Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are we sure the sensor is different? I was under the impression this was likely due to improved amplification and processing.
I am quite keen to know this too. Any one know?

01-13-2017, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From the PF review:
"Note that while the K-70 uses a 24-megapixel sensor, it is a completely new chip—not the one used in the K-3 or K-3 II. In fact, in some ways the new sensor outperforms the chip found in the flagship APS-C model."

01-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well... either way, I have a silver (grey) K-70 now. The lack of onboard flash (for my use - casual), was effectively the deal breaker.
K-3ii does come with better battery options, but I still have spares from my k-30.
01-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Well... either way, I have a silver (grey) K-70 now. The lack of onboard flash (for my use - casual), was effectively the deal breaker.
K-3ii does come with better battery options, but I still have spares from my k-30.
I'm sure you will love it. I'm with you on the flash - I picked up a K-3 rather than a K-3ii when it was still available new. I also couldn't justify an extra $200 per body on a pair of bodies at the time.

01-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I have the K7, we have had a very fine but unusually dark winter so far and anything above ISO 320 disappoints me so I have become increasingly frustrated and made up my mind to change upwards. I take mainly landscapes and try for sea birds that pass the winter here but without much luck, they usually wing it before you can get within striking distance. I have no interest in Video and my family have no interest in photography so all I have to do is please myself. I have no interest in LiveView as that usually requires a tripod and I don't like carrying a tripod around. After all one of Oscar Barnack's reasons for inventing the 35mm camera was to get rid of the tripod he had to lug around, (OK he had a stand camera and plates as well but why worry about minor technicalities).

Any camera by any maker these days is basically a computer with lens attached and as with all computers the new model is probably entering production as the latest one is announced so I did not wish to spend a fortune on a body which will be superseded tomorrow, as others have said putting your money into glass is a better investment so I started looking at second hand models.

I looked at the K5 IIs as I liked the idea of the missing AA filter, I read all the reviews and decided that the sensor was now just a bit too old when compared to the K3 / K3 II.

The K3 series sensor is now around 4 years old and most would agree it's due for an upgrade, made more likely now that the fuss in making the K-1 is over, with my luck the K4 or whatever it's called would be announced the day after purchasing the K3 II so I decided to pass on those options as well

I was very tempted by the K-S1 as you can now get a new one on line for around €270 and the sensor seems very good and it did most of the things I wanted including being lightweight, I don't do sports photography so slow AF etc., was not a worry but what did concern me was the lack of WR, not because I stand out in the rain taking photos but because I live on the coast with very changeable fast moving weather and you can easily get caught out.

So I moved onto the K-S2, virtually same as the K-S1 with weather sealing and a better grip and now available new on line for around €480. I am not impressed by the flip out screen as I have had one of those before (on a Samsung EX1) and found that unless the screen is perfectly lined up with the camera it's difficult for me to aim the lens at the subject while looking at the screen. The difference between the K-S2 and the K70, which is now at sale prices of around €598, was working out at only €198.

So I moved onto the K70, the better sensor with increased resolutions and upgraded processor was what really tempted me, I was a bit concerned as to whether or not the sensor would be too good for my M series lenses but having read through the "Pentax Lenses on FF Club" and seeing the results when used on the K-1, admittedly by far better photographers than myself, I was happy they would stand up to it. If I can get a good image with ISO 800 I will be very happy, Pixel shift technology is very fine I suppose but not where there is constant wind and again you probably need a tripod for best results so I skipped over that feature. Built in WiFi, well I don't have a smart phone and it if I am reading the review correctly it won't transfer directly to the computer so that's something else I don't have to master. Front and back focus adjustment, nice to have if you have lenses that need it but I wonder if this is just not a way of getting around low quality control tolerances in the lens making department. Weight - about the same as the K200D and about 50g lighter than the K7, it would have been nice if it had worked out as the K-S1 but I suppose X into Y still won't go. Batteries, if it took the same as the K7, K5, K3 it would have been better, as it is, space for another set of batteries and charger will have to be found. Video, well as the staff review pointed out the video is basically behind the posse but I'm a still photographer. I have often wondered why Pentax don't take a leaf out of Leica's book and make a basic model with just the bare necessities to take still photos better than anyone else.

So I pulled the trigger, hopefully it will arrive Friday.
Hi, I bought a K-70 around September/October 2016. I went to a beach today (cold day) to do some shooting for a class. Took maybe 20 pictures then when I got home I looked at the battery icon and it showed it was maybe at 90%. I'm going on a full-day photo shoot in a couple of weeks (also cold weather) and I'm wondering how many batteries I should take to get me through the day - just taking single shots and no movies. Any ideas? Thanks. Joyce Keay
01-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I think you will enjoy your K-70 I know I do. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago as an upgrade from a K-30 and so far it has exceeded expectations.
That's nice to know. I have been going back and forth on whether to repair or replace my K30. I keep finding new issues since it hit the floor a couple weeks ago. The replacement will be a K-70. I think a new K-70 fits the bill since I can move my Katzeye screen into it from the K30, as well as my batteries will still be usable.
01-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
That's nice to know. I have been going back and forth on whether to repair or replace my K30. I keep finding new issues since it hit the floor a couple weeks ago. The replacement will be a K-70. I think a new K-70 fits the bill since I can move my Katzeye screen into it from the K30, as well as my batteries will still be usable.
Similar reason for the upgrade for me. The battery eject clip broke off (little white tab), but the compartment still closes/latches and works. The other issue that I've been having is the reported aperture issue. A lot of my pictures are with the 18-135mm WR, and same with video. I've found the aperture issue to be a big enough issue to use manual lenses if I needed to take a truly reliable shot.

