Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2018, 06:32 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yvon Bourque's K-70 Book. Is it worth it? Just my opinion.

Yvon Bourque's book, PENTAX K-70, Everything you need to know, , , , and then some (Copyright 2016 Yvon Bourque), might well be worth the cost if for no other reason it has a big advantage in readability over the Pentax Operating Manual. Ricoh/Pentax is not unique in these modern times in not providing an instruction book in a format for human frailties. (I cannot imagine the fun of assembling a "kit"camera with instructions from the the same sources). Bourque, fills a need for a "newbie" using much of the format/text of the Manual but he tweaks, expands, and explains as he moves through the menus and other tools that inhabit the camera. There are "links" that will take you to other places in the text and web sites for more information. It is much more comfortable introduction than the "just the facts" Manual that has you flipping back and forth through the pages.

The author assumes some very basic knowledge of photography, that you get an image of what you point at, if you push that button. In that respect, if you are experienced enough to take the K-70 out of the box and set brackets, play with the AF and the EV, AF points, WB adjustments, customizing buttons, and within fifteen minutes are snapping wonderful photos, then this book probably is not for you. If the Operating Manual makes perfect sense then you still might find some things in the book on technique or other interest. If you are a bit overwhelmed by the features of the K-70 after you have used, or tried to use the Manual, than you should find this investment worthwhile.

Overall, this is a "getting your feet wet" instruction book. The author highly recommends shooting RAW but you will have to look elsewhere to understand computer editing programs. There is, what to me was, "filler." I found the history of the Pentax cameras something I could do without. Large photos of lenses compatible with the K-70 were of little use yet, the discussion of compatibility across the whole range of old and new Pentax lenses was important. There is a chapter of movie/video. I am not remotely qualified to evaluate that aspect.

This is a "beginner's" book FOR the K-70. I have been playing with cameras for decades but just entered the world of DSLR. I found, PENTAX K-70, Everything you need to know, , , , and then some, was a great help and well worth the cost even on top of buying the K-70, a 55-300 PLM, and all those "little" things that go along with my kit.

05-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The books are just a bonus if you become a loyal site supporter! And if you do not need them personally, I believe that you may gift them to another member. I don't think you can have too much information about a complex system if you want good results later. (Practice still matters of course!)
05-13-2018, 09:32 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

The manuals are structured very differently and are designed to detail each feature of the equipment in order, and grouped as they appear on the actual camera .... eg each aspect of the Status Screen, the Menus, the Modes, Custom setting etc. But we rarely work with a camera in practice by going through things in sequence like this .... in practice we pre-set and decide in advance, and have a small range of specific aspects that we take control of and adjust depending on the photographic situation. The 'WHY' becomes just as important as the 'WHEN' and the 'HOW'. These aspects are not dealt with by manuals, so these sorts of book are great to relate the practical real world application to the knowledge and understanding of the camera.

I have the Magic Lantern guidebook to the K7 which I devoured many times over when I first got my camera, and in many ways that sort of format inspired my own writing of the Guides to the Pentax Flash System.

I think your title for this thread is very poorly expressed .... it conveys a negative impression. Quite clearly there is no question that the eBook offers excellent value for money.

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-13-2018 at 12:15 PM.
05-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the K-50 and K-3 books for my Dad who found these far easier to use than the manuals.

05-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manuals are references. They're product documentation.

Yvon's books are aimed at owners who are not experienced in photography even after a number of years, and that's a lot of people, to be honest.

I have four, and really enjoy them.

Last edited by clackers; 05-13-2018 at 08:11 PM.
05-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The manuals are structured very differently and are designed to detail each feature of the equipment in order, and grouped as they appear on the actual camera .... eg each aspect of the Status Screen, the Menus, the Modes, Custom setting etc. But we rarely work with a camera in practice by going through things in sequence like this .... in practice we pre-set and decide in advance, and have a small range of specific aspects that we take control of and adjust depending on the photographic situation. The 'WHY' becomes just as important as the 'WHEN' and the 'HOW'. These aspects are not dealt with by manuals, so these sorts of book are great to relate the practical real world application to the knowledge and understanding of the camera.

I have the Magic Lantern guidebook to the K7 which I devoured many times over when I first got my camera, and in many ways that sort of format inspired my own writing of the Guides to the Pentax Flash System.

I think your title for this thread is very poorly expressed .... it conveys a negative impression. Quite clearly there is no question that the eBook offers excellent value for money.
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I tried to answer a question that I had when I bought the book. Note the title has a question mark. A couple of these responses seem to read a heck of lot of negative into the review that I do not think is there and I tried to be objective and provide a fair view of the contents. I offered a review as a service, it is is not marketing copy.
06-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Love this book!

