Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
@following.eric: I had a K-50 and I have a K-70. It is an upgrade, but I'm finding that the AF is soo close to the results with the K-50 that if you find you need more AF capabilities, I'd recommend the K3II. As for the sensor upgrade and the noise reduction, I'm quite happy with it. As for the AFC in Video? It works but can easily hunt during recording, so I frequently change it back to AFS and plan my shots to not require focusing changes during the video recording. I also turn off that terrible digital shake reduction that is used only for video as it creates wobbly shots during panning. I understand the mechanical SR was not utilized for concern of noise, but with an external microphone this needs to be added as a choice.

@John Photo: I love my K-70 but that's primarily because I am going for stills and only occasionally do video but with a plan that works around the limitations to great effect. If it's primarily video with the occasional stills, I'd second the Panasonic GH4 or GH5 as it's not the strength of any of the Pentax bodies at this time from ASP-C, Full Frame or Medium format.

01-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
@following.eric: I had a K-50 and I have a K-70. It is an upgrade, but I'm finding that the AF is soo close to the results with the K-50 that if you find you need more AF capabilities, I'd recommend the K3II. As for the sensor upgrade and the noise reduction, I'm quite happy with it. As for the AFC in Video? It works but can easily hunt during recording, so I frequently change it back to AFS and plan my shots to not require focusing changes during the video recording. I also turn off that terrible digital shake reduction that is used only for video as it creates wobbly shots during panning. I understand the mechanical SR was not utilized for concern of noise, but with an external microphone this needs to be added as a choice.

@John Photo: I love my K-70 but that's primarily because I am going for stills and only occasionally do video but with a plan that works around the limitations to great effect. If it's primarily video with the occasional stills, I'd second the Panasonic GH4 or GH5 as it's not the strength of any of the Pentax bodies at this time from ASP-C, Full Frame or Medium format.
Thanks. I guess for the small difference in price the k3ii would make sense. Only thing you wouldnt gain would be the pixel shift. But you would gain the built in a astro.

I also think my k50 is showing signs of an aperture motor problem so guess I'll have no choice to upgrade.
01-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
Thanks. I guess for the small difference in price the k3ii would make sense. Only thing you wouldnt gain would be the pixel shift. But you would gain the built in a astro.

I also think my k50 is showing signs of an aperture motor problem so guess I'll have no choice to upgrade.
K3II Pixel Shift is there PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING
01-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
K3II Pixel Shift is there PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING
ya I realized after that it did have the Pixel Shift, I forget with all the hype that the k-70 and k-1 get about having pixel shift, that it has been around a while.

Debating holding off for a k3ii follow up. Typical consumer problems. what to buy and when. Right now figure better glass is a safe purchase and see from there.

01-12-2017, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

^ I'm in the same boat as you. I have 2 K-50 bodies & 4 lenses, but I'm waiting to see what Pentax does with their upcoming APS-C flagship. I'm hoping for improved AF performance in all respects, especially in low light tracking, improved IBIS, & improved IQ. My biggest want is improved AF. It has to meet or beat the Nikon D7200's AF performance in all respects 'cause if it doesn't, I won't be getting one. This is also the reason why I've been holding off on purchasing any other Pentax lenses for now. I'd really like to stay with Pentax, but it all depends on the AF performance of the upcoming flagship.

I'm not an early adopter for the most part, but I might be an early adopter for that camera if Pentax delivers the goods in it. I'll get it around December of this year. That's if it is actually released this year, online reviews are good, & early adopter reviews are good. My guess is that the body will go for +-$1,300.

The K-3II is still a good buy, but chances are that it will start to drop its price tag if that other flagship comes out. Last year, the price on the K-3II body sunk as low as $727 on Amazon near the end of February. That was the lowest that I've even seen.

