Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #1

Use rear wheel for ISO with M lenses?

I have a K-70 running firmware 1.10.

When using an "M" lens (SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7) I want to be able to shoot in M (manual) mode and have:

The front wheel change shutter speed,
The rear wheel change ISO,
Use the aperture ring on the lens.

Right now to change the ISO I have to press the ISO button on the d-pad, then use the rear wheel to change ISO, then press ok. Since all of that happens with the thumb it is quite slow and clumsy.

When shooting in M mode the rear wheel doesn't do anything anyway, why do I need to press the ISO button to make it change the ISO?

Is this too much to ask? It seems silly to have to press two buttons to be able to use a wheel wasn't doing anything else anyway.

When using a DA lens I'm able use the button customization menu to set Tv mode to have the front wheel shutter speed and rear wheel ISO without needing to push the ISO button to change ISO. That is not an option for M mode though. However Tv mode with an M lens becomes (wide open) Av mode.

I'm I missing something? Is this a reasonable thing to want? Is there a way to get it?

Thanks!

02-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I have it set that way on my k-30, I think it's under button customization but I can't remember off hand. I find it useful when shooting with DA lenses in AV or TV modes, but I assumed it can be used in M too?
02-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Dual-dial useless in manual mode with K and M lens series. - PentaxForums.com

A drawback from owning a lower priced model. On flagships there is a separate ISO button on the top deck. On the KP and K-1 you can use the smart function dial selector as well.

Not likely to change because of the "feature" gap between price class models, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-09-2017 at 08:51 PM.
02-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I think I have it set that way on my k-30, I think it's under button customization but I can't remember off hand. I find it useful when shooting with DA lenses in AV or TV modes, but I assumed it can be used in M too?
I don't think you can do it in M mode since each of the wheels is normally used for one of the primary controls.

The flagship series as well as the KP make ISO much easier to access, though, so you should consider that in the future if you're not happy with the K-70's interface.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A work around... set it in AV or TV and use the green button stop down meter?
02-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
A work around... set it in AV or TV and use the green button stop down meter?
I always understood that doesn't work. M lenses always require to be put in M mode and stop down meter? Not?
02-10-2017, 01:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
M lenses always require to be put in M mode and stop down meter? Not?
Correct.

It is however possible to use Av mode BUT the lens will always be wide open. It is not possible to use Tv mode at all

02-10-2017, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since it hasn't changed already, I'm sure it will never change, but the crippled functionality of K and M lenses has been a thorn in many long-time Pentaxian sides. It is a bit sad that a Sony E-mount body with adapter is easier to use for me. There are a lot of things I like much better with Pentax, but it is worth it to me to own an A7 series just to use my stable of K, M and 645 lenses ( double adapted) conveniently.
02-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is a bit sad that a Sony E-mount body with adapter is easier to use for me.
I assume that you set the aperture you want and the EVF alters brightness to compensate?
02-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is a bit sad that a Sony E-mount body with adapter is easier to use for me.
I assume that you set the aperture you want and the EVF alters brightness to compensate?
02-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Correct. You view in actual DOF. My adapters have a ring which allows focus wide open, but I hardly use it. With focus magnification, I can focus easily down to F/8, sometimes F/11. Dedicated flash works as do any exposure modes which do not control aperture. All these features have their limits, but using the lens works just like one would expect, given the features of the lens, rather than being required to use the green button or finding out that this or that adjustment is inexplicably unavailable.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-10-2017 at 07:07 AM.
02-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #12

On the flagship models if you set the DOF preview to optical operating the preview closes the aperture and activates the EV bar which is used as the exposure meter. You set the shutter speed with the front eDial and the f-stop with the aperture ring. You can change the ISO by pressing the ISO button and the turning the rear eDial.

It remains to be seen if the KP has this feature.