Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

upgrade to k-70 from the k-50?

is it worth it from the k-50?

looking to see who has done it and it if it worthwhile.

thanks for the feedback.

10-10-2016, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think so. You get less high-ISO noise, better dynamic range, more resolution, and a nicer UI. Add to that better AF in low light and faster live view AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks.

the k-50 is still a great camera.

just looking at my other options.

you recommended i get the 18-135 which i am glad i listened to you.
10-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its also worth upgrading to the K1!

10-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pixel Shift plus 24mp, plus KAF4 mount...

Alternatives would be K-3 (no pixel shift, no KAF4 mount, not as good at high ISO), K-3ii (see K-3, remove pixel shift from the missing items). K3/K3ii add some other value like dual card slots and battery grip options etc.
10-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Pixel Shift plus 24mp, plus KAF4 mount...

Alternatives would be K-3 (no pixel shift, no KAF4 mount, not as good at high ISO), K-3ii (see K-3, remove pixel shift from the missing items). K3/K3ii add some other value like dual card slots and battery grip options etc.
K-3 II and K-S2 have firmware updates to allow for KAF4 lenses.
10-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And no flippy screen on the K-3 or K-3ii. K-3ii offers KAF4 mount; K-3 doesn't.

K-3 has popup flash (very handy with a Rogue Safari for telephoto use, and allows master or controller function for remote flash); K-3ii has GPS instead.

I'd seriously consider a flagship model if you don't need the lighter weight or particular extra features in the K-70. The K-3/K-3ii add better AF, greater durability, more buttons for key functions, top LCD screen, quiet shutter, more customisation, much better dust control, and other little things that don't necessarily show up in the comparison table.

10-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

I upgraded from a K-50 to the K-70.

I belive it's worth it. Besides the improved resolution, higher ISO support (with low noise due to the accelerator chip), KAF4 mount (new electronic lenses for aperture control potentially cannot have the lock issue as encountered on some K-30 and K-50 cameras) and the Pixel Shit (that's what DigitalREV TV called it)... It's the ergonomics.

I like the grip and the placement of the AE/L button for "back button focus" it's easy to perform single handed.

Gone are the 120 body color choices, but those were short lived anyway.

I went for all black, but the silver has a real nice gunmetal appearance.
10-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
K-3 II and K-S2 have firmware updates to allow for KAF4 lenses.
I mentioned the kaf4 for the k3ii. The other camera is a downgrade from the k70 so I did not mention it.

---------- Post added 10-10-16 at 08:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

K-3 has popup flash (very handy with a Rogue Safari for telephoto use, and allows master or controller function for remote flash); K-3ii has GPS instead.

I'd seriously consider a flagship model if you don't need the lighter weight or particular extra features in the K-70. The K-3/K-3ii add better AF, greater durability, more buttons for key functions, top LCD screen, quiet shutter, more customisation, much better dust control, and other little things that don't necessarily show up in the comparison table.
Yes I forgot to mention flippy screen - good catch. I couldn't recall if the k70 has gps or a flash so I didn't mention those. I didn't forget the kaf4, I call it out actually.
10-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I couldn't recall if the k70 has gps or a flash
Popup flash, with wireless control.
10-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Popup flash, with wireless control.
Thanks! I could not recall. So it is the only Pixel Shift camera that offers built in on-board flash.
10-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So it is the only Pixel Shift camera that offers built in on-board flash.
Yes - probably a new standard for the entry/intermediate models.

With no AA filter, 24mp sensor, 14 bit RAW, -3EV AF, pixel shift, flippy screen, continuous AF in video, the K-70 would be quite a substantial upgrade from a K-30/K-50.
10-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Should say what lenses you have, lgbalfa. Also your intended use. New camera might not be the best option. The K50 has very good image quality, a lens may be a better use of the old hard earned...
10-11-2016, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #14

Ready to Upgrade

I'm not a long time Pentaxian. However, I do own two K50s and 18-135mm and 55-300mm lenses. Every time I use the k50, I am more impressed by how much fun it is and what great little special features it has. I'm a jpeg shooter but love the ability to press the little button on the left to enable a single RAW file. Also the ability to (sometimes) retrieve the RAW info from the last shot. Not sure why it works sometimes and other times doesn't? I like to occasionally process these raws in camera to change the white balance or add some light. I need to explore the green button features. I use it now to reset EV and find that helpful.

My favorite mode is M, allowing me to use F8 and a fast shutter of say 1/1000th, and still get a very usable shot with some depth of field, such as on a group of ducks or a small group of wild parrots in a tree. I can usually get them all in focus. My Panasonic m43 system is not nearly as versatile.

I've really considered the K70 especially for the flippy screen and improved video autofocus. However, there are features of the top end cameras, such as faster burst, that I value.

My current thinking is to wait for the next flagship model, which will most likely have the K70 improvements added.

Is there any indication when the next cameras might be announced?

Thanks for any info or rumors!

Jack
10-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another iteration of a similar discussion here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/331620-k70-k3ii-please-help.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
Every time I use the k50, I am more impressed by how much fun it is
Same with the K-30. Although the K-3 has spoiled me a bit. I really notice things like the shutter noise (ker-LUNK) and relatively slow and less accurate AF.on the K-30 (and noisy with the 55-300). And the constant battle with dust on the sensor is a PITA. But it is still light and easy and fun to use. It's more forgiving of slight misfocus than the K-3.

I need to explore the green button features
Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

My current thinking is to wait for the next flagship model, which will most likely have the K70 improvements added.
(And some trickle-down of features from the K-1.) That's what I'm thinking too - unless the K-1 comes down a lot.

Is there any indication when the next cameras might be announced?
Not that I'm aware of. Just speculation: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/316134-when-what-k3ll-replacement.html

But here is the launch cycle of previous flagship models ("launch" seems to mean announcement rather than availability in shops):
K10D 2006
K20D 2008
K-7 2009
K-5 Oct 2010
K-5ii/K-5iis Oct 2012
K-3 Oct 2013
K-3ii April 2015
Joining the dots, you'd say that since it wasn't launched at Photokina, the next model will probably be either April or October 2017.

Last edited by Des; 10-11-2016 at 05:16 PM.