Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Strange Serial Number?

Just received a K-70 that I ordered from Amazon. I noticed the serial number looks different. It is only 6 characters long instead of 7. Has anyone seen this before? My K-50 is 7 digits. Also noticed that the sticker for the serial number on the K-50 and the one picture I could find of a K-70 is gray. The one on this example is black.

10-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are 12 k70s in the serial number data base on this site. All are 7digits ranging from 638xxxx-734xxxx.
10-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jg45 Quote
Just received a K-70 that I ordered from Amazon. I noticed the serial number looks different. It is only 6 characters long instead of 7. Has anyone seen this before? My K-50 is 7 digits. Also noticed that the sticker for the serial number on the K-50 and the one picture I could find of a K-70 is gray. The one on this example is black.
Was there a serial number card included in the box?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

My K-70 has 7 digits, starting with a 7.

10-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also you can check that against the serial number in the EXIF data of the pictures you take (should be Exif.Pentax.SerialNumber, it's under Maker if you use ExifToolGUI).
10-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Also you can check that against the serial number in the EXIF data of the pictures you take (should be Exif.Pentax.SerialNumber, it's under Maker if you use ExifToolGUI).
There was no card in the box with a serial number. The EXIF data did have a 7 digit serial number starting with 729 and that is in the range of the numbers in the database. For some reason, it is not on the bottom of the camera. Also shutter count is 2. So it appears to be new since I took 2 photos.
10-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So was this a grey market purchase then? Wouldn't surprise me if the seller was playing tricks.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
I guess it was gray market. I bought through Amazon and it was listed as Prime shipping. After reviewing the order, I see it was a third party seller.
10-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was the seller name Yakusa?
10-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

he EXIF data did have a 7 digit serial number starting with 729 and that is in the range of the numbers in the database. For some reason, it is not on the bottom of the camera.
Note that there are two serial number values in the makernotes section of the EXIF. ExifTool calls them "SerialNumber" (prints out as "Serial Number") and "InternalSerialNumber" (prints out as "Internal Serial Number"). SerialNumber should be the same as the one on the bottom of the body.

If "SerialNumber" and the number on the bottom of the camera are different, it is very likely "gray market" and will not be eligible for warranty service. There may also be issues with service in general. This PetaPixel article, while about a Nikon and not a Pentax, may be of interest:

I Bought a Fake Nikon DSLR: My Experience with Gray Market Imports

Steve
10-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Was the seller name Yakusa?
No. The invoice says Web Offers.

---------- Post added 10-15-17 at 06:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note that there are two serial number values in the makernotes section of the EXIF. ExifTool calls them "SerialNumber" (prints out as "Serial Number") and "InternalSerialNumber" (prints out as "Internal Serial Number"). SerialNumber should be the same as the one on the bottom of the body.

If "SerialNumber" and the number on the bottom of the camera are different, it is very likely "gray market" and will not be eligible for warranty service. There may also be issues with service in general. This PetaPixel article, while about a Nikon and not a Pentax, may be of interest:

I Bought a Fake Nikon DSLR: My Experience with Gray Market Imports

Steve
That's what I am afraid of.
10-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No. The invoice says Web Offers.
Yup that's not an authorized seller. Assuming you got a discount, hang on to the camera if you're fine with no warranty. Otherwise I would return & exchange for one from an authorized dealer (amazon.com, B&H, Adorama, Ricoh, etc.).

Adam

10-24-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Just wanted to share a follow up on this. I contacted the seller and expressed my concerns. The seller agreed to either take the camera back or they would provide a certified, third party 3 year warranty. I accepted their offer of a 3 year warranty provided by CPS. Kudos to them for stepping up to resolve the situation.