Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K70 vs Nikon/Canon counterparts

Hello everyone!

I have already chosen what Pentax camera I wanna buy. However, there are stil doubts about equality between Pentax,Canon and Nikon.
Can someone (ex Nikon or Canon owner) please tell me is there really significant difference in picture quality between Pentax K70 and his Nikon/Canon counterparts in favour of the latter?
I'm into stills so I don't mind K70s "lagging behind" in video respect.
What I wanna know is if pixel shifting really makes any difference, or if image stabilisation is the same/similar like IS of Nikon/Canon IS lenses.
Up till now I've been using Canon EOS 1D, very first model with 4MP. My wristwatch has more...so I'm not really competent to judge, I've never been using so much MP.
Thanks for any help!

03-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Viola
What cameras, specifically, are you comparing the K70 with?
Regards,
Mark
03-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by violaferenc Quote
Hello everyone!

I have already chosen what Pentax camera I wanna buy. However, there are stil doubts about equality between Pentax,Canon and Nikon.
Can someone (ex Nikon or Canon owner) please tell me is there really significant difference in picture quality between Pentax K70 and his Nikon/Canon counterparts in favour of the latter?
I'm into stills so I don't mind K70s "lagging behind" in video respect.
What I wanna know is if pixel shifting really makes any difference, or if image stabilisation is the same/similar like IS of Nikon/Canon IS lenses.
Up till now I've been using Canon EOS 1D, very first model with 4MP. My wristwatch has more...so I'm not really competent to judge, I've never been using so much MP.
Thanks for any help!
The K-70 and the latest Nikon 24Mp bodies use similar sensors, so the IQ should be neck-and-neck. In-body SR is generally advantageous since it gives you stabilized shooting with primes and manual lenses, and it's just as effective (if not better) except at very long focal lengths.

As for pixel shift, the AA filter simulator, and so forth- these features are unique to Pentax and thus give the brand a bit of an edge. That said, they are niche features that most users will probably leave alone. Things such as the many Pentax-unique drive modes might have a bigger practical significance.

Canon generally lags behind the other brands in terms of sensor image quality, but makes up for it in autofocus speed and video features.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-70 and the latest Nikon 24Mp bodies use similar sensors, so the IQ should be neck-and-neck. In-body SR is generally advantageous since it gives you stabilized shooting with primes and manual lenses, and it's just as effective (if not better) except at very long focal lengths.

As for pixel shift, the AA filter simulator, and so forth- these features are unique to Pentax and thus give the brand a bit of an edge. That said, they are niche features that most users will probably leave alone. Things such as the many Pentax-unique drive modes might have a bigger practical significance.

Canon generally lags behind the other brands in terms of sensor image quality, but makes up for it in autofocus speed and video features.
+1 on Adam's assessment. The ultimate difference will come down to the lens used and the photographer's skill and eye. The main advantage of Pentax is the cumulative value of higher end features on less expensive gear. Kit zoom lenses that are WR. IBIS that effectively makes all lenses as if they had VR/IS. Pentaprisms at the entry level unlike pentamirrors on similarly priced Canon and Nikon. Dual control wheels, etc.

I wouldn't worry about what-if with your K-70 unless you'd rather spend hundreds more and still get less features.

03-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Usually one would be comparing a Pentax K-n0 to a Canon Rebel. As far as I know, no Rebel is currently WR, nor are the lower-priced Nikon cameras..
03-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Viola
What cameras, specifically, are you comparing the K70 with?
Regards,
Mark
That is the (irrelevant) problem! I don't really know which cameras are in the same "class" as K70.
I never considered Nikon cause I got 20 years old EOS 1D as a gift so I stick to Canon. I thought of EOS 80D but image stabilisation and pixelshifting to me sound so appealing and fantastic that any ( up to 1000USD) Canon and Nikon are off.
03-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You give up something for something. On the Nikon side you have the D5600 (a.k.a D5xxx series). If will wipe the floor in AF performance over the K-70. That's where it ends. The K-70 has far more features that will make up for the AF performance. There are more pluses with the K-70. You'd have to step up to a D7200 to get about what you get with the K-70. That is a higher spec camera with more features, though.

Canon has the Rebel series. I personally wouldn't buy anything less than the 70D/80D. Those cameras are also higher spec.

The K-70 wins overall when comparing similar class cameras.
03-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
You give up something for something. On the Nikon side you have the D5600 (a.k.a D5xxx series). If will wipe the floor in AF performance over the K-70. That's where it ends. The K-70 has far more features that will make up for the AF performance. There are more pluses with the K-70. You'd have to step up to a D7200 to get about what you get with the K-70. That is a higher spec camera with more features, though.

Canon has the Rebel series. I personally wouldn't buy anything less than the 70D/80D. Those cameras are also higher spec.

The K-70 wins overall when comparing similar class cameras.
+1 on that. If you are looking for sports or action photography, I would say Nikon. If you want video, don't go to Pentax, but for the most bang for the buck, there is no comparison.