07-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Yvon Bourque's book, PENTAX K-70, Everything you need to know, , , , and then some (Copyright 2016 Yvon Bourque), might well be worth the cost if for no other reason it has a big advantage in readability over the Pentax Operating Manual. Ricoh/Pentax is not unique in these modern times in not providing an instruction book in a format for human frailties. (I cannot imagine the fun of assembling a "kit"camera with instructions from the the same sources). Bourque, fills a need for a "newbie" using much of the format/text of the Manual but he tweaks, expands, and explains as he moves through the menus and other tools that inhabit the camera. There are "links" that will take you to other places in the text and web sites for more information. It is much more comfortable introduction than the "just the facts" Manual that has you flipping back and forth through the pages.

The author assumes some very basic knowledge of photography, that you get an image of what you point at, if you push that button. In that respect, if you are experienced enough to take the K-70 out of the box and set brackets, play with the AF and the EV, AF points, WB adjustments, customizing buttons, and within fifteen minutes are snapping wonderful photos, then this book probably is not for you. If the Operating Manual makes perfect sense then you still might find some things in the book on technique or other interest. If you are a bit overwhelmed by the features of the K-70 after you have used, or tried to use the Manual, than you should find this investment worthwhile.

Overall, this is a "getting your feet wet" instruction book. The author highly recommends shooting RAW but you will have to look elsewhere to understand computer editing programs. There is, what to me was, "filler." I found the history of the Pentax cameras something I could do without. Large photos of lenses compatible with the K-70 were of little use yet, the discussion of compatibility across the whole range of old and new Pentax lenses was important. There is a chapter of movie/video. I am not remotely qualified to evaluate that aspect.

This is a "beginner's" book FOR the K-70. I have been playing with cameras for decades but just entered the world of DSLR. I found, PENTAX K-70, Everything you need to know, , , , and then some, was a great help and well worth the cost even on top of buying the K-70, a 55-300 PLM, and all those "little" things that go along with my kit.
Do you have a link to the ebook? I found a sampler and it looked good.

Thanks in advance.
07-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You looking for free?

QuoteOriginally posted by hudster1969 Quote
Do you have a link to the ebook? I found a sampler and it looked good.

Thanks in advance.
If you are looking for a website, no. The book is available through this forum. If you are a beginner it will bring you up to speed relatively fast.
08-10-2018, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yvon Bourque's ebooks are definitely worth every penny

I started using Kodak instamatic cameras when I was in high school (126 then 110). After 10 years I switched to 35mm film which was more than 30 years ago. I did not have anyone to mentor me in how to use my Ricoh Kr30Sp SLR, but I was impressed with the quality of the prints I was making over the old Kodaks. Very slow learning curve. In 2006 I learned about the K100D and that I could use my old film lenses with it and take advantage of the anti-shake feature in the body with the old lenses. I had only three, Sigma 35-70 kit lens that came with the Ricoh film body, Sigma f/3.5 70-210 and a Sigma 28mm macro lens. So by the time I got the K100D you'd think I had quite a bit of experience. NOT. I didn't know what many photography terms mean and felt intimidated trying to talk to someone with a lot of experience. It wasn't until I went from the K100D to the K-500 and saw the tremendous leap in technology that accompanied that change. Then when the aperture block failure hit my K-500 (do what?!?, what the heck is that?!?) I bought my K-70 in July 2016 and could not believe what it is capable of. I am still learning today things that this camera will do that blow me away. When I was reading about the K-70 before I bought it I had no idea what many of those fancy features were that were being discussed. In the fall of 2017 I got the ebook. I am still discovering new things about the camera. The ebook is very easy to read and does an excellent job of explaining how to use the features of this camera. I have not read it cover to cover, but use more as a reference when I stumble on something I need to know. This book is awesome and has helped me through many issues and boosted my understanding of how to use my camera. This past spring I got an incredible deal on a KS-2 and wouldn't you know it? Five days after it arrived I am now the proud owner of that book as well. I still use my K-500 now after getting it repaired - with an M42 adapter and many prime M42 lenses. If I had followed things more here I would have known that if I had made that switch before getting the K-500 repaired, I could have avoided that expense.
08-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote

Where can I find this book? I clicked what appeared to be a link on your post but goes nowhere.
08-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
this should take you to a link to order

Pentax K-70 eBook Now Available - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com