Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What maximum ISO to use on K-70 default auto ISO range?

I'm curious to see what you experienced K-70 folks use for the upper limit of the auto ISO range. After playing around with my new K-70, I think I'll use 12,800 as the upper limit (i.e., range set to 100 - 12,800). I set custom ranges for noise reduction, with no noise reduction at low ISOs, NR=1 for 6400 and above, and I think NR=2 at 12,800. Certainly I don't see any issue using the 6400 level, so I'll go one stop higher to 12,800. I seem to be getting pretty usable images (at least for sharing on the web) at the high ISO settings, for my not too critical standards. In a pinch I think I could accept the 25,600 shots in very low light, maybe even a stop higher.

12-31-2017, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just set my K-3 to the highest it goes. When you set a limit, the camera won't shoot, and that annoys me. I'd rather it take a grainy picture than appear to be jammed up. Because then I get confused as to why its not firing, then I start hunting around in settings to see what I've done wrong. I'd rather see the picture pop up on the back of the screen for 3 or 5 seconds, and go yep, that looks yuck, and then adjust another parameter.

When I bought my first dslr (nikon) a friend told me to do just that, and not shoot above ISO 1600, the camera wouldn't take the picture, and I was confused. I do this even on my Fuji camera and max out the ISO so's that it always shoots. Unfortunately in Fuji the base ISO is 200, and when you broaden the ISO range it then starts at ISO 400 ....which is whats stupid about my fuji cameras.
12-31-2017, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
....When you set a limit, the camera won't shoot, and that annoys me. I'd rather it take a grainy picture than appear to be jammed up. Because then I get confused as to why its not firing, then I start hunting around in settings to see what I've done wrong....
You appear to have found a setting that I have yet to discover. My camera (K-3 and K-70) is always able to fire the shot, however low the upper limit in Auto ISO.

OldChE - my K-70 is set at Auto ISO 100 to 6400 for grab shots. However, for considered shooting, I usually use manual ISO, setting it as low as feasible for the subject and scene.
12-31-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
whafrog

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
OldChE - my K-70 is set at Auto ISO 100 to 6400 for grab shots. However, for considered shooting, I usually use manual ISO, setting it as low as feasible for the subject and scene.
That's what I do. For birds, where detail matters, even 3200 is a bit much for me, but I'd rather allow the shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I set custom ranges for noise reduction, with no noise reduction at low ISOs, NR=1 for 6400 and above, and I think NR=2 at 12,800.
Interesting thought about custom NR, I will have to try that out.

01-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I just set my K-3 to the highest it goes. When you set a limit, the camera won't shoot, and that annoys me. I'd rather it take a grainy picture than appear to be jammed up. Because then I get confused as to why its not firing, then I start hunting around in settings to see what I've done wrong. I'd rather see the picture pop up on the back of the screen for 3 or 5 seconds, and go yep, that looks yuck, and then adjust another parameter.

When I bought my first dslr (nikon) a friend told me to do just that, and not shoot above ISO 1600, the camera wouldn't take the picture, and I was confused. I do this even on my Fuji camera and max out the ISO so's that it always shoots. Unfortunately in Fuji the base ISO is 200, and when you broaden the ISO range it then starts at ISO 400 ....which is whats stupid about my fuji cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
You appear to have found a setting that I have yet to discover. My camera (K-3 and K-70) is always able to fire the shot, however low the upper limit in Auto ISO.

QuoteOriginally posted by whafrog Quote
That's what I do. For birds, where detail matters, even 3200 is a bit much for me, but I'd rather allow the shot.

Interesting thought about custom NR, I will have to try that out.
Thanks to all for your comments.

I've not found that the camera refuses to shoot whatever the max ISO, but if I leave the Max ISO at a very high value it tends to push up the ISO and shoot at a rather fast shutter speed. I'd rather it drop the shutter to a slower speed, since the stabilization works so well (i.e., rather shoot at 1/15s at ISO 400 vs. 1/120s at ISO 3200).

I too was using 6400 as my max ISO, but after some testing I think the quality is acceptable at higher for my purposes, at least in general, so I think I'll try 12800 for a while. As the rest of you have said, on occasion when I'm particular about image quality I'll shift into manual ISO anyway.

I found the advice on the custom NR settings here on the forum.

I should have indicated that I'm usually shooting in JPEG.

Thanks --> Richard.
02-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Note to all: I've been using ISO 12,800 as my maximum default setting, I'm pretty happy with the results so far. This one was with the Pentax K-70, 18-135 WR zoom at 78mm, 1/80s at F5.6, ISO 12,800, Bold Monochrome digital filter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-17-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@OldChE....your results at 12800 are very impressive. The advances with the capabilities to capture quality images in high iso have been very impressive over the years. I remember with my old kx and k10d when I wasn't comfortable taking them much above iso 400. The k70's high iso performance has had a significant impact on what, where, and when I can shoot. For me, being able to trust a higher iso was game changing.

02-19-2018, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
@OldChE....your results at 12800 are very impressive. The advances with the capabilities to capture quality images in high iso have been very impressive over the years. I remember with my old kx and k10d when I wasn't comfortable taking them much above iso 400. The k70's high iso performance has had a significant impact on what, where, and when I can shoot. For me, being able to trust a higher iso was game changing.
Yes, I've been quite pleased with the K70 up to my 12800 limit, and with the camera and lens (18-135) overall. I spent a lot of time debating between the K70 and the KP, and I've been quite happy with my choice. Some day perhaps I'll get a full frame DSLR as well (the K1 or whatever the new model will be), but I look forward to having a lot of fun with the K70.