Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #16
Forum Member

I have K-3II as the main body and also e-pm2 when I need something small. e-pm2 is actually very good but cannot touch K-3II especially when pixel shift is used. The main reason for getting e-pm2 is size. The lens to go along is Panasonic 12-60, which is exactly equivalent to Pentax 16-85. So, the answer is it depends.

03-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My second camera is a Point & Shoot Olympus. Cheap go anywere and good zoom. Photo are pretty decent. Last week on vacation at Ixtapa, took my K-5 for most photo , but for kayaking and dining, took my P&S that fit in my pocket.
PS I dont have a phone
03-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own an Oly E-M10 with lumix 12-32 pancake lens, and the very good Oly plastic fantastic 40-150. The reason I got the camera was just size, easy to take on my Yamaha off road bike, and nice to take around the town.
The draw back to me is the cost of other lenses, now if you can be content with just the these two say? then go for it and keep your K50 system. I also love the flip up/down screen, you can hold it waist level and touch the screen to focus and shoot, great street shooting camera. The EVF is nice as you get what you see. I dont regret buying the camera at all, but I also don't intend to buy any more lenses for it unless really good buy.
I have adapters and shoot all my pentax lenses with it also.
I will leave a link to my flikr page I have the cameraa/lenses in folders, only snap shots really but an example.
If you find a m43 body I have a 14-42RII to get rid of =)
ronald embree's collections on Flickr
03-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I own an Oly E-M10 with lumix 12-32 pancake lens, and the very good Oly plastic fantastic 40-150. The reason I got the camera was just size, easy to take on my Yamaha off road bike, and nice to take around the town.
The draw back to me is the cost of other lenses, now if you can be content with just the these two say? then go for it and keep your K50 system. I also love the flip up/down screen, you can hold it waist level and touch the screen to focus and shoot, great street shooting camera. The EVF is nice as you get what you see. I dont regret buying the camera at all, but I also don't intend to buy any more lenses for it unless really good buy.
I have adapters and shoot all my pentax lenses with it also.
I will leave a link to my flikr page I have the cameraa/lenses in folders, only snap shots really but an example.
If you find a m43 body I have a 14-42RII to get rid of =)
ronald embree's collections on Flickr
You have a specific reason for your Oly and you wisely stuck with two lenses to keep costs down so I can see why you purchased it. I also purchased a Pentax WG3-III for the sole use of water sports. To my surprise it also takes fantastically sharp pictures in bright sunlight. It's also pocketable and a breeze to take practically anywhere. I've also got only about $250 into it so if I lose it no big deal.

03-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I've never had problems carrying my K-S1 with the DA 35 2.4 all day long. Small and light setup. Adding a DA 21Limited and a DA 70 Limited for carrying in the pocket if I felt the need for wider and longer would keep it a light and small and affordable setup.
But to each their own...
03-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #21

I think the best way to decide if you need a camera is to try it

I recently bought a used E-M10 (the first version) with Lumix G20/1.7 for a bargain price, and I'm really happy with the camera.
The EVF speed is enough for me, and I like selecting the focusing point by the touchscreen, and the focus is tack in about 95% of the shots. The camera is small for my hands, so I had to get the ECG-1 grip. SOC pictures look great, and require almost no adjustments during the post-processing.

They said E-M10 Mark II is even better camera with fancy additional bells and whistles.
I'd recommend you to find one for rent so you can check if it fits your shooting style and preferences.
03-14-2017, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthernExposure Quote
Part of me says moving from the K-50 to K-70 is silly.
It is NOT silly at all - you will find that the K-70 is a very well-featured and capable camera, and it is a sensible upgrade from your K-50. The quite feasible prediction would be that, unless you want to carry two bodies around, your use of the K-50 would probably cease!

The consumer and gadget junkie in me says the Olympus would be cool.
Now this really does seem silly. You already have a good selection of Pentax lenses that complement each other quite well, and you are considering a completely different system? This would make sense to me only if you were to sell your entire Pentax system and go completely M4/3.

If you want to go lighter and more compact and with excellent image quality, seriously compare and consider the K-70 plus the plastic DA 35 and DA 50. Then later on you could build up a triad of the Ltd pancake primes - 21, 40, and 70.

Cheers.
Philip

03-15-2017, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

I upgraded from K-30 to the K-70 last months and I couldn't be happier of my decision.

