Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-70 ISO controls

I'm thinking of getting a K-70 previously coming from a K5. One thing that bothers me about the K-70 is that on top of the camera where the K-5 had an ISO button, the K-70 has a green button and FX2 button.

So I figure oh, okay, no harm, surely I could reprogram either of those buttons to serve as an ISO button, right? But according to the in depth review of the menu system, it does not appear so. FX2 can be bound to functions like electronic level, bracketing, etc. but not the basic function of ISO. Not sure if the green button is programmable at all.

So then my questions are: can you reprogram one of the top buttons to function the way the ISO button works on K-5/K-3? If not, how exactly does the K-70 ISO function work? Do you hold the thumb button/up direction arrow in the back marked ISO and then turn the front dial to set it, or does that just bring up a menu from which you then set the ISO?

And as a bonus question - to anyone who owned a K-5, does the K-70 feel as good in your hand in general? I really liked the size and build and heft of the K-5 so I'm hoping the design is relatively similar.

11-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SenorBeef Quote
I'm thinking of getting a K-70 previously coming from a K5. One thing that bothers me about the K-70 is that on top of the camera where the K-5 had an ISO button, the K-70 has a green button and FX2 button.

So I figure oh, okay, no harm, surely I could reprogram either of those buttons to serve as an ISO button, right? But according to the in depth review of the menu system, it does not appear so. FX2 can be bound to functions like electronic level, bracketing, etc. but not the basic function of ISO. Not sure if the green button is programmable at all.

So then my questions are: can you reprogram one of the top buttons to function the way the ISO button works on K-5/K-3? If not, how exactly does the K-70 ISO function work? Do you hold the thumb button/up direction arrow in the back marked ISO and then turn the front dial to set it, or does that just bring up a menu from which you then set the ISO?

And as a bonus question - to anyone who owned a K-5, does the K-70 feel as good in your hand in general? I really liked the size and build and heft of the K-5 so I'm hoping the design is relatively similar.
On the K-70, after you press the ISO button on the back of the camera, you'll be able to adjust the ISO using the e-dial. It's not as quick to make adjustments as on the K-5.

However, you can map one of the e-dials to always control the ISO in Av or Tv, which is almost as good.

The K-70 feels very good in your hand, the only real difference between it and the K-5 is the build quality. The K-70 does not have a magnesium alloy body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2017, 03:36 AM   #3

My front dial is programmed to control iso (except in manual mode) without pressing extra buttons so its really easy.
11-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own both a K70 and a K5 and must admit that the K70 feels less sturdy than the K5, but the K70 fits better in my hand. The articulating screen is a real benefit.