Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #16
whafrog

Nice shot, thanks!

---------- Post added 12-28-17 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Still, I have recently acquired some of those photo gloves with the slide off fingers.
Not to derail my own thread but I found that bare skin is too cold at any duration. I see you're in Edmonton, so probably have a MEC outlet. This is my goto hand setup:

MEC Tech Touch Glove - Children to Youths <-- I can work all the buttons and dials with these on, and don't get that "cold burn" feeling.

MEC Cascade Mitts - Unisex <-- very warm, especially over the gloves, with the rubberized strips I can do almost everything (except the small buttons), including a lens change

Over that I have an oversized shell, but that was too warm after hiking, even at -26.

12-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whafrog Quote
Nice shot, thanks!

---------- Post added 12-28-17 at 09:55 AM ----------

Not to derail my own thread but I found that bare skin is too cold at any duration. I see you're in Edmonton, so probably have a MEC outlet. This is my goto hand setup:

MEC Tech Touch Glove - Children to Youths <-- I can work all the buttons and dials with these on, and don't get that "cold burn" feeling.

MEC Cascade Mitts - Unisex <-- very warm, especially over the gloves, with the rubberized strips I can do almost everything (except the small buttons), including a lens change

Over that I have an oversized shell, but that was too warm after hiking, even at -26.
We must think alike as I have those exact same mitts (other than the colour shown). I just get cold when I take one off to operate the camera.

12-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #18
whafrog

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The issue is most likely the battery and not the camera nor condensation.
Just an update, the battery was the issue. I went out today (it was even colder, -31C) and this time kept a battery in a little bag around my chest, under the outer layers. When after a couple hours the mirror did its triple-flip again, I swapped the cold battery (even though it said it had 1/4 charge) with the warm one and the problem went away. Once the new battery got cold (after another hour) it did its triple-flip thing again, but by then I was done anyway.

So, thanks "Bob 256", I can go out with confidence
12-31-2017, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by whafrog Quote
Just an update, the battery was the issue. I went out today (it was even colder, -31C) and this time kept a battery in a little bag around my chest, under the outer layers. When after a couple hours the mirror did its triple-flip again, I swapped the cold battery (even though it said it had 1/4 charge) with the warm one and the problem went away. Once the new battery got cold (after another hour) it did its triple-flip thing again, but by then I was done anyway.

So, thanks "Bob 256", I can go out with confidence
Glad you found your solution and it wasn't the camera. Just don't try to warm up those lithium batteries in your cup of hot Joe

03-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Humidity & Condensation

I saw this thread and noticed a lot of different comments on "Humidity & Condensation" made me wonder if I am using a "weather sealed" camera such as the K-70 with weather sealed lenses and they are supposed to keep moisture & dust out of my equipment then is "condensation" a problem? What is weather sealing on a camera?

As for the cold aspects and keeping your equipment warm, has anyone considered keeping their gear in a portable cooler/warmer in the car, they can be had for less than $100 and have more than one purpose.

Just my 2 cents!
03-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
whafrog

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I saw this thread and noticed a lot of different comments on "Humidity & Condensation" made me wonder if I am using a "weather sealed" camera such as the K-70 with weather sealed lenses and they are supposed to keep moisture & dust out of my equipment then is "condensation" a problem? What is weather sealing on a camera?
Yes, condensation would still be a problem. Don't underestimate the power of humidity...over time, there's very little that "weather sealing" can do against air. The internals of the lens and camera can still absorb ambient air, especially with a lens change.

The guy at my local shop said he just keeps his camera bag closed until it warms up enough. The air in the bag retains the same ambient conditions as when it was last opened, presumably that would be "outside". I've done this for the past few months and can attest that it works (so far), but if you're worried about it just wrap the camera bag in a plastic grocery bag. Just note that when coming in from -30C, it can take several hours of sitting in the bag to warm up to something approaching room temperature. If it's chill to the touch, it's too cold.
03-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote

As for the cold aspects and keeping your equipment warm, has anyone considered keeping their gear in a portable cooler/warmer in the car, they can be had for less than $100 and have more than one purpose.

Just my 2 cents!
Humidity is a tough menace, it sneaks through the moving parts, here the lenses. Over the time it will enter to camera compartment too. The best practice is to wipe the camera off if wet and dry outside the bag and then should be put inside the bags with active desiccant such as adsorbent silica (in a bag). I think weather sealing is just first line of defence against accidental splash, sand storms, showers etc but can’t stop humidity in the long run.

Atindra