Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-70

Hello:

I am considering purchasing a new Pentax K-70 and, before buying the camera, I would like to get some feedback from owners of the K-70 regarding their likes and dislikes, along with any problems they encountered and how they resolved them. Also, using older non-automatic Pentax K mount lenses, did anyone have any issues with the procedure for using them.

Thank you.

05-02-2017, 12:07 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nhlblues Quote
Hello:

I am considering purchasing a new Pentax K-70 and, before buying the camera, I would like to get some feedback from owners of the K-70 regarding their likes and dislikes, along with any problems they encountered and how they resolved them. Also, using older non-automatic Pentax K mount lenses, did anyone have any issues with the procedure for using them.

Thank you.
I just switched (and, yes, I consider it an upgrade) from the K-5 IIs to the K-70 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I wrote down my likes and dislikes in this post Just a few initial thoughts - PentaxForums.com

I literally did not encounter any problems, still getting used to the different menus but that's only a matter of time. Mounting and using non-automatic lenses works just like it did on my other Pentax bodies - I've got a lovely Revuenon 55mm/f1.2 that works pretty darned well on the K-70.

Here's a shot in my own backyard this morning with the Tamron 90mm macro this morning:
05-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

I wrote this review a few days ago:

Packed with great features. Great value
I moved to this from a Nikon d3200. I had considered upgrading to a d5500/5600 or d7200 but realised
I'd get less camera for more money. The K-70 is packed with features and advantages:
Sensor stabilization
Pixel shift feature for extra sharp images if you place the camera still and take pictures of still objects
AA filter simulation
Astrotracer function, follows movement of stars
Hybrid AF system in live view
Weather proof
Tilty screen
Compact size
Customizable buttons dials and fuctions (better than the Nikons)
Wi-fi
Great for recovering detail in shadows
Bracketing
HDR modes
Screen adjustments for night use and bright conditions
24MP
6fps
Great image quality even at high iso. Arguably same low light capabilities as a Nikon d500 (compare images on Image Resource website)
Timelapse
Etc...

What could be better:
Very limited viewfinder focus system - eg low number of af points
No touch screen
More functions could be added to customisable buttons
Pentax lenses are comparably expensive
Less options from other lens manufacturers
Video mode is comparably limited
05-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Asking for user feedback is a good idea, but it might help if you list the other bodies you have used, the options you are considering, your budget, and what features are or are not important to you (apart from the one you mention - using lenses with manual aperture settings).

As you may know, PF has an excellent comparator tool for Pentax camera specs and features: Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I don't have a K-70 but I have a K-3 and a K-S2 and have had two K-30s and a K100D Super. My ideal would be a camera with the superior metering and AF, robustness, ergonomics, quiet shutter, extra buttons and controls, wireless flash controller, frame rate, 24Mp sensor with no AA-filter, and other advanced features of the K-3, with the lighter weight, flippy screen and wi-fi like the K-S2, PixelShift like the K-3ii and better video like, well, another brand. The K-P (not the K-70) seems to be the closest approximation to that combination.

One small thing I like in the K-3 - which is in the K-P but not the K-70 - is the far superior ultrasonic dust removal system. Using the K-3 side by side with the K-S2 (which has the more basic dust removal system which has been around for years), and swapping lenses just as often, I have had a plague of dust spots with the K-S2 (as I did with the K-30) but hardly any with the K-3. Dust alert (found only in the flagship models, and not in the K-P or K-70) is really handy too.

Last edited by Des; 05-02-2017 at 04:02 PM.
05-03-2017, 03:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had the K-70 for 4 months now (I had no DSLR prior to that). My Lowepro Flipside 300 is packed with three M lenses (28mm f2.8, 100mm F4 Macro & 200mm F4) and three DA (SMC-DA 50mm f1.8 SMC-DA 18-135mm & the 55-300mm PLM WR), Furthermore I bought the O-GPS1 for astrophotography. I cannot find anything negative to say. Built quality is excellent, handling is perfect (for me), packed with features, costumisable user interfaces picture quality is excellent (rather an issue with the person using the camera than the camera used)
I use it only for photography. If I have to shoot a video, I use my iPhone.

Pros: Everything apart from the Image Sync app,
Cons: The 'Image Sync' app.
05-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

I love my K- 70.

The only CON is the lack of Wireless Flash which I used alot w/ my K-50.

I can set my camera up in the window and watch the crowds walk by from my couch w/ The Image Synch App.
05-03-2017, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

I bought a K-70 a month ago and do not regret it one bit! This is my second digital Pentax (supplementing, and likely replacing, a K-50) and it is quickly becoming a favorite in a camera assortment composed mainly of Leicas and Panasonics. Living in Oregon, the weather resistance is its primary attraction. It is bewilderingly customizable - a good or bad thing, depending on your patience level. The sensor is very sharp and the controls are much as they should be, with one glaring exception - combining the video selector on the on-off switch leads to a lot of unnecessary fumbling and minor aggravation. If I had wanted a video camera, I would have bought one. A discreet and separate video actuation would be a better option. That would make it easier to ignore!!!
I bought mine as a body-only purchase, as I already have a number of compatible lenses, and I find that the autofocus is quite noisy, though not any worse than the K-50. I gather that the newer lenses are almost silent in AF mode, so that may be an option for those unburdened by legacy accessories. I normally shoot manual focus, so I don't anticipate that being much of a problem. The mirror is quite loud when it flips out of the way - more so than my girlfriend's Nikon D3400, and especially when compared to my near-silent Leicas.
All of my complaints are minor when compared to the pluses of the camera, the most important one being the sharp resolution - that's what it's all about, isn't it? No regrets!!!
05-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #8

I've had my K-70 since near the end of last August.

I had previously used a K-50, so it's difficult to contrast to a non-Pentax DSLR as primarily all former cameras were film SLRs. I did use a series of Canon EOS Rebel G Film camera bodies and lenses prior to moving to the Digital. As I've a strong interest in Astrophotography (used an Olympus OM-1 for it's mechanical bulb feature to ensure no long term exposure failures due to power loss) as well as for a larger variety of terrestrial images. Researching greatly attracted me to the Pentax line for the use of the Astrotracer functionality, which has been working great. I continue to use the O-GPS1 module that I'd purchased around the time of the K-50 with my K-70 and the functionality is great. That and I still have built-in flash for fill in lighting during daytime exposures with backlighting.

Long term I'll be likely transitioning to Full Frame, but that will also involve looking at a series of professional flashes as the K-1 and K3-II both require an external flash while the GPS moved into the camera body.

The stellar low light performance along with the Astrotracer functionality has really been the primary reason I'll continue to be a long term Pentax user. While using a barndoor mount (a device that essentially replicates the Astrotracer function external to the camera body) is possible with other vendors products, quality results can really require a much higher expense.