Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #1

K70 / moving objects

Using my old Fuji S5 Pro for the last 9 years, problems with die AF male me watch out for a new camera.

The Fuji uses Body and AF system of the Nikon D200, so it is pretty outdated and indeed, the miss-rate especially with moving objects is quite high. What I like, though, is the image quality in terms of colours and dynamic range.

I don't have so many Nikon lenses that a system change would be a great loss, so I think about getting a K70 and would like to ask you about your experiences when shooting sports or other moving objects. I know, that there are better cameras in terms of AF Speed, but the K70s features are very tempting and I like the idea of a "rugged" camera which I can use during hikes or even when I go paddling.

Appreciate your thoughts!

01-12-2018, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the right lens--particularly the 55-300mm PLM--you can do pretty OK...
01-12-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yo_eddie Quote
Using my old Fuji S5 Pro for the last 9 years, problems with die AF male me watch out for a new camera.

The Fuji uses Body and AF system of the Nikon D200, so it is pretty outdated and indeed, the miss-rate especially with moving objects is quite high. What I like, though, is the image quality in terms of colours and dynamic range.

I don't have so many Nikon lenses that a system change would be a great loss, so I think about getting a K70 and would like to ask you about your experiences when shooting sports or other moving objects. I know, that there are better cameras in terms of AF Speed, but the K70s features are very tempting and I like the idea of a "rugged" camera which I can use during hikes or even when I go paddling.

Appreciate your thoughts!
If you pick up the new 55-300mm PLM lens, the AF speed will actually be really really fast. You should be able to get great results from it, which when combined with the K-70's great sensor will be able to result in very clear images

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2018, 01:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have read about the PLM 55-300, indeed. What would be your suggestion for an "every day" lens?
Some say the 18-135 is fast enough, some say it's a slouch.

The Sigma 17-70 (faster aperture, too) would be nice, but unfortunately no WR.

01-13-2018, 02:00 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yo_eddie Quote
I have read about the PLM 55-300, indeed. What would be your suggestion for an "every day" lens?
Some say the 18-135 is fast enough, some say it's a slouch.

The Sigma 17-70 (faster aperture, too) would be nice, but unfortunately no WR.
Although I have some fast constant-aperture glass, I often shoot my K-3 with slower variable aperture lenses, and I have very few problems with image quality. The K-70 is noticeably better than my K-3 at higher ISO settings, so unless your typical use case is low-light work, I think you'd do just fine with it. Like all lenses, it has some limitations, but I'd suggest you read the user reviews and look at the photos (many of which are very impressive) our members have produced with it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-13-2018 at 02:08 AM.