Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do think that these cameras should be reviewed primarily as still cameras and then if you want to have a separate video evaluation, that is fine. But truthfully, if you are going to do a video review, then you should compare it to comparably priced camcorders. And if you compare any of these cameras to a 500 dollar camcorder, what you will find is that none of them auto focus as well, have as good ergonomics -- the only thing they do well is have the ability to shoot with interchangeable lenses and therefore shoot with more shallow depth of field. Which is useful in certain situations, but in 90 percent of situations the camcorder is going to out perform your SLR with regard to video.

11-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But.. it is more affordable than the Canikon cameras it was tested against, it has two e-dials, WR, in-body SR, pentaPRISM (not mirror, like the Canikons) with much better coverage. All of these are top points for anyone who wants to do more than just Auto mode P&S.
Why is a DSLR judged by a slow kit lens and its video capabilities? In my book, the K-70 beats the Canon Rebel T6i, Nikon D5500 no question.

But I may be old-fashioned, using a DSLR for still photography.
Did you click through to the review? DPR rated the camera high for value and highest overall (tied with the D5500) of the three.

Steve
11-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #18
Forum Member

As a K70 user I reckon it's a fair review. Yes, there is an element of 'parts bin' design but when you're pulling features from the K1 and K3-II and packaging them at a lower-mid price point that's not a problem, IMO. I will totally agree that hardcore video enthusiasts should be looking elswhere. I'm surprised that it is so much heavier than the competition - it doesn' feel it to me. Maybe a fairer comparison would be the full-up weight of a weatherproof body and lens(es) from CaNikon.

Future suggestion for Ricoh - using the accelerometer feedback to stabilise the LiveView in still mode. One step closer to the stabilised lens only cheaper, lighter and retaining the ovewhelming adavantages of IBIS.
11-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not by DPR at least. My opinion is that the K-70 in many ways fit more advanced users than do the T6i and D5500.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you click through to the review? DPR rated the camera high for value and highest overall (tied with the D5500) of the three.
Damn straight!

11-21-2016, 04:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You guys still bother to give DPR traffic?

Let it die in irrelevance (at it to Pentax users).
11-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
As a K70 user I reckon it's a fair review. Yes, there is an element of 'parts bin' design but when you're pulling features from the K1 and K3-II and packaging them at a lower-mid price point that's not a problem, IMO. I will totally agree that hardcore video enthusiasts should be looking elswhere. I'm surprised that it is so much heavier than the competition - it doesn' feel it to me. Maybe a fairer comparison would be the full-up weight of a weatherproof body and lens(es) from CaNikon.

Future suggestion for Ricoh - using the accelerometer feedback to stabilise the LiveView in still mode. One step closer to the stabilised lens only cheaper, lighter and retaining the ovewhelming adavantages of IBIS.
Or better, also use an optical element in the viewfinder which basically works as optical Image Stabilization - but for OVF only instead of lens, route the accelerometer info along with focal length to the stabilization mechanism of the optical element in the OVF.

same concept as OIS.
11-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #22
KDD
Veteran Member

Let all you know when you complain or disagree with DPR on comments, DPR hide your comment. You don't see any more comment. Check your comment but first log out dpr, you will see no show your user and comments gone. DPR idea.