Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 01:22 AM   #1

K-70 Metadata

When viewing the EXIF files of K-5 with some Metadata Editor, under the header of “Manufacturer Notes” or "MakerNotes", it is possible to know some interesting data relative to any picture, such as “Shutter count”, “Camera temperature”, “Manufacture date” and many more.
I tried to find similar info in EXIF files of K-70 but I could not find them, neither in JPEG nor in PEF format .
Does anybody know whether those “Manufacturer Notes/MakerNotes” are available in K-70 files and whether it is necessary to configure some particular details of K-70 to see them?
Anticipated thanks

Last edited by MacLoz; 08-31-2017 at 10:13 AM.
08-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The makernotes metadata is definitely part of the original files. You may just need to update your tool to a newer version that recognizes the K-70 files. You may also want to make sure that the files you are looking at were written by your camera. Edited files often (always?) have the makernotes section of the EXIF stripped.

Steve
08-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The makernotes metadata is definitely part of the original files. You may just need to update your tool to a newer version that recognizes the K-70 files. You may also want to make sure that the files you are looking at were written by your camera. Edited files often (always?) have the makernotes section of the EXIF stripped.

Steve
Thanks, Steve
Well, after reading your reply I have new doubts and the new questions could be:
"Which tool/version should I use to read the MakerNotes ?"
"Is it necessary to configure some setting of K-70 to read those MakerNotes ?"
Since it seems that MakerNotes are an option that maker could include or not, another question could be "Are MakerNotes included in K-70 RAWs ?"
Thanks
08-31-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MacLoz Quote
Thanks, Steve
Well, after reading your reply I have new doubts and the new questions could be:
Since it seems that MakerNotes are an option that maker could include or not, another question could be "Are MakerNotes included in K-70 RAWs ?"
Thanks
I'd recommend ExifTool. You can upload a file and see the output here:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2017, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I use ExifTool in conjunction with ExifToolGUI. ExifTool is a powerful command line utility and for all practical purposes is the industry standard for open-source image metadata parsing. ExifToolGUI is a graphical interface for ExifTool on Windows systems and while not currently under active development continues to work quite well.

ExifTool Home Page (Most users will download the Windows or Mac installer packages)

ExifToolGUI Home Page (Information and documentation for ExifToolGUI)

ExifToolGUI Download

ExifTool Pentax Tag Reference

There is nothing to set.

Yes, they are included.

Steve
08-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd recommend ExifTool. You can upload a file and see the output here:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Thank you Adam,
Perfect. Excellent link

---------- Post added 09-01-2017 at 01:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use ExifTool in conjunction with ExifToolGUI. ExifTool is a powerful command line utility and for all practical purposes is the industry standard for open-source image metadata parsing. ExifToolGUI is a graphical interface for ExifTool on Windows systems and while not currently under active development continues to work quite well.

ExifTool Home Page (Most users will download the Windows or Mac installer packages)

ExifToolGUI Home Page (Information and documentation for ExifToolGUI)

ExifToolGUI Download

ExifTool Pentax Tag Reference

There is nothing to set.

Yes, they are included.

Steve
Thank you again, Steve
Very complete info. IŽll read instructions this weekend and I'll try installation
10-14-2017, 04:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Few days ago, I found the web ShutterCounter.com - Online check DSLR shutter count and EXIF info (?????EXIF??)
There you may obtain very complete PEF files metadata, including shutter count and wide EXIF info.
The only limitation is a Max file size below 30MB