Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Pentax owner dilemma

Informative review. I have an older Pentax K110D. I am looking at upgrading to add capabilities primarily for landscape and nature (audience is self, family and friends), which would include: decent video, good continuous focus for wildlife, easy sharing capability, and a pivoting touchscreen would be nice. So, I'm disappointed that the K-70 does a relatively poor job in these areas (my hopes were much higher). So my choices are: 1) wait until Pentax brings out something that meets my needs, 2)change systems to ..??... (I do like flexibility) trying to stay under $1000 with body and 2 zooms (kit). The Nikon d5500 appears to fit a system change, but it sounds like the burst buffer is too small/slow to practically shoot more than app 5 frames before it really slows. The Canon 80D would be about perfect but at best it is $300 over budget. I am thinking the Canon t6i is a decent compromise, albeit not perfect) within budget. Any bets on how soon Pentax might come up with a body with decent continuous autofocus??

12-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't hold your breath on either video or autofocus. The K-70 just came out and the K-3 II replacement is up next. At best the next low-end body will get the same AF as the K-3 II in a year or two. Any improvements to tracking AF will be limited to the high-end body.
12-18-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

Any of the current Pentax DSLRs AF systems is way advanced from K110D days.

Bear in mind that the K-3II uses the SAFOX 11 AF engine, whereas the K-70 uses the older SAFOX X as found in the K-5II. Plenty of K-3 and K-3II owners (myself included) are very happy with the AF performance, including continuous AF, though arguably it isn't quite as good as some of the competition - but it's still very capable, and people have great success with sports, motorsports, birds in flight etc. Of course, the K-3II doesn't have an articulating screen, and it's $200 more expensive than the K-70, but it's very good value for money and a highly robust, "pro" quality model.

As for video, none of Pentax's current DSLRs scores highly on this. We have some pro video shooter members who get excellent results, but it takes technique and additional equipment. Casual video users are better served elsewhere.

As to whether you should wait, take the plunge with an existing Pentax model, or choose another brand, I really think that's something only you can decide. Many of us here shoot more than one brand of camera for various reasons, and we're all a little different in what matters to us most. You should choose what you think you'll be happiest with

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-18-2016 at 11:34 AM.
12-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums

Thanks for welcome and the quick replies. Actually, I was (am) a Forum member several years back, got busy with other things, and got away from shooting much----and, of course, could not recall/find my previous account info

The K3II is a consideration, but as pointed out, it is a bit more costly (particularly for its "age"), video-challenged, and no touch/articulating screen.

12-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Photo Quote
The K3II is a consideration, but as pointed out, it is a bit more costly (particularly for its "age"), video-challenged, and no touch/articulating screen.
If video is important to you, and you want that in the same body as your stills photography, I'd honestly recommend you look at a different brand and system. Pentax video won't be vastly better any time soon.

The age of the K-3II doesn't count against it... when you look at the image quality, performance, features, build quality and price, it's an astounding camera for the money, and personally speaking I would always prefer "proven" over "latest". As for the articulating screen, perhaps the next high end model will have one, along with further-improved AF, but that's going to be more expensive than the K-3II is currently. I doubt that new model will have a touch screen either, and I suspect a large number of us don't care for them...

Personally, I don't feel that waiting achieves a great deal. Every day you wait for a new model and what may or may not come to fruition, is a day you could be out shooting with the best of the currently-available technology (whichever brand you choose).
12-18-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Photo Quote
I am looking at upgrading to add capabilities primarily for landscape and nature....trying to stay under $1000 with body and 2 zooms (kit). The Nikon d5500 appears to fit a system change, but...Any bets on how soon Pentax might come up with a body with decent continuous autofocus??
I agree with everything that has been posted so far. I would only add that with the D5500 you would be giving up weather-sealing, IBIS (in body image stabilization), and a brighter pentaprism viewfinder. To me, that would be problematic if your primarily shooting outdoor landscapes and nature. With Nikon, youʻd need to consider at least the D7100 (around $700), but at that point you might as well stay in the Pentax family with the K-70 for $50 less plus youʻre not investing in more lenses. *D5500=one control wheel for aperture/shutter; D7100, K-70, K3ii=dual control wheels.

Having a camera and two lenses with all the features you want wonʻt fit your budget...at which time, the smart money IMO goes to the K3ii.

A system change with what you want is not going to be cheap and the only one that I think is worth it today would be the D500. Itʻs the only recent camera that has really impressed me in terms of AF and ISO performance. Iʻve tested one and it still looks completely acceptable at ISO 10,000. But youʻll need to triple your budget for that dream and then even consider the K-1 for a bit less.

With that said, coming from your K110D, I think youʻll love the K-3ii although it doesnʻt check off every feature on your wish list.

