Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

How useful is K-70 flip screen?

How useful is the flip screen in actual use? I've never had a camera with one but I think I "need" this feature. On the other hand, my history is that I tend to obsess over features like this in my gear, I spend too much to get it, then I end up never using it.

I'm looking to acquire a new DSLR and I can get a K-3 at a local shop (want the onboard flash, so no K-3 II) for much less than a new K-70 and that's one of the few differences that bother me now that the K-3 got the firmware upgrade to utilize newer lenses. (The other issue is size & weight). Either one is going to be overkill for my skill level anyway :-)

I'm not a pro, and while I understand why you might want such a screen and honestly, there are times where I've thought it would be much better if I had a flippy screen. However, with digital, I can also just fire off a ton of shots and hope a couple of them turn out since I'm not relying on it to make a living. Is this one of those things that people really cannot live without once they've tried it?

There won't be any studio shooting, very little telephoto or tripod, probably not a lot of video, mostly just street & travel stills, but often out in the semi-wilderness.

07-07-2017, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The adjustable screen is especially nice if you're shooting in a crowd (i.e. holding the camera above your head), doing macros (so you don't have to crouch down to see the VF/screen), and selfies. It's certainly beneficial to have in those situations, as you won't have to awkwardly position yourself to see live view.

The K-70 also has improved JPEG detail and low-light image quality compared to the K-3, plus a nicer and more customizable UI. I consider the K-70 an exceptional value (probably the best Pentax currently offers next to the K-1), but it's not as durable as the K-3 in terms of shutter life or build quality.

Then there's the KP, which is essentially the K-70 in a durable metal body with even more customization options, and an easier to manage tilting screen, which is my favorite type. But I'm guessing that it's outside of your budget, and also it's not as great of a value as the K-70. Still, worth considering

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It probably depends what sort of shooting you're doing or hoping to do. I've got a K-S2, which also has a flip screen. I do a lot of macro insect shooting and the articulated screen lets me stick the camera into all sorts of places at all sorts of angles while still seeing my subject. There are many shots that I've managed to get using the screen that would have been much more difficult or even impossible to get otherwise. My previous camera was a Canon 20D which didn't even have live view, let alone a flip screen. The combination of live view with focus peeking and flippy screen has made a huge difference for what I enjoy shooting. I've even used it for selfies! Had I waited a year, I likely would have ended up with a K-70, with the higher resolution and pixel shift. Still I'm very pleased with my K-S2.
07-08-2017, 01:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't use the 'flip' screen very often but it can be very useful when needed, usually to photo something at a low level while remaining standing - getting down is not a problem for me but getting up again is! The important feature of the K-70 screen is that it is fully articulated, so it can be viewed clearly at odd angles and/or heights, whether using a landscape or portrait orientation for the composition.

Cheers.
Philip

07-08-2017, 02:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think the flip screen is an especially "pro" feature. It is more a conveniant feature. The most high end model in Canon or Nikon don't have one for example. This doesn't mean this is useless by far but it may come handly only on a few occasions.

Among theses occasions, many are related to situations where the resulting photo wouldn't look that great. Sure there could be every 5 year THE shoot that you'll get with that flipping screen.

But to take a few examples... You can take selfies? A DSLR is terrible for that heavy, difficult to hold, your smartphone is likely as good and can work with a stick. The shot above the crowd ? Do you really think it would give a nice keeper? That the framing/angle will be nice? That you'll be able to really focus preciselly on the subject at f/2 in the night this way?

When I want to take photos and I expect crowds, I manage to have nothing between me and the subject. I arrive earlier, move on to choose a better place for the shot, including but not limited to think were does the subject come from, where the light is coming from so I get something acceptable. If you are in the middle of the crowd you may achieve the occasional above head shot but you'll miss most of the action. And that also often true even if you just want to experience the moment and see what hapening and do not even take photos.

Tripod / Macro rail use would be among the times where a flip screen would be handy actually. But ask yourself if you plan often to shoot like that... From what you said, I would bet almost never. I do it almost never. I brought a fancy light cabon tripod, but it is still far too much impratical for most uses. And if you are not alone normal people would find it extremely anoying to be with a guy with a tripod.

But what goes for the K3 instead then? Mostly it has much better AF, with a bit of training it is quite capable for action/sport and so all situations where the subject may move a bit fast: children, parades and events, It offer precise AF even for wide apperture shots with lot of bokeh, again very nice for portraiture. Theses things the K70 doesn't have. This are thing most "pro" camera do have: great AF performance and fast operation.

Do you need great AF? Surely not for landscapes and scenes were all is in focus. For portraiture, events, action/sport, wildlife, well anything moving even slowly a great AF is really key to getting the shot.

To me the K3 is a much better "pro" camera and can face many more situations than a K70. To get the best of both worlds would be the KP or K1.

But all theses cameras are made to really focus on photography. They are heavy, cumbersome, anoying to carry along. If you are more on the casual side of things, you may be better off with a mirrorless, especially if you'd stay with the kit lens. An m4/3 typically would have all the conveniant features, still possibility for great shots but weight and size would be half.

