Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

Need a Nudge to upgrade from K50 to K70. Thanks for any input1

I've read what I can on the K70 and think I "need" one. I have two K50s that I really enjoy, and I'm hoping for some improvement in IQ.
1. Does removal of the AA filter give a noticeable improvement in IQ?
2. Does the video mode really function well enough for occasional family clips. In other words, does it actually autofocus and stabilize?
3. Is there an actual improvement in low light shooting? Is ISO6400 relatively useful?
Any input from K50 users would be appreciated. I'm a realist and understand that IQ changes won't be like night and day, but I'm hoping there's at least some improvement.
As a fairly new Pentax user, I'm sure enjoying the experience! Great cameras that are fun to use.
I've also posted this question on the DP Review forum, hoping to get some input from K50 users.
Thanks for any help!
Jack

09-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Video mode is unchanged. SR is still electronic. AF during video is slow and noisy.
Pentax don't make DSLRs with good video features.
Image IQ is still relative to lens quality and user.
09-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
I've read what I can on the K70 and think I "need" one. I have two K50s that I really enjoy, and I'm hoping for some improvement in IQ.
2. Does the video mode really function well enough for occasional family clips. In other words, does it actually autofocus and stabilize?
3. Is there an actual improvement in low light shooting? Is ISO6400 relatively useful?
Any input from K50 users would be appreciated. I'm a realist and understand that IQ changes won't be like night and day, but I'm hoping there's at least some improvement.
As a fairly new Pentax user, I'm sure enjoying the experience! Great cameras that are fun to use.
I've also posted this question on the DP Review forum, hoping to get some input from K50 users.
Thanks for any help!
Jack
Regarding point #1, when I first got my K-3II and put my K-50 kit lens, the DA18-135WR on it, I thought I'd bought a new lens as well. The lack of AA filter, greater resolution and better SR conspired to allow sharper images more easily, hand held. I saw less improvement with the Limiteds since they are short focal lengths and sharp anyway.
On #2, no comment, I don't use video.
On point #3, Jpegs SOOC show noise at ISO 6400 when pixel peeping, but if you PP RAWs then I'm sure that can be knocked back some, I'll leave it to those with experience to comment there.
The K-70 looks very attractive, If I did not have the K-3II I'd be very tempted to get one. As the K-50 was my first DSLR, I got everything I needed in the viewfinder so even now, a year on I rarely use the top LCD.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's a good bang for the buck camera & the IQ is better than the K-50's IQ.

I suggest that you wait for the next generation APS-C flagship. If the K-70 is An indication of the Pentax future, I can only imagine what the next flagship will bring. 😁

09-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
<nudge>
09-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

"Just do it!"
09-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote

I suggest that you wait for the next generation APS-C flagship. If the K-70 is An indication of the Pentax future, I can only imagine what the next flagship will bring. 😁
Seconded. I can still shoot paid events with a K-30, but I'm expecting the next flagship to be something special.
09-22-2016, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for any help!
Jack
I actually upgraded from a K-50 to a K-70 and have the following feedback.

1. Yes, or at least I think so. The reason it's difficult to be sure is that the jump from 16Mpix to 24Mpix is really a large improvement. The level of detail is such that I've yet to try a Pixel Shift picture, but I'll be making a point to do that with some of my landscape pictures to get a good sense of that. As Kevin B123 states, when going through my lens selections it felt like they were new. Of course, those that are not SDM, DC or the new 55-300mm PLM still are noisy. That screwdrive sounds like an attachment for philips wouldn't be too outrageous.

2. I understand you already have a K-50 and that you've been using the video features that you are asking about. Rather than saying this isn't Pentax's strong point, I'll respond that it's the incremental improvements that make it useable if you don't have another solution for video recording and you want to keep the Pentax IQ rather than a different vendor's product.
  • It has a microphone input - the K-50 only used the built-in microphone and noisy lenses resulted in terrible audio.
  • AF-C (continuous AF) in Video is now possible but you need the nearly silent 18-150mm DC or better yet the new PLM lens.
  • New Video aperture-control function to ensure proper exposure level only works with the HD 55-300mm PLM lens. Future PLM lenses must be released!
  • Unfortunately video is still 1080p, 4K is only with time lapse. This resolution is not keeping up with the competition and is below the capabilities of the sensor.
  • Use a quality wireless mic close to the subject, even shotgun mics pick up too much noise.

This means that video is incrementally improved over that of the K-50. What is important to note is that the competition does do video better. If that is the primary reason for the upgrade, stick with the K-50 and wait for a better Pentax or jump to one of the solutions that really does video great. If video is secondary and you want to know if it'll be better than what you get with your K-50, the answer is yes "if" you use the correct lenses. Unfortunately we are still waiting to see if a firmware upgrade provide the hyped "Hybrid AF" because it'll be hunting for focus during your video recording. Plan your video shoot correctly and don't expect to use it with quickly moving subjects (not good for sporting events) and it'll be fine.

3. Heck yes! I am amazed about how much less noise there is at a number of the higher ISO ratings. Unlike the K-50, you'll find that many are quite acceptable and obviously a result of that "accelerator" chip added to the design to help process noise.

