Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Colors and a Question

Hi all,
Just bought a K-70 about a week ago. Getting familiarise with it. It is a great experience so far. In my university a students’ annual celebrations were held and had a chance to shoot variety of shots some of them I will be sharing now and then. The below one is an exhibit of Pentax colors, so lively. Shot with 18-135mm. I also needed a suggestion for photo editing. I am using iPad Pro 10.5 as my main photo editing tool. I needed an advise on choice of either Adobe LR or Affinity Photo. I had tried LR on my iPad and was very happy with its interface and operation. However Adobe forces to go for creative suit subscription on the other hand Affinity is a stand-alone app and one time charges are there compared to CC’s monthly subscription charges. I would like to know about Affinity photo’s capabilities to handle RAW files and overall interface for photo editing. If experienced users have any other app of choice for this purpose, can also suggest. I have used Snapseed while it is good for basic things, it’s interfac is not that intuitive.

03-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey, you can buy Lightroom 6 outright without a subscription. However, then you don't get any of the fancy upgrades.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Adobe Checkout
03-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax Colors and a Question

Hi all,
Just bought a K-70 about a week ago. Getting familiarise with it. It is a great experience so far. In my university a students’ annual celebrations were held and had a chance to shoot variety of shots some of them I will be sharing now and then. The below one is an exhibit of Pentax colors, so lively. Shot with 18-135mm. I also needed a suggestion for photo editing. I am using iPad Pro 10.5 as my main photo editing tool. I needed an advise on choice of either Adobe LR or Affinity Photo. I had tried LR on my iPad and was very happy with its interface and operation. However Adobe forces to go for creative suit subscription on the other hand Affinity is a stand-alone app and one time charges are there compared to CC’s monthly subscription charges. I would like to know about Affinity photo’s capabilities to handle RAW files and overall interface for photo editing. If experienced users have any other app of choice for this purpose, can also suggest. I have used Snapseed while it is good for basic things, it’s interfac is not that intuitive.
Attached Images

03-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above, Adobe reversed itself and is offering LR 6 at full price through their online store.

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
I would like to know about Affinity photo’s capabilities to handle RAW files and overall interface for photo editing.
There is a recent thread on the topic...
Affinity. - PentaxForums.com
I own both LR and Affinity Photo. I don't use Affinity Photo for RAW conversion (not up to snuff IMHO), though I am very pleased with its capabilities as a raster image editor as a passthrough using Lightroom's "edit-in" feature.

Steve

03-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You get what you pay for, as you should know with probably why you chose an iPad Pro 10.5".

LR is the industry standard because there really isn't a comparable competitor. However, Affinity Photo is considered one of the best photo editing mobile apps and for a fraction of the cost of either LR 6 or a couple months subscription for LR CC, it's a bargain.
03-09-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Consider RawTherapee and Darktable also. Both are free and capable tools. No licencing headache so you can install them on as machines as you want. They have small footprint, easy to install and do not take up much disk space. If you decide go with these, definitely read the help docs. You will save time in long run. They run on Win7 and Linux. Not sure about iPad.
03-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #7

Actually, I don't think there is a photo program now that is "a stand-alone app and one time charge" - not if you want updates. Landscape Pro was issued with release 1.0 and next came 2.0 which you had to buy again, granted at a discount for 1.0 users. No updates in between. Portrait Pro - same thing. Luminar and Aurora 2017 to 2018 - same. Affinity, I don't know. But it seems the one time charge is a thing of the past, replaced with an annual upgrade fee. Hey, wait a minute, isn't that like a subscription?

03-09-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Affinity Photo is considered one of the best photo editing mobile apps and for a fraction of the cost of either LR 6 or a couple months subscription for LR CC, it's a bargain.
I guess one gets what one pays for. I found the RAW converter for Affinity Photo to be inferior to ACR or Lightroom...sort of like an afterthought addition to the excellent raster editor, though with a few bells and whistles that frankly don't make sense (%-ile ranks for histogram positions?). I can make it work, but the approach to history, curves, and color manipulation within the Develop Persona are clunky at best and considering the lack of provision for multiple interpretations (LR virtual copies), the 3x additional cost of LR is well worth the expense.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Affinity, I don't know.
Free patches and minor (two dot) upgrades, repurchase for n.x (one dot) upgrades. I believe that On1 has a similar path.

Steve
03-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Affinity, I don't know. But it seems the one time charge is a thing of the past, replaced with an annual upgrade fee. Hey, wait a minute, isn't that like a subscription?
Affinity have said they will be doing free upgrades for two years from its release then they will release a 'new' version. as this wont stop you using the original for as long as you want it can't be called a subscription.

I am like Steve and use both - LR is the best for Raw especially if you take a lot of images and Affinity is a good editor once you get the hang of it (plenty of online tutorials)
03-09-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think processing software is a long-term relationship. It's not for marriage at first sight. Date a few for a while before making a decision. Most of them have trial options.
03-09-2018, 04:24 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Date a few for a while before making a decision. Most of them have trial options.
Comparing post-processing software to my marriage doesn't work for me. The few I dated all uninstalled themselves from my life as soon as I mentioned wanting to try someone else. Now I'm in a funk thinking about old relationships instead of photography. You are an evil person.
03-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Comparing post-processing software to my marriage doesn't work for me. The few I dated all uninstalled themselves from my life as soon as I mentioned wanting to try someone else. Now I'm in a funk thinking about old relationships instead of photography. You are an evil person.
Sorry for the grief.

Sounds like you are reprocessing some old images in your head. That software is particularly unreliable. Old images always seem more vibrant, you forget about the unappealing features in the background and you think things were clearer than they were. Unfortunately, it's not easy to uninstall or upgrade. ;-)
03-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So it seems that the general consensus for any RAW shooter the combination of LR and Affinity is better option. With the K-70 purchase I got a pamphlet showing some special discount of 20% with LR subscription. I am thinking to avail that, however I dont find any discount offer when I go to the given link, I dont see any discount and in Indian rupees the plan charges are same as non-discounted one. Is there any coupon code or something to avail it?

Regards,

Atindra
03-10-2018, 03:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would probably just get free standing lightroom and let it go at that. It has plenty of capability to cover most things except really extensive cloning. It won't have lens modules for lenses that haven't been released yet, but it does for all of the ones in the current catalog. I use it for about 98 percent of my editing (along with Google's Nik Effects, which is free).
03-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would probably just get free standing lightroom and let it go at that. It has plenty of capability to cover most things except really extensive cloning. It won't have lens modules for lenses that haven't been released yet, but it does for all of the ones in the current catalog. I use it for about 98 percent of my editing (along with Google's Nik Effects, which is free).
I guess free standing Lightroom is not existent in iOS environment, it does stay on your iPad but doesn’t do any editing on RAW or DNG files. And that is why I am tilting towards Affinity, however I am very much used to the ease and interface of LR. May be I would go for both eventually. Meanwhile I found another stand alone app almost free with some minor in-app purchases, that is RAW Power. It does handle K-70 RAW and DNG files. However very unfriendly to users as it reads files only from Apple’s cameraroll, but good thing is it does retain original file till it is saved or transferred to another location.

Atindra