I use a K3 + FAltds myself, so people there would say to you I have really nice, top end gear, especially the optics, and sure I'll get better results. But this is not conveniant. Heavy, lot of lens changes and the subject, composition, the light, technique are all more important. And if the camera stay at home because it too annoying well...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-08-2017 at 02:19 AM.
07-08-2017, 04:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is useful for close ups at low level (saving your knees and keeping pants clean, shooting over fences. For street photography it can be used to shoot more covertly because you don't need the camera stuck to your face and you don't need to kneel down when you want to shoot a different perspective. In low light it can also be useful as it can enhance your view of the scene. (Depending in how well you see in the dark) It can also be a good aid when shooting manually because it has focus peaking).
07-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have one (I have used a camera with one in the past) but I can think of many many situations where the articulating screen would really help me get a better shot. I do a lot of nature photography and I like to use a small tripod to shoot low angles and things close to the ground. Those screens can make it a lot easier to compose and focus your shot. I don't mind getting wet, but if I don't have to why would I? In Winter, getting wet may quickly end your photo session. It's definitely a feature I would like on my next camera.

07-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The k-70 also allows you to use your phone as a screen via image synch. Still between the 2 options I use them less than 1% of the time. Very useful in tight spaces where you can put the camera in a corner or where you want to manipulate the subject while shooting.
07-08-2017, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a feature that you don't need very often, but it's wonderful to have when you need it as it may be the only available option for getting the image you want. I was tempted to get a K-70 just for low angle macro, but ended up with a K-1 instead.
07-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I use the flippy screen on my KS-2 quite often. Probably 50% of the time I'm in live view, I move the screen to optimize my viewing angle.
07-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #11

Useful but not an all the time option.
07-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Flip screens have been around forever. I had one on an old Sony digital camera back in the early 2000s but hardly ever used it.

Useful when you 'need it' but it is not something you can't do without, esp for your intended usage.

Personally I'd choose the K-3 over the K-70 any day and there would have to be a lot more compelling factors in its favor than just the flip out screen to choose it over the K-3.
07-08-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Do you currently use flash a lot? If not I would get the K-70 with the articulating screen. I owned a Canon T3i that had it, and it's the only thing I miss.(currently have a K-5lls). I'll give you just a few examples of where a flippy screen has come in handy for me. School and Church events where I can't see over the person in front of me to capture my child singing or playing an instrument. Family get together's where I want a large group shot of everyone sitting around the table and an elevated shot gives better angle to get everyone in the picture. Shooting baby birds in the nest where I need to stretch the camera into the tree and shoot down while looking up at the monitor...(just did this a few days ago and had to grab my 6 foot ladder from the garage to get the shot!). Shooting pics of my dog lying on the ground and all I have to do is turn the screen at a ninety and kneel down instead of getting on my stomach!
07-08-2017, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
My last Pentax was film...that's how long ago!
I've had enough of those ground level shots that I appreciate what a flippy screen might do for me, but then again, my comment about just firing off a bunch of random shots and hoping for the best...

I like the smaller, tiny mirroless cameras. I have one, it's practically pocketable and has given me some FANTASTIC shots. But there are 2 huge issues:
1) Battery life does not match up to my old, old DSLR and is really not sufficient. I do not like carrying spare battery and sometimes it doesn't last a day. I really am on the go a lot sometimes and travelling light so I do not want to fiddle with a 2nd piece of equipment. My older DSLR can sometimes go an entire trip, several days, without recharging
2) So many missed/garbaged shots due to the slower autofocus, stuff that I would catch with my older DSLR. I know Pentax doesn't have a reputation for being the best here but I think it would do better than a 10 year old DSLR which was pretty ok for me.

I do want an onboard flash. I had hoped the newer mirrorless with high ISO would actually negate the need for one (which is typically low light situation, not for the other purposes which it can be used for) but this hasn't been the case. I don't want to carry a separate flash as is the case with my mirrorless because I just end up not carrying it.
I know the K-70 has a lot over the older K-3 in terms of image quality, size, etc. but the local shops here have K-70 as special order, not in stock and the lonely K-3 I found is nearly half the price, allowing me to spring for a couple of good lenses instead. Sounds like it is possible I won't miss the flippy screen too much.

Thanks for your inputs!
07-08-2017, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
Do you currently use flash a lot? If not I would get the K-70 with the articulating screen.

With the K-70 flash range at 12.0m at ISO 100 versus the 13.0m at ISO 100 for the K-3, there's not significant difference between the two built-in flashes. Personally I'd get the K-70 for the articulating screen and use the on-board flash until you've saved up for a decent external flash. Personally I believe the articulating design of the K-70 is superior to the KP and K-1 in versatility. Granted you can't pickup the camera by the LCD display like the K-1, but why would you?

Flipping the display into the camera also adds that extra level of display protection.