Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
Well, what do you say about it... i've shot this few days ago via VF. As you can see the focus is only in the middle but the rest is out of focus like only the center is focused (used 11AF). So what to do in this case? Shall i go to Fine adjustment of AF?
Thanx UncleVanya my english is not great, i've setup my diopter to the best position (as you can see in a picture). I really don't know what else to do. I will try with FineAF but i am sceptical about the result. Looks like the lens isn't compatible with K-70

12-20-2016, 02:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yoko666 Quote
Well, what do you say about it... i've shot this few days ago via VF. As you can see the focus is only in the middle but the rest is out of focus like only the center is focused (used 11AF). So what to do in this case? Shall i go to Fine adjustment of AF?
Thanx UncleVanya my english is not great, i've setup my diopter to the best position (as you can see in a picture). I really don't know what else to do. I will try with FineAF but i am sceptical about the result. Looks like the lens isn't compatible with K-70
I wouldn't say that just now. Although I'm not a great fan of superzoom lenses (understatement of the century) I think your last example actually doesn't show anything seriously wrong with the lens. I'm assuming you are trying to compare edge sharpness on a non-flat subject and most of that unsharpness is simply due to the limited DOF of the 18-200mm. You are comparing it to the edge sharpness of the 18-55mm which has a much larger DOF at comparable apertures. You are then comparing between a 14Mp image and a 24Mp and finding the latter emphasizes (lack of-) edge-and corner-sharpness even more. Calibrate your lens on the K-70 or have someone do it for you - micro-adjustments can be tricky to apply correctly. If still unsatisfactory after that, it's maybe time for you to gradute from superzooms to better optics.

The 18-200mm isn't known for its great edge- or corner- sharpness, which is something a lot of superzooms have in common. Usually, people say that is no great disadvantage if the subject is in the center of the shot. If you want to shoot architecture, a superzoom is clearly not the best choice.
12-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's what we need:

1) JPG or RAW from K-70 showing the problem.
2) Same exact scene from K-30 showing no problem using the same exact settings.
3) Same as above for 18-55 from each camera showing no problem. Please use the same exact settings/location/subject etc. If the problem only occurs at > 55mm then that will have to be different but be sure to detail that.

Make sure to keep the EXIF intact and not to process the files.

BTW - the shot above is pretty nice as is.
I do think the issue may be the lens performance being more visibly less crisp than the 18-55 simply because of the higher density of pixels. Even when shooting JPGs at 14mp you are downsampling from 24mp and the sharpness may not be restored depending on the way it downsamples. The larger pixel sites on the older 16mp sensor are more forgiving.
06-20-2017, 03:44 AM   #19

Original Poster
So, did anyone experienced such issues so far or am i the only one?

06-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #20

But can you please someone explain how to do fine AF tuning?
And also on 14mp (this is the first option below 24mpx) the lens doesn't work OK
Go to menu, Customisation submenu ("C"), go to section "4" and select AF fine adjustment. You can use a ruler as a reference to make adjustments. I do notice that my k-70 does not AF very well with some third party lenses.
08-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have the Tamron 18-200 and had the same focus issues
I fitted the lens to the camera and after some experimenting settled on a fine focus adjustment to -2 and the lens/camera combination has performed much better over the full range of the lens. Here is a sample of a Macro shot at the full 200mm extension