Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2016, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

How to change ISO while LCD is facing camera body?

I do a lot of shooting from a kayak and was planning to reverse the LCD screen so that it faces inward against the camera body when things get rough. But it seems certain adjustments can not be made w. the screen in that position, ie. ISO.

Does anyone know if the K-70's ISO adjustment can be set up to work w/o viewing the LCD screen in its normal position? Thanks.

11-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You could select TAv Mode and watch the ISO change in the viewfinder as you alter Av and Tv with the rear and front control dials. Alternatively you could use any of the Tv, Av, or Sv Modes, and go to Camera Menu 5, choose Button Customisation, followed by E-Dial Programming, then select one of the options for each mode that gives you control of ISO on either the rear or front control dial.
11-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

There's an under documented feature that used to be on the bodies prior to adding a dedicated ISO button. Press the "Ok" button on the 4-way controller when the meter is on. ISO only will display in the viewfinder and you can change it with the front eDial. See if that works on the K-70.
11-25-2016, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K-70 at hand, but figure there is no harm in suggesting. Try this while looking through the viewfinder:
  1. Up-arrow on the four-way controller to enable change ISO
  2. Down-arrow for fixed ISO
  3. Rear e-dial (or front, whichever works) to adjust fixed ISO, new value should be visible in the viewfinder
  4. OK to confirm and exit (half-press on the shutter release may also work)
I don't believe the camera needs the rear LCD to be active in order to change non-menu settings.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-25-2016 at 05:47 PM.
11-29-2016, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #5

It works just like stevebrot wrote (step 2 is not necessary as with the screen facing toward camera body you can only set fixed ISO value). To return to Auto ISO press the green button while in ISO select mode. You won't be able to change the upper and lower ISO setting for Auto ISO without flipping the LCD towards you though.
12-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There's an under documented feature that used to be on the bodies prior to adding a dedicated ISO button. Press the "Ok" button on the 4-way controller when the meter is on. ISO only will display in the viewfinder and you can change it with the front eDial. See if that works on the K-70.
Thanks, but that work-around doesn't seem to work on the K-70. With LCD screen turned towards the body and meter on, pressing the "OK" button doesn't seem to do anything when either eDial is used. Holding the "OK" button also doesn't seem to do anything.

---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't have a K-70 at hand, but figure there is no harm in suggesting. Try this while looking through the viewfinder:
  1. Up-arrow on the four-way controller to enable change ISO
  2. Down-arrow for fixed ISO
  3. Rear e-dial (or front, whichever works) to adjust fixed ISO, new value should be visible in the viewfinder
  4. OK to confirm and exit (half-press on the shutter release may also work)
I don't believe the camera needs the rear LCD to be active in order to change non-menu settings.
Steve
Thanks Steve, but the procedure you laid out doesn't seem to work.

Tried it in the Av (Aperture Priority) mode, which I normally use, and also the AUTO and P modes. And a line never appears below the ISO setting in the viewfinder indicating it can be changed via an eDial. The only way I can achieve this is in Sv (Sensitivity Priority) mode, but then I lose control of the aperture & shutter speed settings which are being set automatically.

Also tried having ISO AUTO set initially, and then your procedure, but no luck.

Actually, it looks like none of the four-way controller dial settings can be altered w. the LCD screen closed towards the camera body. Looks like I need to come up with another work-around.

Even w. an LCD protector installed, the screen is going to get smashed eventually shooting one-handed from all the action in a moving kayak. Rapidly changing luminosity from canyon walls, trees etc., really require ISO to be changed. I have tried the ISO AUTO setting, but it just doesn't seem to come up w. the best aperture/shutter combinations I require.
12-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by *Rich Quote
Thanks Steve, but the procedure you laid out doesn't seem to work.
That sucks...

QuoteOriginally posted by miky Quote
It works just like stevebrot wrote (step 2 is not necessary as with the screen facing toward camera body you can only set fixed ISO value). To return to Auto ISO press the green button while in ISO select mode. You won't be able to change the upper and lower ISO setting for Auto ISO without flipping the LCD towards you though.
Perhaps you two can trade a few private messages to figure out what is different between setups.

Steve

12-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have tried the ISO AUTO setting, but it just doesn't seem to come up w. the best aperture/shutter combinations I require.
TAv mode?

Steve
12-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
TAv mode?

Steve
Nope. Looks like none of the four-way controller based settings can be adjusted w. the LCD screen facing the camera body.
12-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The method I outlined in Post #2 works with the K-70 - which is why I wrote the post!

E.g. I have just tested it again by setting it in Tv Mode - front dial for Tv and rear dial for ISO - closed the LCD and used the dials - watched the Av vary appropriately in the viewfinder as each dial is turned to different values.

Try it!

Last edited by MrB1; 12-09-2016 at 04:45 AM.
12-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #11

I've just checked my settings and have to give a correction to my previous post. You can change the ISO on Sv mode - that's the standard funkcionality and then you can change it in Tv and Av modes by setting up the eDial in Button customization to Tv/ISO/ISOAuto for Tv mode and ISO/Av/ISOAuto for Av mode. Then when shooting with closed LCD, you just use the other dial for change of ISO value.
12-10-2016, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
You could select TAv Mode and watch the ISO change in the viewfinder as you alter Av and Tv with the rear and front control dials. Alternatively you could use any of the Tv, Av, or Sv Modes, and go to Camera Menu 5, choose Button Customisation, followed by E-Dial Programming, then select one of the options for each mode that gives you control of ISO on either the rear or front control dial.
Thanks. Downloaded the extended User Manual and studied the details of doing this. I shoot in Av mode, so I set the front eDial to adjust aperture while the rear eDial adjusts ISO. Works great, even w. the LCD screen turned towards the body for protection. I can see the adjusted ISO in the viewfinder. Thanks.
12-11-2016, 01:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks. Downloaded the extended User Manual and studied the details of doing this. I shoot in Av mode, so I set the front eDial to adjust aperture while the rear eDial adjusts ISO. Works great, even w. the LCD screen turned towards the body for protection. I can see the adjusted ISO in the viewfinder. Thanks.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"
03-22-2017, 01:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

And is there any posibility to change ISO in M mode without switching controller regime? It is very uncomfortable. To change ISO and then go back to AF-points I have to do too much actions: switch regime, press Up-arrow, change ISO, again switch regime.