What brought me to Pentax was high ISO performance. I started with a K-X 7 years ago and I chose it because it had the best high ISO in my mind against Nikon or Canon. I moved up to a K-30 and a week ago purchased a K-70. I am awestruck from how clean the K-70 pics look. But that is what was and is important to me. To each his own though.

03-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

When I was leaving Pentax for sheepville, Adorama was having a variety of "combos" and rebates. I kept hemming an hawing until one (the 70D) was $350 rebate plus the big Pixma printer - which I sold off the UPS truck to a co-worker for $100. It worked out to $700 for the body. The 6D deal was a "free" $200 shotgun mic...sold off the truck to a co-worker for $100.

I don't know all the specs on the K-70, but pixel shift is not one I'd use much at all, at least I don't think so. I don't have focus-peaking, which would be handy with the TS lens (though I can add the Magic Lantern "cardware" if I really wanted it, I think, for the 6D, anyway).

My last Pentax was the K-5. If I was coming back to Pentax, the rotating LCD and focus-peaking are the 2 factors I would be looking at, and I think most models have that.

I miss the Hyper P mode, and adjustable program line, but just a little.
03-11-2017, 12:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks folks! Very helpful.
Say, Pentax mount is the same for like decades, does Pentax has the same situation as Canon: full frame lenses and APS-C lenses? On Canon you can't use usually cheaper APS-C lenses on full frame body.
Thanks

Last edited by violaferenc; 03-11-2017 at 12:43 AM.
03-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have been shooting Canon and Pentax systems over the past 12 years. Each has benefits, each has drawbacks. I have a k-1 now, had a K-3 and a few other bodies prior. I use the K-1 strictly for landscapes and closeups. I have has a 5D Mark III for the past few years, a 7D for several years prior but I sold that last year. I use the 5D for sports and birds. The tracking AF on the 5D and latest 70/7D/80D is tons better than Pentax. You also have so many more third party lens choices, plus Canon glass is generally excellent--I think it is better than most non-Ltd Pentax glass. Ergonomics on newer Canon bodies is as good as Pentax mostly. Both are imperfect. OTOH, I chose the K-1 because of pixel shift, the flippy LCD, focus peaking, and quality of image. The newest Canons--80D, 5D Mark IV, 1DXMark II all have excellent sensors that are very competitive with Sony ones. I simply thought the 5D Mark IV only had the sensor to offer and lacked expected features for a $3500 camera and I just didn't get it. That doesn't make Pentax a bargain as Pentax glass is way marked up due to the scarcity of a small hobby brand that is not getting support from third parties. So they are both good. You have to figure out your shooting needs, especially lenses ( that's where the money comes in) and see what is the best fit.
Hope this helps.

M
03-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by violaferenc Quote
Thanks folks! Very helpful.
Say, Pentax mount is the same for like decades, does Pentax has the same situation as Canon: full frame lenses and APS-C lenses? On Canon you can't use usually cheaper APS-C lenses on full frame body.
Thanks
Pentax APS-C and FF is different than Canonʻs in that Canon EF (FF) lenses can only be mounted onto Canon FF DSLRs and Canon EF-S (APS-C) lenses can only be mounted onto Canon APS-C DSLRs. Canonʻs alignment mark is a red dot on the FF lenses/cameras vs. a white square on the APS-C lenses/cameras.

Canon sells more gear this way as anyone upgrading to FF has to start over with all their lenses. Reminds me of Apple every time you get a new laptop, tablet, or phone and the ports are different.

With Pentax, you can mount either to either, but a DA crop sensor lens on a FF camera is more likely (not always) to vignette and is best when used in the crop sensor mode on a FF.

When using a DFA or FA lens on an APS-C DSLR on Pentax, you get the benefit of compatibility and more of the center sweet spot of the lens with down side of usually a bigger/heavier lens.
03-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'll also add on that the Canon and especially Nikon product strategy is very much rigged to get cropped-sensor buyers to "upgrade" to FF offerings. Their cropped-lens specific lenses are relatively few. And the optical quality of most of the Canon EF-S offerings is pretty average. Fortunately Sigma has a nice alternative path. If I was interested in a cropped-sensor-based system today, I'd give Fuji and Olympus a very long trial.

M
03-11-2017, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Pentax APS-C and FF is different than Canonʻs in that Canon EF (FF) lenses can only be mounted onto Canon FF DSLRs and Canon EF-S (APS-C) lenses can only be mounted onto Canon APS-C DSLRs. Canonʻs alignment mark is a red dot on the FF lenses/cameras vs. a white square on the APS-C lenses/cameras.
Not quite correct - a Canon EF lens can be mounted on either an FF or an APS-C camera {i.e., APS-C cameras have both red dot mounting point and white square mounting point}

added comment: My last film camera was a Canon EOS Elan. I went from that to a Canon Digital Rebel. I did get new "white square" lenses to use with the new camera, but I also continued to use my older "red dot" lenses {in fact, that was my primary reason for sticking with Canon rather than investigating other brands again}. I came back to Pentax only after I had some reliability issues with Rebel bodies.

Last edited by reh321; 03-11-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added comment