Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Information on basic exposure settings screen display

The focal length setting is correct, but the exposure settings has devolved from 1/60, 1/125, 1/200 etc. to 1.6", 2.5", etc.

I have no idea what decimal exposure settings reading mean, I'd like to return to the traditional shutter speed settings we all know and love.

How do I restore the preferred exposure setting readings that are fractional, like 1/125?

08-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1.6" and 2.5" are minutes, you should turn the e-dial until you reach the faster shutter speeds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I imagine all Pentax cameras do that. My K-1 does. 1.6" means 1.6 seconds, a longer exposure. Nothing to restore.
08-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Things evolve ... not much you can do about that !

08-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
You're missing my point Pentax people, or perhaps I didn't explain it correctly. When my camera is in Manual mode, I can no longer get the shutter speed in fractions of a second, like 1/125. It turns out that I'm getting seconds of exposure. What happened? I tried moving the E-meter; all it did was increase the length (in seconds) or my exposure. Any ideas? I'm desperate to find the answer. Thank you.
08-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I am not aware of any way to change the time value indications on our DSLRs. Values shorter than 1sec are expressed as fractions, those of 1sec and longer are expressed decimally. It seems as if you are setting long exposures on your camera. In M mode then the eDial will allow you to set any time value, and turning it will eventually bring you back to fractions ...1/2, 1/4, 1/8 ....1/125 ..etc.

If you are in an auto-exposure mode and are trying this in a dark room or with the lens cap on, then you may be unable to get the camera to display any time value shorter than 1sec (because it's too dark). So go into some good light, remove the lens cap, and you should see the fractions come back.
08-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
You're missing my point Pentax people, or perhaps I didn't explain it correctly. When my camera is in Manual mode, I can no longer get the shutter speed in fractions of a second, like 1/125. It turns out that I'm getting seconds of exposure. What happened? I tried moving the E-meter; all it did was increase the length (in seconds) or my exposure. Any ideas? I'm desperate to find the answer. Thank you.
If the viewfinder display is showing something like 30" , 15" , 4" etc. (with a double quote mark) then those are exposures in seconds. But if there's no double quote mark, just a number, then its fractions of a second. Thus if the display shows just the number 125, then that's a setting of 1/125.