Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Is Pentax saving money?

I just downloaded the manual pdf for the K70 from the Ricoh site. Now that Ricoh have downloaded the cost of a printed manualon to the camera buyer, would it have killed them to provide the images in the manual in colour?? My Canon sx60hs manual even has colour photos in it.............

End of grump...........

04-14-2017, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

I'm just happy the manual isn't written in the style of Ikea.
04-14-2017, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Didn't you find a printed copy of the manual inside the box? The original manual is printed in black and white, but should be there,
04-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would it have killed them to do the manual in colour? Probably not, but if this kind of approach helps them to focus on features, build quality, and performance, I'm perfectly happy with a black-and-white manual. Always thought the first and foremost job of a manual is to provide accessible, accurate, and helpful information, as befits a serious tool.

Treat yourself to a photowalk with your K-70, do some RAW shooting, process to taste, and enjoy the results. I bet the thing about the colourless manual will be soon forgotten then.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
04-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
Didn't you find a printed copy of the manual inside the box? The original manual is printed in black and white, but should be there,
No printed manual anymore. You can either print it from the software, or scan a QR code in the brief how to start guide, or d/l it here.
04-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DrFin Quote
No printed manual anymore. You can either print it from the software, or scan a QR code in the brief how to start guide, or d/l it here.

Granted, that's kind of a bummer. While I'm usually accessing manuals of this kind when I'm at the computer, it's always nice to have a printed copy in case you need one. Its absence is not exactly trust-inspiring on opening the box, have to hand you that one.

Still, that K-70 should be a nice camera. Enjoy it for what it is.
04-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have make an interesting point. Both Canon and Ricoh are in the commercial printing business. They could easily do it as advertising for their other business. Not sure if anyone has thought of that yet.

04-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Printed manuals have gone the way of the compact camera... replaced by the smart phone
04-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh is a globally recognized Green company. If they could get away with it they would pack $2,000 cameras in plain brown boxes rather than wrapping them in coated stock printed with silver ink.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-09-2017 at 03:29 PM.
04-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I bought a new Pentax K-1 in Feb. 2017 and the printed manual was inside the box. In 2011 I bought a new Canon G12 and there was no printed manual.
04-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

sheesh. Does it really matter? The camera is almost entirely black and white anyway, does it magically make it easier to understand if the graphics are in precisely the right shade of black?
04-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it's great not to have a printed manual. It's a huge environmental waste. Those diminishing few that need a printed manual can always send it to a cheap print shop and have it printed. Though I don't see why it needs to be in colour. There aren't any actual photos in it...
04-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Would it have killed them to do the manual in colour? Probably not, but if this kind of approach helps them to focus on features, build quality, and performance, I'm perfectly happy with a black-and-white manual. Always thought the first and foremost job of a manual is to provide accessible, accurate, and helpful information, as befits a serious tool.

Treat yourself to a photowalk with your K-70, do some RAW shooting, process to taste, and enjoy the results. I bet the thing about the colourless manual will be soon forgotten then.
Every illustration in the manual, of the screen settings etc is a photo, and for older eyes the shades of grey are less contrasty (i.e. harder to see in detail) then color. I also think its great not to include a printed manual, which gives me the option of printing it. I just wish the "illustrations" were in color. Look at any manual with color and see the increased clarity. It costs Ricoh nothing since the user is doing the printing..
04-16-2017, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DrFin Quote

That's strange, I bought two K-70 (online from U.K.) two months ago and a complete b&w 152-pages operating manual was present inside each box. No quick start guide, though.
04-16-2017, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I've never read a manual included in the box, but I have read every manual I printed on my own. Wonder if it's a reverse psychology way of getting some people to read their manuals...