Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just stupidly shot 100 photos with no card in my k70.

Is there a setting to disable the shutter or make an alarm sound or a huge warning sign " HEY PUT A CARD IN !" in the event I forget to put a memory card in the camera?
If there was any warning it was so small I did not notice.

04-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I always leave the door open if there’s no card in.

I also do a check for the number of shots available. It’s got a little icon to say the card is missing.
04-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately not. There is a warning icon on the LCD though.

The solution I have come up with is to always chimp the first shot in any shooting session. And have spare cards in all of my camera bags. I also do what Keith just suggested.

Another strategy is to import images to your computer with a USB cable, and never remove the card.

Then there's always the option of buying a camera with two card slots
04-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Another strategy is to import images to your computer with a USB cable, and never remove the card.
That happened to me at work last week. We have a Ks-2 at work and another guy forgot to put the card back after uploading. At least I drove the half mile to where I tried to take a couple photos instead of walking. At home, that's what I do and format after every upload, but mostly to have less wear and tear on the card & slot.

04-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

as noted previously:

or, as an alternative, use the USB cable that came with the camera body and never take the SD cards out - offload the image files via the cable...

card's never out of the camera...

(late night reading didn't catch all the above responses)

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 04-14-2018 at 09:06 PM.
04-14-2018, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I once shot dozens of fantastic shots of eagles with my Nikon F2a and a borrowed 300mm ED IF lens... only to realize there was no film in the camera.
04-14-2018, 08:55 PM - 2 Likes   #7

That's odd. My K10D says "No card in camera" on the LCD screen when I turn it on without a card in the slot and the door closed. It won't even turn on with the card door open.

04-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or, as an alternative, use the USB cable that came with the camera body and never take the SD cards out - offload the image files via the cable...

card's never out of the camera...
As already mentioned in the two preceding posts
04-14-2018, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As already mentioned in the two preceding posts

sorry - only saw the one, as the other's on ignore.... appreciate the catch, though...

thanks!
04-14-2018, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That's odd. My K10D says "No card in camera" on the LCD screen when I turn it on without a card in the slot and the door closed. It won't even turn on with the card door open.
All my Pentax digital cameras have that feature. In fact, that message pops up every time the shutter fires on mine. I once stopped my car, got my K10D out, pointed it down a railroad grade with the early morning sun glinting off the shiny rails - and saw The ‘No Card’ Message. Quick - hurried back to the car, reached in the pocket where the card wallet should be and - nothing. It was on my desk where I put it down after downloading files when I got home three days later. I’ve done the open card door trick since 2006.

Many of my AF film cameras have a little window to see what film is in the chamber - or if there isn’t any A gentle test with the rewind crank helps to know whether something is in there.

AFA taking cards out, I take them out and stick them in the slot on my computer. I leave the card door open. It’s no more wear than opening the rubber USB cover and plugging in the cable (those MicroUSB connectors are hard to align), then plugging the other end in my computer. I figure if I actually wear out a card slot I’ll pay to have Precision fix it.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-14-2018 at 09:18 PM.
04-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #11

Have been there, now I have two cards and swap them so is one there every time I close the SD door.
04-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could have been worse: imagine shooting an entire wedding without a card in the camera. Eeeks.

Might be an idea to check how many photos remaining on the card before shooting? That's what I do with my K-7.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 04-15-2018 at 08:16 AM.
04-15-2018, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to feel better, just start a thread called 'My Most Stupid Photography Mistake' and watch the replies flood in
04-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least, you had the guts to present your "experience" here !
04-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It's a mystery to me how you could do that. After every shot it is very clear on the rear screen, "No card in the camera". Did you have the articulated screen of the K-70 closed or Instant Review turned off?