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera Body W/AF-200FG Shoe Mount Flash/D-BG5 Battery Grip

^ Adorama is currently selling the K-3II with a grip & flash for $900. Keep looking at the price watch forum & chances are that you'll be able to score a smoking deal on the K-3II later on.
01-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good! Decision made... saves me from writing a post...
01-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Photo Quote
Great input; thanks to all. I did a ton of research, back and forth on alternatives, more research, etc, etc. I would really have liked to go with the K70 but simply could not get past the poor autofocus performance for video/action. So, while I still have my trusty K110d, I opted for the Canon 80D. I'm working at getting oriented to the new gear and am pleased with it thus far. Thanks again for the responses!!!
That's a very great camera. Have fun with it!

01-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ I'm in the same boat as you. I have 2 K-50 bodies & 4 lenses, but I'm waiting to see what Pentax does with their upcoming APS-C flagship. I'm hoping for improved AF performance in all respects, especially in low light tracking, improved IBIS, & improved IQ. My biggest want is improved AF. It has to meet or beat the Nikon D7200's AF performance in all respects 'cause if it doesn't, I won't be getting one. This is also the reason why I've been holding off on purchasing any other Pentax lenses for now. I'd really like to stay with Pentax, but it all depends on the AF performance of the upcoming flagship.

I'm not an early adopter for the most part, but I might be an early adopter for that camera if Pentax delivers the goods in it. I'll get it around December of this year. That's if it is actually released this year, online reviews are good, & early adopter reviews are good. My guess is that the body will go for +-$1,300.

The K-3II is still a good buy, but chances are that it will start to drop its price tag if that other flagship comes out. Last year, the price on the K-3II body sunk as low as $727 on Amazon near the end of February. That was the lowest that I've even seen.

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera Body W/AF-200FG Shoe Mount Flash/D-BG5 Battery Grip

^ Adorama is currently selling the K-3II with a grip & flash for $900. Keep looking at the price watch forum & chances are that you'll be able to score a smoking deal on the K-3II later on.
Ya will always be a battle and I'm sure all camera owners go through it. We all want new and this and that, but comes with a price. At the moment I am still a photographer enthusiast who's still learning and getting better, so at this point the AF wouldnt be a deal breaker since most of my time is spent trekking and landscapes. Even if I had good AF and better tracking, I wouldn't have a fast enough lens to matter. I might not even know what I'm missing since this is my first and only DSLR. The idea of switching brands seems like a headache lol. And over priced for my needs at the moment. 80D is double the price compared to importing a k3ii in NZ. Logic tells me to just wait and see. The k-50 gets me good shots when conditions are good. Continue to improve and learn and keep an eye out for good deals.

If they do announce a new model then it will be a whole new story, Will get a steal on a k3, a good deal on a k3II.

But back the original thread. With the k3II coming down in price and being more powerful than the k70. I don't see why more people wouldnt pay the extra hundred bucks and just get the k3II the much better camera.
01-12-2017, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

It has to meet or beat the Nikon D7200's AF performance in all respects 'cause if it doesn't, I won't be getting one.
Quit wasting time and buy your D7200. Pentax has never matched any Canon or Nikon AF on similar models, and it's not going to happen now, There's no guarantee that even if the AF did improve, there would be lenses to take advantage of it. SDM isn't your friend. With the new DFA lenses, they are fast, but if the camera's AF module became faster than current ones, could they even keep up? We don't know. How much of your life do you plan to work with gear that doesn't meet your needs before you go for something that does.? Two things have tohappen for faster AF. Faster AF modules, and faster AF motors. The odds of either thing happening before the next APS-c model change are small, the odds of them both happening are minuscule.

Technique trumps AF speed.
01-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Photo Quote
Informative review. I have an older Pentax K110D. I am looking at upgrading to add capabilities primarily for landscape and nature (audience is self, family and friends), which would include: decent video, good continuous focus for wildlife, easy sharing capability, and a pivoting touchscreen would be nice.
Well.. with the exception of the last bits - i.e. continuous focus and decent video, the K-70 would be a good choice. If you need something that focuses better/faster and continuously, you need a different camera system.
01-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #26

Original Poster
That's a very great camera. Have fun with it!
I think it is! Very flexible (working at learning the controls well); so far so good. You know one of the biggest differences I am still adjusting to from my trusty K110 is one of the simplest: placement of the shutter release button lol !!