Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #1

DA 15mm polarizing filter

I purchased a polarizing filter for my DA 15mm lens. Unfortunately the lens filter that I purchased does not allow me to extend the built-in hood on the lens. Question: Is there a reasonably priced polarizing filter that would work with this lens and yet be narrow enough to allow use of the hood?

01-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out the B+W filters. I know it may be a bit more than you want to spend, but they are excellent quality, and the 49mm size is very common for Pentax lenses, so there's a good chance it will fit other lenses you have or will acquire at some point. The DA 15 is a nice lens, and I always feel if you're going to use a filter, you need to use a top quality one to not have a negative impact on picture quality. I'm using the B+W 49mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC-Nano Filter on my DA 15 with no issues. Of note, there are several flavors of CPLs from B+W. I picked the Kaesemann one to minimize the light loss inherent with CPLs. You can check it out here: B+W 49mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular 66-1081470

Also, be aware that with wide angle shots, you can get an uneven effect on the sky - it can end up being very dark on one side of the frame and much lighter on the other side, depending on the angle of how you're shooting relative to the light. Sometimes it's just a question of not dialing it in as much to still get some benefit from the polarizer without skewing the sky too much.
01-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Go through this article about CPL filters
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2a017/09/my-not-nearly-complete-but-rather-...ilter-article/
01-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My two-cents' worth: That lens takes amazing photos in all kinds of sunlight without seeming to suffer much from the effects of polarized light; it's one of the wonderful things about that lens. So in addition to the significant limitations of using a CPL on a lens that wide, it's really superfluous in this case.

01-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was out playing with a B+W circular polarizer on my SMC DA 15 this afternoon. Since it makes the sky different shades of blue on a UWA, I will use it on my other lenses with a 49mm thread. It is very nice on my FA 77 Limited though.
And I second clickclick's recommendation of B+W filters. Go for thin but with all of the coatings.
01-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
My two-cents' worth: That lens takes amazing photos in all kinds of sunlight without seeming to suffer much from the effects of polarized light; it's one of the wonderful things about that lens. So in addition to the significant limitations of using a CPL on a lens that wide, it's really superfluous in this case.
I'd say inflate it to three cents worth, as I was also thinking that perhaps I should simply get more mileage on this new lens without a filter to see how it does before I invest in a new better fitting polarizer.

But I do have a 40mm DA and plan to invest also in the Pentax 100 macro. All of which take the same filter size.