Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2017, 02:11 AM   #1

Setting up Bracketing in U1, U2 and U3 on a K-70

I have a k-70, it's still rather new to me.

I'm traveling to view the total eclipse on Aug. 21.

Here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to program the shots I'm going to take during partial eclipse in the U1 section. I want to bracket those shots, and I need help understanding how to set up bracketing. The owner's manual is pretty sparse. I'm going to be locking the mirror and using a cable switch to shoot.

In the U2 section, I'd like to set up my shots during totality, so assuming the programming and bracketing method is similar to U1, I should be able to figure that out if somebody can offer a step-by-step on the process.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Roger Dier; 08-09-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: word choice
08-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Was thinking the same thing, but I was not able to set up my custom user settings. Not sure you can you set up with bracketing with EV stops in the custom settings? Will bracket 5 shots with 2EV stops is what I will be doing for the eclipse.

Hope this help's

Brian
08-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You just need to select the correct drive mode from the drive mode menu, then save those settings in the user mode via the main menu. Is that what you already tried doing?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Questions...
  • Are you able to set up and use the desired bracketing outside the custom U1 and U2 modes?
  • What exposure mode, ISO, and bracket settings are you wanting to use?
  • How is this not working for you?
There are a couple of "gotchas" in the bracket implementation, though the basic setup is straightforward...
  1. Select +/- as the drive mode
  2. Ignore the options for remote or self-timer
  3. Use the front e-dial to select the number of exposures for the bracket
  4. Use the rear e-dial to select how many stops for each step
  5. Press OK
The default settings are to do the bracket as n-number of presses of the shutter release button. The rear LCD should show the number for the next step in the bracket set.

You also have the option in the C2 menu of changing the bracket order (not recommended) and whether to do the full bracket set in a single press.

NOTE: Exposure bracketing and timed interval exposures are not possible using the built-in intervalometer. A third-party remote with intervalometer may be appropriate if that is your use case.

Steve

08-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Are you able to set up and use the desired bracketing outside the custom U1 and U2 modes?

Yes, I was able to use bracketing outside of U1 and U2 modes, and I was able to use mirror lock when in U1 and U2 modes, but I have been unable to use them together in U1 and U2. I'm using a remote (cord) to release the shutter on mirror lock pictures. However, I can't figure out how to program mirror lock AND bracketing in U1 and U2 and be able to use a handheld switch to take the mirror lock pictures.

What exposure mode, ISO, and bracket settings are you wanting to use?
In U1 (partial eclipse) F10, ISO 100 and SS of 160 to 200, or something in-between.

How is this not working for you?

It's maddening. I've been trying to figure this out off and on for a couple of days. The basic question remains: Can I bracket photos using mirror lock in the U1, U2 and U3 modes, using a shutter release cord.

I very much thank you for your help to date. Everyone.
08-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
Yes, I was able to use bracketing outside of U1 and U2 modes, and I was able to use mirror lock when in U1 and U2 modes, but I have been unable to use them together in U1 and U2. I'm using a remote (cord) to release the shutter on mirror lock pictures. However, I can't figure out how to program mirror lock AND bracketing in U1 and U2 and be able to use a handheld switch to take the mirror lock pictures.
Thank you for the clarification.

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
The basic question remains: Can I bracket photos using mirror lock in the U1, U2 and U3 modes, using a shutter release cord.
I'm sorry that this is maddening and the basic answer is that you cannot do mirror lock-up and bracketing at the same time. They are mutually exclusive* in both normal use and when saved to a User mode. This is true for both the regular shutter button and for a wired remote release. One can only save a setup that is possible in regular shooting.

Steve

* This is the general case for drive modes. Only one may drive mode be active at a time.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-10-2017 at 08:14 PM.
08-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Steve

Thank you Stevebrot for ending a three-day search for a solution that is not possible.

It looks as if I'll have to settle for mirror-lock shooting during the solar eclipse; it's the best bet to get the best pictures.

Many thanks to you and others for your/their expertise.