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 08:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, I bought a K-70 around September/October 2016. I went to a beach today (cold day) to do some shooting for a class. Took maybe 20 pictures then when I got home I looked at the battery icon and it showed it was maybe at 90%. I'm going on a full-day photo shoot in a couple of weeks (also cold weather) and I'm wondering how many batteries I should take to get me through the day - just taking single shots and no movies. Any ideas? Thanks. Joyce Keay
I guess it really depends on a few things:
1. Use of live view will drain the battery pretty quickly - I doubt that you're using it.
2. I'd recommend one spare.

On my K-30, I was typically able to get a couple hundred shots w/o issue as long as I didn't use flash or live view.

01-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my Aperture issue was repair not replaced back in early Nov. It was working fine till I bumped the release knob on the tripod. The retainer broke 2 years ago 1 month befpre the warranty ran out. It was replaced under warranty. Honestly tho I wasnt' going to have the lug replaced since the camera worked fine with out it. but since it was warrantied I went ahead and did. I still love that little camera.
01-18-2017, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
The retainer broke 2 years ago 1 month befpre the warranty ran out.
I had the battery retainer on my K30 snap over a year ago I think. For a while, I just lived with it. Then I lost the battery in the field when the door popped open somehow. Miraculously, the battery was eventually found.

My fix: I found a piece of thin, semi-rigid plastic, and cut out a "plate" approximately the size of the bottom of my camera, drilled a hole aligned with the tripod mount, and I hold it in place using my tripod quick release plate. It covers the bottom of the camera, and ensures the battery door will not inadvertently pop open. I can easily rotate the plate out of the way if needed to replace the battery. ( ie. no need to remove the quick release plate to get at the battery )

If you don't like the look of plastic, you can use a piece of thin aluminium.

If you don't have a quick release plate, or don't want it on your camera long term, you can sub a plastic or metal machine screw that will fit the tripod mount hole.
01-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm with you on the flash - I picked up a K-3 rather than a K-3ii when it was still available new. I also couldn't justify an extra $200 per body on a pair of bodies at the time.
I'm in the same camp regarding on-board flash. I don't know why it has to be a guilty secret. It's very handy for fill. I like it for wildlife with a Rogue Safari flash extender.

I saw a Fuji camera mentioned here recently where you could tilt the popup flash to bounce it. That seemed like a good idea.
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I found a piece of thin, semi-rigid plastic, and cut out a "plate" approximately the size of the bottom of my camera, drilled a hole aligned with the tripod mount, and I hold it in place using my tripod quick release plate. It covers the bottom of the camera, and ensures the battery door will not inadvertently pop open. I can easily rotate the plate out of the way if needed to replace the battery. ( ie. no need to remove the quick release plate to get at the battery )
Very ingenious solution to what seems to be a reasonably common problem.
01-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'm in the same camp regarding on-board flash. I don't know why it has to be a guilty secret. It's very handy for fill. I like it for wildlife with a Rogue Safari flash extender.

I saw a Fuji camera mentioned here recently where you could tilt the popup flash to bounce it. That seemed like a good idea.

Very ingenious solution to what seems to be a reasonably common problem.
My Panasonic GX-1 and my dad's GX-7 allow you to use your finger to point the flash up for bounce - it works in small spaces. He recently picked up a TTL unit Meike MK-320 for his GX-7 and loves it. So his bouncing days using the pop-up are probably over. But all the MK-320 does is work on camera - no remote TTL use. His needs are simple however.
05-07-2017, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Right now, I use KP and K-70 almost exclusively. I can see essentially no difference between my images from the KP and those from the K-70. The K-70 is such a great deal!
05-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

What can I say. My vintage K20D cannot do metering anymore. I have to make do with M mode - that is kind of inconvenient. To me lenses are more important than electronic. Hope it works out well
05-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #29

Since the K-70 works with old the vintage K mount lenses as well as the new KAF 4 with electronic aperture, then the K-70 does a great job of addressing from the lens perspective.
05-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #30
whafrog

I have a K-30 and am considering upgrading to a K-70...though maybe by this point there is a "K-90" in the works...?

I like to shoot in "challenging" weather, so the weather proofing is a big sales point. But the big question for me is how low can I go temperature-wise and have it still function (or at least not break when the shutter clicks). Back when I had a K-1000 the only issue was cocking the shutter slowly to prevent film breakage and static. In December-February here it can get to -30C on a regular basis, and I'd like to do some wilderness photography in mid-winter. I know I'd have to keep extra batteries in a warm place and swap them out regularly, but will the camera itself handle it? I've seen some articles that suggest digital cameras in general can handle these extremes, but I haven't tried it yet with my K-30...thoughts?