules. That's a fine combination.

I also went from a K-30 to a K-3. Don't be daunted by the extra buttons and functions on the K-3. The basic operations are the same. One change to note is that there is a separate button for changing the ISO (unlike the K-30 where you use the four-way controller). Hold the ISO button down and adjust the ISO setting with the rear wheel.

A helpful start with the K-3 is the PF review: Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews At page 11, there are recommendations for settings in the menu.

You won't believe how quiet the autofocus is on the 16-85, or how quiet the shutter is on the K-3.

09-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations. Treat yourself to a compact prime at some point for one-lens-days. The HD DA 21 or HD DA 40 are dynamite for walk-around. The inexpensive DA 40 XS won't disappoint either. One of the beauties of the Pentax system is the superb pancake lens assortment. The K-3 is a HUGE upgrade.
09-18-2016, 02:07 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Congratulations Jules. That's a fine combination.

I also went from a K-30 to a K-3. Don't be daunted by the extra buttons and functions on the K-3. The basic operations are the same. One change to note is that there is a separate button for changing the ISO (unlike the K-30 where you use the four-way controller). Hold the ISO button down and adjust the ISO setting with the rear wheel.

A helpful start with the K-3 is the PF review: Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews At page 11, there are recommendations for settings in the menu.

You won't believe how quiet the autofocus is on the 16-85, or how quiet the shutter is on the K-3.
Thanks Des. Will take a look
09-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm also looking at these models, and just wanted to say thanks everyone for an informative read.