Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the R-OC1 for short quick jobs which allow a close unobstructed path to the camera simply because the R-OC1 is so small and easy to carry (it impresses people too). I have a K-1 so an IR port is located front and rear. Works great for vibration sensitive shots by eliminating camera contact when tripping the shutter.

That said, I prefer an RF wireless remote for most anything else. Being practical at such things, I built my own using a wireless key bob, and a receiver & microcontroller which can flash the Pentax focus & shutter codes to the IR input of my K-1 with a local IR emitter. More powerful transmitters are available which would allow camera control from blocks or miles away (though I would never actually put that distance between myself and my beloved K-1).

That being said, commercial wireless units go beyond simple shutter control with additional features such as bulb control, timers, etc., but often use a wire to connect to your camera which is a bit of a thing with me due to issues of connector wear and external "thingys" being wired into my K-1 innards.

That being said - there are a lot of choices when it comes to remote control and you need to pick the one which works best for you, and that will change from application to application. You may end up with several in the end.

Enough that being saids(is that a sentence???)

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.
03-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
check if your phone has an ir port. If so there are apps that make it a very useful, always in your pocket, remote.
+1. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, and the app DSLR Remote. It works a treat with my K-S2 and K-3.
03-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #18
Forum Member

I have Pentax Remote Control E. It's basic but it gets the job done. It is a bit small and hard to operate with gloves. I set my bulb mode to two shutter presses and just time with my watch. I picked it over Remote Control F because E has an AF button.
03-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mikecnorthwest, I hope you enjoy your K70 as much as I'm enjoying mine. I opted for the CS-310 simply because I feel more comfortable using a physical cable; a bit of analog familiarity in the digital world. Whatever your decision, have fun!

03-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pklax Quote
mikecnorthwest, I opted for the CS-310 simply because I feel more comfortable using a physical cable; a bit of analog familiarity in the digital world.
I know exactly what you mean. That's my dilemma currently.
03-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #21

If your just looking to trigger the shutter take a look at this at amazon $23.99 PRIME

Pixel 2.4GHz Digital Wireless Remote Shutter Release E3 for Canon, Pentax, Samsung, Contax, Sigma and Hassleblad Cameras, Replaces Canon RS-60E3

I had been using the standard IR triggers but I could not always get line of sight to the sensor on front or back of camera.
This will trigger from any angle and has a few other options.
03-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #22

I understand you have asked about a remote control.... but just in case you have not tried any of the composite and interval modes, they are well worth a look, I do a lot of long exposure work and I no longer use a remote control, I just a mixture from these modes, they cover anything I need to do, Sorry if you already know this.

Last edited by scottmasterton; 03-08-2018 at 03:14 PM.
03-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scottmasterton Quote
I understand you have asked about a remote control.... but just in case you have not tried any of the composite and interval modes, they are well worth a look, I do a lot of long exposure work and I no longer use a remote control, I just a mixture from these modes, they cover anything I need to do, Sorry if you already know this.
I will take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

05-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I have used a JJC RM-E7 remote control with a K-50 for two years. Now have a K-70 and it works fine. Have used it a lot and have not needed to replace the battery yet. Amazon sells them for $10.00. Just remember the K-70 has only one sensor which is on the front of the camera. No triggering the shutter from behind.
It also works from behind, if you put your hand or something just in front of the sensor to act as a mirror usefulness is a completely different topic, though
06-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #25

For your information: the "TXT" button on any SONY TV remote i had/have also triggers the shutter...
06-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it's been 12 months since the last post and a lot of answers did mention a unit and/or a link that does not work... please post the link to the unit you are talking about. The only link that worked is for the PIXEL TW283E3 Wireless Shutter Remote at $32 on amazone which seems good.

I'm still looking for something out there to replace my JongNuo IR remote that quit on me 2 days ago after 10 years of great work...

Has anybody found an application for that, that works on a K1 or K5IIs, or is there a good remote living out there...? The only remote shutter release which is able to work well up to 100ft - 30m - IR is controlled by a hand held unit who triggers a unit plugged in the camera. The only alternative is using a wi-fi system.

Thank you for all available info.

Last edited by Rnovo; 06-24-2019 at 09:36 AM.
06-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Well, it's been 12 months since the last post and a lot of answers did mention a unit and/or a link that does not work... please post the link to the unit you are talking about. The only link that worked is for the PIXEL TW283E3 Wireless Shutter Remote at $32 on amazone which seems good.

I'm still looking for something out there to replace my JongNuo IR remote that quit on me 2 days ago after 10 years of great work...

Has anybody found an application for that, that works on a K1 or K5IIs, or is there a good remote living out there...? The only remote shutter release which is able to work well up to 100ft - 30m - IR is controlled by a hand held unit who triggers a unit plugged in the camera. The only alternative is using a wi-fi system.

Thank you for all available info.
Opened the main unit where there is a battery, a "dog collar battery": 12v 23A, which I'm going to look for. Is that the only problem then?

Changed the battery and all is back to normal.

Last edited by Rnovo; 06-25-2019 at 03:25 PM.