Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Starstream and interval shooting query

I'm a happy new owner of a Pentax K70, and beginning to learn a few of it's bells and whistles. One question: when using the Starstream function, and it asks the interval, can the interval be the same as the exposure, or do I have to give it a few seconds to recover? Thanks
Ted

04-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

I'm confident someone here will answer you, shortly.
04-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsoncanedy Quote
I'm a happy new owner of a Pentax K70, and beginning to learn a few of it's bells and whistles. One question: when using the Starstream function, and it asks the interval, can the interval be the same as the exposure, or do I have to give it a few seconds to recover? Thanks
Ted
Normally the interval is the exposure + the gap, i.e. 32s if your exposure is 30s.

Also, some newer bodies have a setting that lets you change this behavior (so you can just specify the interval in between shots); I'm not sure if the K-70 does but I think it might.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
starstream

Forgive me for being obtuse, but if I set the shutter speed for 25s, and the interval for 25s, will that mean that there will be 25s before the shutter opens again? or does that mean that it will close and open again immediately? What I am trying to understand is how to get the exposure right without missing the motion. Thanks

05-01-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsoncanedy Quote
Forgive me for being obtuse, but if I set the shutter speed for 25s, and the interval for 25s, will that mean that there will be 25s before the shutter opens again? or does that mean that it will close and open again immediately? What I am trying to understand is how to get the exposure right without missing the motion. Thanks
By default this would mean that the shutter would open again immediately, but due to processing lag you'd want to set the interval a little bit higher, say 27s, to get the expected number of total frames.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
By default this would mean that the shutter would open again immediately, but due to processing lag you'd want to set the interval a little bit higher, say 27s, to get the expected number of total frames.
Thank you Adam