Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Is in body stabilization working ? (no noise at all)

Hello,
I just got my brand new K-70, and i'm happy with it except i'm wondering if SR/IS is really working properly.
SR is enabled as the icon is shown on the homescreen, but i never heard any noise that could indicate me that the SR is working, even if i stick my ears on the camera.
Do you have any experience at earing some noise while using SR ?
Thank you for your support

regards

Nick

12-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Put on a wide angle manual lens. Tell the camera it is a 450mm lens. Take a picture at 1/20th of a second. You will know....
12-05-2017, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On older models (like the k-x) you could hear IBIS. But on newer models not really, unless you have much better hearing than I do.
12-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you D1N0, jatrax

I'll try to simulate a telephoto lens as you suggested, but i'm now confident that my camera is not faulty.
I have done some testings with or without SR enabled, but nothing was obvious altough it appeared just slighly better with it.

12-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Turn on live view and pan then turn off SR and pan again with live view on. You should be able to see the difference SR makes pretty clearly.
12-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fujiste Quote
I have done some testings with or without SR enabled, but nothing was obvious altough it appeared just slighly better with it.
Under normal conditions, with a good camera hold you would not see any difference. SR only comes into play when the light is poor and you are trying to take images with a longer shutter speed than suggested. Or when taking shots that pan or have some other movement. Personally I consider shake reduction a crutch that should only be used when absolutely needed. A proper hold and brace along with paying attention to the shutter speed and other settings removes the need for SR in most normal conditions. Also it should NOT be used when mounted on a tripod as it will negatively impact the image. Just my humble opinion.
12-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fujiste Quote
Hello,
I just got my brand new K-70, and i'm happy with it except i'm wondering if SR/IS is really working properly.
SR is enabled as the icon is shown on the homescreen, but i never heard any noise that could indicate me that the SR is working, even if i stick my ears on the camera.
Do you have any experience at earing some noise while using SR ?
Thank you for your support

regards

Nick
I asked exactly the same question around a year ago
I tested my camera and can tell that it works
Just surprisingly silently

SR very silent or not working - PentaxForums.com