Because of the improved noise reduction at higher ISO's, it's easier to say that the differences are better at both Night and Day (see the play on words there?). As for the detail improvement with the higher resolution, it does mean that you can crop more and retain detail in the subject than before. That is primarily where the difference will be seen. If you are developing your full image from the K-50 and printing it, you'll have difficulty in distinguishing the additional detail from the K-70. Where that difference really shines is when you are cropping and then printing that crop at full size, the extra mp really helps at that time.

That said, it's a fantastic photographic instrument for less cost than a K3 II. If you are able to budget for it, the K3 II does have a better AF with 27 focus points to the 11 of the K-70, faster shutter speed, faster continuous shooting, longer battery life and a headphone port (huge if you want to hear the audio mix during your video recording).

Where the K-70 does have a slight edge is in terms of still having a decent built-in flash. It's just high enough to be off center and provide good flash results. A flash too close to the lens ends up being total garbage and the K-70 manages to avoid that classification with it's built-in flash. The K3 II removed it in order to basically merge the O-GPS1 into the camera body for built-in GPS. You can have that functionality with the O-GPS1 module and I use it for the Astrotrace feature for great astrophotography results. In fact, it was this single feature that attracted me to Pentax over Canon and Nikon cameras. I used the O-GPS1 with my K-50 and it works great on the K-70. Hopefully this feature is never dropped in future K series DSLR cameras as it works better than several barn-door type external mounts that I've tried over the years. Great job Pentax!

09-22-2016, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

09-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

When they removed the AA filter on the K5IIs (16MP), it was reported that the sharpness improved by about 8% over the K5II (the only difference being the AA filter) if you were looking for a quantitative measurement.
09-22-2016, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
When they removed the AA filter on the K5IIs (16MP), it was reported that the sharpness improved by about 8% over the K5II (the only difference being the AA filter) if you were looking for a quantitative measurement.
SeaRefractor and all other responders,......thanks for taking the time to help me out. All good input and a few things I had not considered, such as the better crops I might get. I'll keep using my K50s awhile and decide if I want to wait for the new things to come out. I doubt that I will. I like new cameras and I suspect the K70 is in my near future.

I appreciate your help, friends.

Jack
09-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Overall, the 24Mp resolution combined with the removal of the AA filter does lead to clearer images overall. Another improvement in the K-70 is a facelifted menu system with improved cosmetics and more customizability.

Finally, you get more accurate low-light AF (to -3EV) and faster live view focusing through new algorithms.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Personally, while I think the K-70 is a fine camera I would save up a bit extra and go with the K-3II, or find an inexpensive used K-3II. Some of the reasons I think this are:

1. Better balance of heavier lenses due to increased body weight.
2. Better battery life due to larger batteries.
3. Can be upgraded via firmware to support KAF 4 (new PLM type lenses).
4. Can add a grip for easier portrait orientation control access, more weight to offset heavier lenses, and gives more runtime due to second battery.
5. Astrotracer ability without a bulky external unit.
6. As far as I know, does not have any reported instances of aperture block failure, which can be an issue with the budget model cameras such as k-30, k-50, and some reported instances of k-70.

Those are the major reasons to consider the K-3II over the K-70. With the pricing between the 2 models being not that far off (cheaper if you go used), it makes a bit of sense. However the k-70 does still have a few advantages.

Advantages of k-70:

1. Has a built in flash
2. Has built in wi-fi connectivity
3. Has MOST of the features of the K-3II as well as what is previously mentioned.
4. It is lighter
5. D-Li109 batteries take less time to charge at the cost of having a smaller capacity.

Either way you'll get a great camera. Take your time and weigh the options.
09-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Personally, while I think the K-70 is a fine camera I would save up a bit extra and go with the K-3II, or find an inexpensive used K-3II. Some of the reasons I think this are:

1. Better balance of heavier lenses due to increased body weight.
Maybe the difference is that I happen to be left-handed, but I totally do not understand this preference for large bodies. I have always preferred a smaller body. Bodies became larger around the time that Canon launched the T-90, a film camera, so digital is not the culprit here; I would much prefer something the size of my old Pentax Super Program. On the relatively rare cases when I use a long lens, I resist the added torque by using my left hand to support the lens, just as I did with the Super Program.
09-24-2016, 01:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Maybe the difference is that I happen to be left-handed, but I totally do not understand this preference for large bodies. I have always preferred a smaller body. Bodies became larger around the time that Canon launched the T-90, a film camera, so digital is not the culprit here; I would much prefer something the size of my old Pentax Super Program. On the relatively rare cases when I use a long lens, I resist the added torque by using my left hand to support the lens, just as I did with the Super Program.
Torque might/might not be the correct word here. I could see torque in reference to the AF action of the lens from the screwdrive, but I follow that more of in terms of motor vehicle terminology. I did get your point though in what you were getting at. The larger bodies that the cameras have these days do have the added bonus of more space to distribute weight when attached to a tripod/monopod head, so that is a plus. Too bad camera makers don't think like instrument manufacturers and make models for lefties, it's a niche, but small batches would probably sell.

So if I were to guess, either the K-01 or the Q would be more of what you like in camera bodies?