Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

PLS BRING BACK AF-ASSIST LIGHT on FLASHGUNS with K-70

???
I bought a K-70 as a backup-body and now:

... I feel a bit dumbfounded, since Ricoh-Imaging killed off AF-Assist light via P-TTL flash on PENTAX K-70.

Why did they do it?
Pls spare us "camera internal is enough", because it is not.(cause the internal beams source sits between mount and grip and often gets covered by your hands)

Why for Petes sake did they take away that feature?
People are actually complaining about that the AF-Assist-Light, that reacts too late when they do photography on parties and indoor events etc.
and say it should be customizable by the user, so I am certain that this is not a wise move... to lift the brands reputation.

Looking at what it does on the K-70(so far the camera-internal)... : REACTING TOO LATE or only in total darkness...,
one should think, that it would make sense to have a user customizable threshold for the AF-Assist light.

And the option to switch it on permanently, better said: for the time you half-press the shutter release button.
And to let the user choose to set preference on either internal or external "SpotBeam"(AF assist light).

I read a few posts from other PENTAX users, that the camera in some cases(seems to differ from -body- -firmware-) is very undecisive, on which AF Beam it should use... (internal/external)

What are your thoughts on this?

Wouldn't you also like to have more options about AF-Assist light in the firmware/menu for this?

11-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
???

... I feel a bit dumbfounded, since Ricoh-Imaging killed off AF-Assist light via P-TTL flash on PENTAX K-70.

Why did they do it?
They didnt
11-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
They didnt
What he said ^ ^ ^

A few considerations:
  • The assist light will switch to the flash if a compatible unit is detected as "ready"
  • A flash that has gone into power-save "sleep" or which is charging will not be detected as "ready". In either case, it may be necessary to repeat the AF attempt once the flash signals ready in the viewfinder.
  • If there is a lag or delay, a little experimentation will show that such is the same as for the assist lamp on the camera
  • As with the on-board assist, the lamp on the flash will not remain lit if focus is not quickly attained within a second or so
The above applies to Pentax-brand. With third-party units all bets are off with the blame falling to the flash.

Steve
11-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The above applies to Pentax-brand.
Note that the assist may be optional by a menu setting on some Pentax-brand flash. If it is not working, a check of the settings may be in order.

Note too that AF assist is only available with the camera in AF-S mode.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-15-2017 at 11:27 AM.
11-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It will not switch when used with older flashes with red LED grid AF assist. It is stated in manual of every camera from K-s1 onward. Current camera models only support white LED assist od new FGZ flashes oraz built-in green LED. Check external flash modes chapter.
11-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
It will not switch when used with older flashes with red LED grid AF assist. It is stated in manual of every camera from K-s1 onward. Current camera models only support white LED assist od new FGZ flashes oraz built-in green LED. Check external flash modes chapter.
Well there you go! I believe the OP has the older-generation flash.

Edit: I am surprised to have not been aware of this. This partial orphaning of previous generation flash was not called out in reviews on this site that I am aware of though it is in the manuals for the KS-1 and following. I guess one learns something new every day.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-15-2017 at 05:58 PM.
11-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sadly this seems to be intentional crippling of backward compatibility, because newer AF assist of FGZ540II works perfectly fine on for example K-5IIs and K-50, that also supported red af assist of my own Metz flashes, and first gen FGZ540 I had,

11-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, it is obviously possible for the newer DSLRs to support both older and newer flash 'SpotBeams", because all of our older cameras do (such as my K7, etc etc).

So why not the latest cameras as well? ...... The old AF-540FGZ was designed more than 12-13 years ago (I think), with the Brand under Hoya control. Could it be that Ricoh Pentax just can't imagine that their customers buying the latest cameras would still be using the old flashes after so many years?!? Or that those customers might like to buy a nice shiny new Ricoh/Pentax flash instead!

The only problems I can think of about this is that many people still seem to prefer the older 'red grid' style of AF SpotBeam ..... Plus many might still be happy with their older flash units. .....
11-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've had a correspondence via email with Metz technician on that issue- they initially had no idea what is going on, then I've found and informed them that it was made unsupported by Ricoh. Metz dude wrote me that they did not change anything in their flashguns that would make their AF spotlight(in form of red cross mark, not grid) not to work on newer models. I've tested almost all current lineup of Metz flashes- 44-2/52-1/64-1 that come with af assist light with K-s2, K-3 I&II and K-50. On K-50 it works, but not on anything newer than 2013.