Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's best for remote shutter release

I'm looking for recommendations on operating the remote shuttle release on the K-70. My camera arrives tomorrow so I don't have any hands on experience yet but from my understanding my choices are using the wifi app, the cabled remote CS-310, the wireless waterproof O-RC1, and the wireless remote control F. I'm looking for simplicity and reliability so I'm leaning towards the CS-310 cable but I also don't want to ignore the wireless options if they are working as intended.

03-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The CS 310 cable remote will be very versatile allowing such things as long B setting exposures and triggering all of the timer modes including mirror lockup. I actually have all of the remotes you listed including wireless control of my K-1 and K-3 but still prefer the simplicity of the cable remote for normal tripod mounted shooting. YMMV of course. Note that the cables remote F is designed for older cameras and uses a different connection to the body. With digital, get the CS-310.
03-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After having used all of the different ways of triggering the camera I prefer a wireless RF method with the Wi-Fi running close second.
I use cheap Yongnuo RF603N-II triggers with 2.5mm to 2.5mm (for K7,K5) and 2.5mm to 3.5mm (for KP) short coiled TRS cords.

Yongnuo RF-603N II Wireless Flash Trigger Kit RF-603II N1 B&H

Wooden Camera WC Coiled 2.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRS Cable 206500 B&H

Beachtek SC25 3.5mm to 2.5mm Stereo Output Cable SC25 B&H Photo
03-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Would I be able to use bulb mode with any of the wireless remotes? I have a simple wired one, but it gets in the way sometimes, especially in winter with bulky clothes and stuff. Would be nice to be able to stand beside the camera keeping hands in pockets firing away

03-04-2018, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used a JJC RM-E7 remote control with a K-50 for two years. Now have a K-70 and it works fine. Have used it a lot and have not needed to replace the battery yet. Amazon sells them for $10.00. Just remember the K-70 has only one sensor which is on the front of the camera. No triggering the shutter from behind.
03-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Would I be able to use bulb mode with any of the wireless remotes? I have a simple wired one, but it gets in the way sometimes, especially in winter with bulky clothes and stuff. Would be nice to be able to stand beside the camera keeping hands in pockets firing away
I use 2 click Bulb mode ( on - off) with JJC wireless etc (Iphone / andriod/PC) on my K3 should be able to use it on K1. Back I/R you need direct line of sight can't do with paws in your pocket.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 11:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I use 2 click Bulb mode ( on - off) with JJC wireless etc (Iphone / andriod/PC) on my K3 should be able to use it on K1. Back I/R you need direct line of sight can't do with paws in your pocket.
I use my wrist watch for time or If I want to sit on my hands 1-/1000 , 2/1000 , 3/1000 etc. close enough.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 11:59 AM ----------

I use my wrist watch for time or If I want to sit on my hands 1-/1000 , 2/1000 , 3/1000 etc. close enough.
Or if you want to spend the money you can get a wireless with a timer incl.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 03-04-2018 at 09:52 AM.
03-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

check if your phone has an ir port. If so there are apps that make it a very useful, always in your pocket, remote.

03-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I have used a JJC RM-E7 remote control with a K-50 for two years. Now have a K-70 and it works fine. Have used it a lot and have not needed to replace the battery yet. Amazon sells them for $10.00. Just remember the K-70 has only one sensor which is on the front of the camera. No triggering the shutter from behind.
I'm not finding the JJC RM-E7 on Amazon but did see this, JJC JM-PK1(II) Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K-70. If I understand correctly the one on Amazon now uses RF instead of IR so theoretically I would not need to be in front of the camera pointing at the IR sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/JJC-JM-PK1-Wireless-Control-Replaces/dp/B06XF1Z3BN/re...ums-20&ie=UTF8

EDIT: I did find the RM-E7 on Amazon by searching generically for "Pentax wireless remote". I think this is the one you are recommending:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Control-MagicFiber-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B0...ireless+remote
03-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Don’t buy the O-RC1. It‘s the only piece of Pentax equipment that really makes me question what the engineer developing this was thinking. The battery can’t be replaced. Well actually it can be replaced if you’re able to find the right replacement, have a soldering iron and know what you’re doing.

I have a cheap wireless remote from JJC that cost me ten bucks, works perfectly and the battery is replaceable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00INU6G16/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520185...qSL

Last edited by alpheios; 03-04-2018 at 10:51 AM.
03-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Don’t buy the O-RC1. It‘s the only piece of Pentax equipment that really makes me question what the engineer developing this was thinking. The battery can’t be replaced. Well actually it can be replaced if you’re able to find the right replacement, have a soldering iron and know what you’re doing.

I have a cheap chinese wireless remote that cost me ten bucks, works perfectly and the battery is replaceable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00INU6G16/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?tag=pentaxforums-20...qSL
Good info, thanks.
03-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have this wired remote (cable switch) that I have used with my K-3II and K-5IIs. It did sometimes fail to fire my shutter, but after I filed the base of the plug which goes into the camera down with a nail file to enable it to fit further in, it has been firing almost every time. If you buy similar products, the ones with the straight plug as opposed to the right angle ones can sometimes have a better fit.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
03-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those cheap wireless ones work really well. I just reach under the K-50 when I'm behind it and it works fine. I bought a couple of spares on ebay for $3.54 each and keep one in each camera bag and tripod bag, I have three of those and one or two wireless F remotes, nothing worse than getting ready to shoot with a tripod and find you didn't bring a remote.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote

I have a cheap wireless remote from JJC that cost me ten bucks, works perfectly and the battery is replaceable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00INU6G16/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?tag=pentaxforums-20...qSL
Pentax also claims that you cannot change the battery in the wireless remote-F, but it is actually easy and a takes a standard battery also.
03-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

This is an example of a straight plug item, but it requires batteries, whereas mine derives its power from the camera (no batteries in switch).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GS8BTRG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?tag=pentaxforums-20...KxL
03-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
I'm not finding the JJC RM-E7 on Amazon but did see this, JJC JM-PK1(II) Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K-70. If I understand correctly the one on Amazon now uses RF instead of IR so theoretically I would not need to be in front of the camera pointing at the IR sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/JJC-JM-PK1-Wireless-Control-Replaces/dp/B06XF1Z3BN/re...ums-20&ie=UTF8

EDIT: I did find the RM-E7 on Amazon by searching generically for "Pentax wireless remote". I think this is the one you are recommending:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Control-MagicFiber-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B0...ireless+remote
Yes that's the one I have and it's worked fine for two years. But not saying there are not better ones out there. Just have not needed to look for a better one.
03-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #15

Some on rigged up a small white index card so they could bounce the IR signal to the front. I just point my AV remotes at the wall opposite to control my Home Theater stuff.