The K-70 is a little gem, you get better resolution, improved quality at high iso, pixel-shift, tilting screen and a number of other improvements, like the ability of reviewing your pictures while the camera is clearing its buffer to the sd card (one thing that I was really missing on the K-30). You can use the same batteries of the K-50 and all the lenses you have (plus the new KAF4 which are likely to come). You can keep the K-50 as a second body with another lens avoiding lens swapping, especially if you shoot in dusty and windy environments like I do.

All this for $600... I only see benefits in that upgrade.

Considering that the KP is selling at $1100 the new APS-C flagship will cost even more, as others already pointed out. If you are an amateur and don't need the additional benefit of a pro body, the decision should be easy....

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 03-15-2017 at 12:21 AM.
03-15-2017, 02:55 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a tough call. With the K70, you will get better high iso performance and pixel shift. Probably a better all around camera, but also a larger camera. In addition, you will be able to use your current lenses without an adapter, which is a definite plus. With the Olympus, you will get a smaller camera body. You do need to factor in cost of lenses into your equation. You can certainly mount your k mount lenses onto a micro four thirds body with an adapter, but they will be even longer than they are on APS-C, for what its worth.

I will say that for any of these cameras, the big factor in size is going to be your lens. If you are comfortable shooting with the DA limiteds, then your size with Pentax is pretty manageable. If you need fast zooms, then even Olympus won't be pocketable.
03-15-2017, 03:21 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
they will be even longer than they are on APS-C, for what its worth.
Yes, but don't forget most mirrorless bodies you can use a speedbooster, which mean a 1.4x crop on M43....they are plentiful and cost as little as U$ 30.
03-15-2017, 04:59 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, but don't forget most mirrorless bodies you can use a speedbooster, which mean a 1.4x crop on M43....they are plentiful and cost as little as U$ 30.
It still turns an auto focus lens into a manual focus lens.

I haven't been a big fan of adapters over time, but I am pretty much addicted to auto focus. Others probably differ.
03-15-2017, 05:51 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
consider the K-70 plus the plastic DA 35 and DA 50.

Cheers.
Philip
I already have the DA 35 and DA 50 and honestly, economically it makes no sense to run 2 systems.
But I do think the upgrade to the K-70 or future K-3 II successor may be a sound move. However a "K-?"
will likely be heavier, bulkier, etc, which is one of the reasons I was already considering MFT. I think
I know where this is headed.
03-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I don't necessarily agree with this. If you are shooting jpegs SOOC, then I'd wager you might actually be happier with the Oly, since the Olympus jpeg engine is way way better than Pentax's and is arguably tops in the industry. If you are a pixel peeper or RAW guy, you will certainly have more leeway to wring more detail out with the APS-C sensor in the K-70 than the m4/3 sensor, but the difference isn't as huge as you might think.

The weight difference also is far from insignificant, with the K-70 weighing more than twice what the Oly does.

If you are into adapted glass, the m4/3 mount also offers many more options on that front.

The mobile phone comment is just snide, since we all know the advantages system cameras have over phone cams, or we wouldn't be here.

If you are interested in video, it is very much better in the m4/3 world, especially if you also consider the comparable Panasonic models (e.g. the G7), which do native 4k.

Yes, cost of maintaining separate systems is a very real consideration, as is whether you are ready to take the plunge and abandon the optical viewfinder.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I found it funny how people just assumed there was no way I could be satisfied with just the 2 lens kit for $650. I have the Pentax for my primes, macro, etc. For the purpose of vacationing, and casual shots, I think it makes perfect sense. I haven't completely decided yet, but I have decided to think on it longer. I could sneak a slightly different body by the Mrs. a lot easier than a completely different camera.....that may also be a factor!
03-15-2017, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #29
amp

Thank you for the detailed reply. I found it funny how people just assumed there was no way I could be satisfied with just the 2 lens kit for $650. I have the Pentax for my primes, macro, etc. For the purpose of vacationing, and casual shots, I think it makes perfect sense. I haven't completely decided yet, but I have decided to think on it longer. I could sneak a slightly different body by the Mrs. a lot easier than a completely different camera.....that may also be a factor!
I'm leaning toward purchasing the Oly omd em10ii for portability purposes, but I don't think I could part with my k3+70mm limited combo. Pentax for primes and the Olympus 2 lens kit is a great idea in my estimation.
Go for it!
03-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea you will be happy with a two lens set up, E-M10 will make a great vacation camera. The 40-150 lens can got dirt cheap at times and I find it worth more than I paid for it, here its only $149 CDN so in US it must be even cheaper? Olympus ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R Micro Four Thirds Lens (black) | McBain Camera Canada
I dont see a big difference in price between the mk1 and 2 which is strange. Dont forget if you only have a body I have a 14-42RII you can have ha ha