Last edited by Alex645; 12-19-2016 at 11:33 AM.
12-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lumix might tick all the boxes. Check out the G7. The crop factor will mean relatively smaller lenses get you closer to wildlife.

12-18-2016, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought and tested side-by-side-by-side the K-3, Nikon D7000, and Canon 70D. For continuous AF, the speed and control-resolution of the motor in the lens made the biggest difference. Any differences beyond that involved training myself with each camera and practicing. I eventually sold the Nikon and the Canon and kept the K-3. Try training yourself and practicing with what you have before you spend money on another system. On the other hand, if video is what you are looking for, Sony seems to lead the industry in that department.
12-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

All I will contribute is don't go Canon. Their camera sensors have been trailing Sony manufactured sensors for the last five years.

If you didn't know, Sony sensors r used by Sony, Nikon, Pentax and Fujifilm.
12-19-2016, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
John, do you realise that wiith the Nikon you'd also give up on focus peaking, you can't correct any front or back focus in your lenses, and you lose all AF in legacy Nikon glass?

As Alex points out, you won't have WR and because of the lack of IBIS there will be lenses where you will be a three or even four stop disadvantage compared to the Pentax.

Still, it's your money - get what you like.

Last edited by clackers; 12-19-2016 at 03:49 AM.
12-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #11

Original Poster
All great comments and look forward to additional ones. The Pentax forums are such a great place.

I would certainly appreciate being able to correct for slight back\front focus issues. I've done a fair amount of research and have more to do. I do appreciate my Pentax K110D, its essentially rock-solid and a great layout, as are all Pentax dslr's. If I could add just a feature or two to the K70.....dilemma solved!!! lol.
12-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome (back) to the forum John.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-19-2016 at 09:00 PM.
12-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'd also say that if you're looking for good video performance, you definitely want to look elsewhere. The mirrorless world does pretty well in video, especially Panasonic & Sony. Even Olympus is better at video. Canon would be the only good DSLR for video. It's probably going to be a long time for Pentax to catch up in the video department.

As far as AF performance in the DSLR world goes, Nikon seems to be the king for the most part. In the battle of the flagship pro models, the Nikon D5, Canon 1DX, Nikon D500, & Canon 7DII pretty much rule the AF area. However, even Sony is catching up with the new A6500 mirrorless. Olympus is also catching up with the OMD E-M1 Mark II. But yeah. They're all extra pricey. Out of the higher end APS-C models (D80, D7200, K-3II, A77II), Nikon still has slightly better tracking AF.

I'm really hoping that Pentax will at least equal or pass the AF performance of the Nikon D7200. I'm not even asking for much 'cause the D7200 is already "old" & will probably be replaced in a year or 2. The next D7xxx will probably blow away the next generation Pentax APS-C flagship at AF performance once again, though. It's all relative.

But yeah! If video is definitely something that you want to do, take a look at the Panasonic & Sony mirrorless cameras. I'd say that Panasonic is probably the king of video in the mirrorless world. I'll probably get tarred & feathered for saying this, but I really do think that even the A6500 will blow away the K-3II at AF performance in just about every respect & does video as well. However, there is the price tag.... Hahaha! There there is the whole issue of not enough Sony APS-C lenses, the wobbly jello like video, blah, blah, blah,................ & so forth & so on. You give up something for something.
01-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #14

Original Poster
Great input; thanks to all. I did a ton of research, back and forth on alternatives, more research, etc, etc. I would really have liked to go with the K70 but simply could not get past the poor autofocus performance for video/action. So, while I still have my trusty K110d, I opted for the Canon 80D. I'm working at getting oriented to the new gear and am pleased with it thus far. Thanks again for the responses!!!
01-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Similar Dilemma but staying with Pentax

hey guys. (first Pentax forum post!)

I actually was fortunate to win a Pentax k-50 which kind of forced me into the Pentax DSLR world (although my first digital camera ever was the Pentax Optio S6). I pretty much couldn't be happier that I was kinda of handed a Pentax and didn't have to go through the whole choosing a brand and all that. So my problem is not switching from Pentax, but deciding to switch from the k-50. Three years down the road my knowledge and photography has continued to expand and I have always believe that it's not about the Camera that makes a photographer, but at some point you start to exceed the Capabilities of your Camera and you lust for more control, options...

Obviously I can't afford the K-1 and the lenses I would need. But I'm thinking sell my k-50 while I can still get some value you for it since it's replacement the k-70 only came out. But where would I go next. Upgrade to the k-70 or move to the K3ii which is older, but proven. Or wait and enjoy the k-50 until the K3ii replacement comes out, but that replacement might be out of my price range.

So pretty much as a k-50 shooter would the cheaper option k-70 be worth the upgrade or would I only be improving to a 24mp sensor, go for the proven k3ii and get value from my k-50 while I can or wait...

Currently building up some old classic lens and as always. getting out there and learning. Pentax Rocks.