Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I don't think you know what a huge environmental waste is; you should spend a night with the cleaners on the London Underground.
While you make a fair point about there being worse problems around, I don't agree with the logic that this should prevent us from solving the lesser ones. By the same token, what's the point in us putting our litter in a bin when there's a fly-tip around the corner...why reduce carrier bag waste when oceans have millions of tons of plastic floating in them? Because every little helps is why...and if nobody does the small things while there are bigger ones to point at, nothing will ever be done.

Nothing like 100% of buyers even want a manual - of those that do, plenty will be happy to read it on screen. At the very least, a large amount of paper will be saved and, more importantly, the fuel required to ship it all will go unburned. That's got to be a good thing, even if it is only a small good thing.

10-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #32

I posted the fact, that the manual was not inside of my camera box because I was concerned that the camera was not brand new. I live in Canada and we get all the products with manuals on both, English and French. In my case I had a start-up guide in English brochure only, while manual was in French brochure only.
I do not know who stole 2 missing brochures from my Pentax camera box. I suspect that it was poor packaging from Pentax' side. The email I got from Ricoh USA was even more frustrated, because they even did not bother to read properly my short message comprising 3 sentences. Maybe they had read it but were unable or unwilling to understand...

I am not against not including manual, however the manufacturer must clearly specify what is included inside the box and what is not.
I do not buy the reason of saving paper and I agree with Lord Lucan - we get so much junk mail into our mail boxes, e.g. weekly fliers that is a huge pile of wasted paper. Today, in 21-th century we have flipp.com and similar applications to replace paper.
From another side, when people do not get manual but download and print out one, they waste much more paper.
10-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just my 2 cents! I have recently purchased a new K-70 with a DA 18-135mm lens, in the box was a start guide and on page 70 a link to download the operators manual. I have downloaded them both, the start guide is an excellent reference to keep in my camera bag while the operators manual has a more "in-depth" approach. I would also like to mention I have purchased the E-BOOK available on this site for my K-70 as it also has a lot more valuable information on using the camera.

As for "what's in the box" perhaps follow this link. hope it helps PENTAX K-70?Cameras?RICOH IMAGING CANADA
Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com
10-12-2017, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Just my 1/2 groat's worth - most of my gear is second-hand (and then some !), and very little came with a printed manual. I have downloaded the PDFs of manuals for most items, and put them on both my phone and tablet, so that if I am ever unsure of something (rare, but it does happen), instead of waving a printed manual around and looking like the rank amateur that I am, I can consult an up-to-date electronic device and appear tech-savvy !

11-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #35

I bought a K-70 arrived yesterday (Sunday) and there's a paper manual in the box in B&W and very nice it is too.
11-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I do not use Paper copy of manual at all. I like "unsecured PDF" file so that I can underline & highlight the text that is important.
FoxIT reader supports underline & highlight feature (ALT+6).
01-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eugene68 Quote
I posted the fact, that the manual was not inside of my camera box because I was concerned that the camera was not brand new. I live in Canada and we get all the products with manuals on both, English and French. In my case I had a start-up guide in English brochure only, while manual was in French brochure only.

I do not know who stole 2 missing brochures from my Pentax camera box. I suspect that it was poor packaging from Pentax' side. The email I got from Ricoh USA was even more frustrated, because they even did not bother to read properly my short message comprising 3 sentences. Maybe they had read it but were unable or unwilling to understand...

I am not against not including manual, however the manufacturer must clearly specify what is included inside the box and what is not.
See attached.

Already with the K-S2 it was announced that there is JUST the Quickstart-Guide printed in the box.
I also know this with 2 x K-S1's which I had purchased.

If as you clearly stated your K-70 has a shuttercount of 1, it is new.
The date also shows it was manufactured just 1 month prior you purchased it.

To claim that "somebody stole 2 missing brochures is a pretty tough accusation.
It always is better to read what is written on the outside of the box:
It says clearly "Quickstart Guide" but does not mention the brochure.
Why? Because on page 70 of the Quickstart-Guide there is a link for the download.

I am not saying that this solution is perfect but I know as well that about 70% of all buyes never touch the manual.
As these days transport-costs became quite high (I ship regular to Japan and Korea) I know how high shipping costs can be.
The difference of a 2kg parcel with 15cm max hight and a 5kg parcel with extra hight allowance is considerable.

For manufacturers such differences count a lot for the final price (against competition)

and the K-70 is tremendous value for the money!

And was amazing/outstanding value for the money in 2017!

Attached Images

01-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

My K70 did not come with a full manual in the box, which is what Pentax states. Honestly, the first thing I do is toss the paper manual in recycling and download the PDF. The online PDF may have updated info anyway and the printed copy is out of date by the time you get it, depending on how long the stock was sitting on a shelf.
01-08-2022, 08:11 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
My K70 did not come with a full manual in the box, which is what Pentax states. Honestly, the first thing I do is toss the paper manual in recycling and download the PDF. The online PDF may have updated info anyway and the printed copy is out of date by the time you get it, depending on how long the stock was sitting on a shelf.
Funny that they do not include a full printed manual with their cheapest camera, but maybe the price is competitive because of not including it. My KP I bought last year after the announcement that the KP was discontinued had a paper manual in the box! The online manuals in PDF are the initial ones they used for printing. They are never updated, you can see that if you take a look at back pages of the manual and compare the code there with that of the manual in the box.
01-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Funny that they do not include a full printed manual with their cheapest camera, but maybe the price is competitive because of not including it. My KP I bought last year after the announcement that the KP was discontinued had a paper manual in the box! The online manuals in PDF are the initial ones they used for printing. They are never updated, you can see that if you take a look at back pages of the manual and compare the code there with that of the manual in the box.
That could very well be with Pentax. I have a large number of PDF manuals (mostly power tools) and quite a few had newer revisions online versus what was in the box. But that probably varies quite a bit from company to company. Updating manuals takes time and money.
02-13-2022, 08:45 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
Didn't you find a printed copy of the manual inside the box? The original manual is printed in black and white, but should be there,
Fact! we're in 2022 and I got one with my brand new kit.
02-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Webstormer Quote
Fact! we're in 2022 and I got one with my brand new kit.
You're sure it is the full manual?

It used to be delivered just with the Quick-Start Guide,
the "Operating Manual" was for download.
02-14-2022, 12:42 AM   #43
Forum Member

Yes, it is the full one and I even received it in french ( bought from Amazon ) but still, it makes only 144 pages for a camera that would need a lot more. Just to give you an idea, the manual for the Nikon bridge ( Coolpix P-500 ) I had before was 300! As for your particular case, I guess it depends the seller.
02-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mind using a pdf manual, but the problem is they tend to dissappear from the website - Ricoh is not worst for this aspect.
The paper copy becomes then the backup? Remembers me I should download the manuals of my bodies, as long as they are online... oh, and the software, ...

As long they don't change to YouTube movies as full manual... I need a table of contents & index to get an overview in paper version , or a Toc with jump links to the chapters and a search facility in the pdf.... Never found a handy movie equivalent of these .. where is the section on...bracketing...stopdown metering... only 《 or 》to get there.
02-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #45

I think i also got the full manual but i already lost it somewhere in my home like most paper manuals. I always find them when i don't need them and when need them, there lost. Anyway, i prefer the Ebook downloaded from this site. The only thing is that it's not in Dutch but that's no problem for me. Put it in on your phone and/or cloud and it's always with you (same goes for any PDF manual).