Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

AF Fine Adjustment

I've been experimenting with my new K-70. I wasn't happy that the viewfinder auto-focus was working correctly, so I checked it out with one of those card lens focus calibration tools. I discovered that all three of my lenses were focussing significantly in-front of the target.

After a few hours trying different settings I have settled on applying a -8 adjustment for all lenses. All seems fine now.

I was just wondering...Is this a typical experience? Do other people have to do this?

Thanks, Jim

02-27-2018, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim93 Quote
I've been experimenting with my new K-70. I wasn't happy that the viewfinder auto-focus was working correctly, so I checked it out with one of those card lens focus calibration tools. I discovered that all three of my lenses were focussing significantly in-front of the target.

After a few hours trying different settings I have settled on applying a -8 adjustment for all lenses. All seems fine now.

I was just wondering...Is this a typical experience? Do other people have to do this?

Thanks, Jim
While I'm not sure if I'd call it typical, having to apply AF adjustments is normal, especially if a single adjustment value improves the focusing accuracy of many different lenses. Many other users have gone through the same process as you

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim, yes very typical. I've done it with all my Pentax cameras and lenses. Interestingly, the lenses are similar in the adjustments needed, but the cameras differ. eg camera 1 needs lenses around +5. Camera 2 around +5. Camera three around +2. I've never seen one camera with my lenses varying by much more than around +or - 2. So it's the cameras that differ, in my experience. So your K-70 seems fine to me.

Just a note zooms vary across their range and a choice is often required to be made with the AF. I tend to choose AF setting for the fl I expect to mostly use the zoom.
02-27-2018, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks, Jim
I had to apply AF tuning for FA 50mm F1.4, Sigma 180mm macro & Tamron 28-75. I tested few months ago. I take AF tuning seriously and want the tests to be as scientific as possible; in the sense keep both target and camera in parallel planes; use MLU etc. I plan to retest again and then only apply the results to camera.

03-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #5

I notice in the menu (K-3ii) that you can turn this off, apply all or apply one. If you use apply one, does it let you name the lens? Can you then do a second lens? I am assuming that different lenses may need different adjustments.

Mike
07-31-2018, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Fine Tuning auto-focus Lenses

Mike, several cameras are programmed to remember up to 20 distinct lenses when fine-tuning the focus...
11-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Forum Member

I have a question about AF fine adjustment: what are the values?
What does +1 mean? Is it the same as +10um in DEBUG mode?

12-22-2020, 01:49 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Hi Jim, yes very typical. I've done it with all my Pentax cameras and lenses. Interestingly, the lenses are similar in the adjustments needed, but the cameras differ. eg camera 1 needs lenses around +5. Camera 2 around +5. Camera three around +2. I've never seen one camera with my lenses varying by much more than around +or - 2. So it's the cameras that differ, in my experience. So your K-70 seems fine to me.

Just a note zooms vary across their range and a choice is often required to be made with the AF. I tend to choose AF setting for the fl I expect to mostly use the zoom.
Hi, I am new to this forum and I noticed that you know how to calibrate lenses on the K70. I have one myself but in my menu the possibility to correct lenses is blocked out. In every setting. How do I get this menu item unchecked?
Best regards,

Arnout
12-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcavadino Quote
Hi, I am new to this forum and I noticed that you know how to calibrate lenses on the K70. I have one myself but in my menu the possibility to correct lenses is blocked out. In every setting. How do I get this menu item unchecked?
Best regards,

Arnout
You will get better replies if you say the specific menu item you're looking at when you say "blocked out." List all the steps after pressing "Menu" you took to get to that point.
12-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well - if you see that all of them are biased by the same amount, then maybe it makes sense to apply all?