Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
I guess free standing Lightroom is not existent in iOS environment, it does stay on your iPad but doesn’t do any editing on RAW or DNG files. And that is why I am tilting towards Affinity, however I am very much used to the ease and interface of LR. May be I would go for both eventually. Meanwhile I found another stand alone app almost free with some minor in-app purchases, that is RAW Power. It does handle K-70 RAW and DNG files. However very unfriendly to users as it reads files only from Apple’s cameraroll, but good thing is it does retain original file till it is saved or transferred to another location.

Atindra
Isn't this free standing Lightroom 6? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W5W7TIW/ref=twister_B00WFHYI4U?tag=pentaxforums...ing=UTF8&psc=1

03-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Isn't this free standing Lightroom 6?
The standalone version works on Macs with OSX, but not iPads with iOS.

To my way of thinking, a desktop computer with a large monitor and more precise user input devices is much better for post processing, but the OP must have their own reasons for using an iPad instead.
03-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess one gets what one pays for. I found the RAW converter for Affinity Photo to be inferior to ACR or Lightroom...
This reads a little harsh. If one finds it meets their needs for RAW processing, then I guess Affinity Photo meets their needs. As noted above, there are several open source RAW processors that are both free and very capable as potential Lightroom replacement.

Steve
03-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This reads a little harsh. If one finds it meets their needs for RAW processing, then I guess Affinity Photo meets their needs. As noted above, there are several open source RAW processors that are both free and very capable as potential Lightroom replacement.
Steve
Agreed. The problem is for anyone that has used a superior processor and got to use its features, interface, and speed. Do I use all or even most of the capability of LR or PS? No. But then when I use anything less, I feel disabled without, what may amount to be, one tool or function.

With that said, I could see issues with LR on a tablet where an app designed for a tablet could make more sense. And then that depends on the configuration and power of the tablet and the upper end iPad Pro and Surface Book 2 with their detachable touch screens are redefining tablet power and usage.

03-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Do I use all or even most of the capability of LR or PS? No. But then when I use anything less, I feel disabled without, what may amount to be, one tool or function.
I'm a long-time LR user, but by most measures, not quite a power user. That being said, it is as I have started exploring beyond the basic "import, make it look nice, export" flow that I have come to appreciate the true genius of many features and the centrality of the image management piece and the catalog approach. (Thank you, Martin Evening for your insightful LR book.) (Hint: use tags...lots of tags, name your virtual copies, use collections of virtual copies)

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
With that said, I could see issues with LR on a tablet where an app designed for a tablet could make more sense.
Agree enthusiastically. I don't even run LR on my business-grade laptop due to inadequate screen real estate and sketchy monitor quality.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-10-2018 at 05:11 PM.
03-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
I use Rawtherapee to develop Pentax K-30 .dng files. It's free and very good.

Last edited by xabolcs; 03-23-2018 at 04:31 AM.