Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 06:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcake Quote
C.R.I.S. has a 3.5 star rating on yelp - not great, so i could see why users would want better. precision has a 2 star rating, which is pretty poor, and there were a fair number of sony users posting those low reviews as precision is also their warranty center.
PCR is so bad I wrote a scathing correspondence to Jim Malcolm (CEO Ricoh-Pentax USA) during the K-3 mirror flop period when I sent my K-3 in to PCR and got absolutely zero response for 2 months. Upon MY instigation, they decided to look around and, lo & behold, my K-3 was sitting on a shelf awaiting determination of payment! Of course, being a warranty issue, there WAS NO PAYMENT involved. So, it would have sat there forever. Once my correspondence hit Malcolm's desk, I got a phone call from Connecticut asking details, and I had my K-3 back in three days with profuse apologies. But, that doesn't seem to have "inspired" anybody at PCR to better customer service. It was a one-time shot. I will use ANYONE other than PCR. Ricoh-Pentax doesn't monitor Pentax forums. They don't even monitor their OWN forum! Warranties are only honored when YOU start getting aggressive and go to the top. Otherwise, you're nothing. As I told Malcolm, if I didn't have Pentax glass, I'd go Sony or Panasonic. Of course, YMMV but I'd doubt it. I've heard precious little praise for PCR.

02-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #17

As I said before if you follow the experiences with Precision for say the last six or eight months reported on PF there is a marked improvement on the communications front, time frames and outcome of the repairs. Their problem area appears to be lens repair but Precision seems to be sending more of these to Japan for servicing, something C.R.I.S. did too. Companies can improve. FWIW Jim Malcom is no longer with Ricoh.

You always have to take Yelp! reviews with a few grains of salt. There are only about 6 reviews of Precision from 2016, three are positive although one is for Precision Camera and Video in TX which is not even affiliated with Precision Camera Repair in CT. I didn't check to see if any of the negative reviews were for TX.

Besides when people were doing backflips over dumping C.R.I.S. I warned them not to count their chickens before the hatched and might be wishing for the "good old days of C.R.I.S.".