Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Histogram other than live view and photo review

K70

Is there any way to see the histogram while shooting, other than using live view?

Call me blind if it is in the manual and I could not find it!

04-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There should be the ability to turn this on as a setting under instant review.
menu > record 5 > Instant Review > Histogram Display

Steve
04-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
K70

Is there any way to see the histogram while shooting, other than using live view?

Call me blind if it is in the manual and I could not find it!
No. The viewfinder on a DSLR is optical rather than electronic. There are some simple electronic indicators within it, but a histogram would require an electronic display - hence an electronic viewfinder, as found on mirrorless cameras.
04-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It doesn't come on the Status screen while shooting using the Optical viewfinder, but as Steve said it can be set to display on the Review screen after taking the shot. So the workflow is to take a test shot firstly, look at the image on the Review screen and check the histogram, make a compensation adjustment then reshoot.

04-16-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No. The viewfinder on a DSLR is optical rather than electronic. There are some simple electronic indicators within it, but a histogram would require an electronic display - hence an electronic viewfinder, as found on mirrorless cameras.
Not an option with an Optical Viewfinder. ...a welcome sacrifice as I love the pentaprism finder on the K70.

Thank you. I will look again in the menu for the review setting.
04-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
Not an option with an Optical Viewfinder. ...a welcome sacrifice as I love the pentaprism finder on the K70.

Thank you. I will look again in the menu for the review setting.
I like EVFs for the information (including histogram) that can be displayed and magnification for manual focusing, but I prefer OVFs in most other ways. I find an optical view to be more... enjoyable
04-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It seems like should be possible to have a hybrid viewfinder, which provides optical viewing of the scene through the camera, but has an electronic overlay that can provide information like a histogram.

04-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It seems like should be possible to have a hybrid viewfinder, which provides optical viewing of the scene through the camera, but has an electronic overlay that can provide information like a histogram.
Yes, we've discussed this before in other threads. It's my hope that this is one of the things in development for future cameras...
05-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #9

That would require not only overlaying the histogram on the viewfinder, but also finding some way of measuring the light for the histogram in the first place while still allowing enough of it to reach the viewfinder. It may not be completely impossible but it does sound challenging. You would perhaps need a mirror that is only partially opaque (like, let 25% of the light through and bump the histogram two stops to make up for it), or something like that.