Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #1

K-70 Drive Mode Button

Is there a way to deactivate the rear 'drive mode' button, and only access this feature through the menu?

I ask this as I am finding I am constantly unintentionally changing the drive mode setting (changing from single shot to multi, or to timer) be cause of unknowingly pressing it with the base of my thumb. I nearly always shoot single shot and see no need to quickly access the drive features. I am finding I am missing shots, or irritating family members because my K70 fails the moment only to find I have accidentally set it to timer or some other incorrect drive setting.

Solutions...other than a surgical procedure for my right hand?

05-14-2018, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think surgery is the answer but changing your grip may make a huge difference. I've just spent several minutes with my K-70 trying to duplicate your issue and cannot activate the problem button with my usual grip, I have to contort my hand quite significantly before the drive button (right side of the 4-way rocker) becomes an issue.

When I hold my camera (any camera come to that) I carry 90% of the weight in my left hand with the fingers cradling the lens body and the camera base plate sitting against my palm. The three smaller fingers of my right hand go on the grip and carry the remaining 10% of the weight. That leaves my fore finger and thumb completely free and carrying no weight at all. My fore finger rests lightly on the shutter button but can also access the power switch and front e-dial, my thumb rests against the upper part of the rubber thumb rest on the rear of the camera and I can easily access the rear e-dial and the AF/AEL button which I have customized as the only focus button.

Using the above grip my thumb naturally arches away from the drive mode button and the bottom right rear corner of the camera body presses against the base of my thumb.

While I had the manuals open I also checked to see if the 4-way buttons could be customized but I could not see a way of changing those settings.
05-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
Is there a way to deactivate the rear 'drive mode' button, and only access this feature through the menu?

I ask this as I am finding I am constantly unintentionally changing the drive mode setting (changing from single shot to multi, or to timer) be cause of unknowingly pressing it with the base of my thumb. I nearly always shoot single shot and see no need to quickly access the drive features. I am finding I am missing shots, or irritating family members because my K70 fails the moment only to find I have accidentally set it to timer or some other incorrect drive setting.

If you use the "Select" AF point mode (even if you just want to stick to the center AF point) and set C18 to Type 2, the 4-way pad will control the AF points rather than the drive mode, so this sort of accomplishes what you want.

On the K-1 and KP, due to the presence of a AF point selection button, the corresponding custom function will in fact fully lock the 4-way pad, exactly as you want it, when in spot AF. But unfortunately this functionality isn't available in the K-70.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you use the "Select" AF point mode (even if you just want to stick to the center AF point) and set C18 to Type 2, the 4-way pad will control the AF points rather than the drive mode, so this sort of accomplishes what you want.
Thanks for pointing that out Adam, I must have missed that bit of info in the manuals somehow.

The OP may find that he is constantly changing AF point settings rather than drive mode if he changes the settings as suggested as I suspect the issue is his grip rather than the button function.

05-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a YouTube vid from England where the fellow lends his K-70 to a professional Nikon user to shoot a wedding. The woman likes the camera a lot but does have a similar problem of hitting a control by accident. I have not had this problem with the K-70 but did have a problem with my Canon S3, Ain't photography fun?
05-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
I don't think it is so much contact while shooting, but more so when I am bringing the camera up from it's hanging position where I have more of a gross grip with my right hand.

I may look at the focus point option suggested. This may be equally frustrating though due to inadvertent change of this feature.
05-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote

I had the exact same problem when I first got my K70. I used a K-7 from 2009 to 2015, and then the K50 from 2015 through last November (I still use the K50, not so much the K-7).
With the K70, my palm would hit the 4 way controller and I'd find myself with a different drive mode, it seemed to happen 20 times a day. It was pretty annoying, but to be honest the more I used the camera the less it happened, as I got used to not resting my palm there, to the point that I hardly even notice it now. Only every once in a while now I'll start shooting and find I'm in burst mode. And as a back button focus guy, I also had lots of problems with the location of the AF/AE button, but after time I got used to that too (and now my thumb naturally goes from the thumbrest to the button, just as if I'd been using it all my life.)

05-18-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amg2000 Quote
I had the exact same problem when I first got my K70. I used a K-7 from 2009 to 2015, and then the K50 from 2015 through last November (I still use the K50, not so much the K-7).
With the K70, my palm would hit the 4 way controller and I'd find myself with a different drive mode, it seemed to happen 20 times a day. It was pretty annoying, but to be honest the more I used the camera the less it happened, as I got used to not resting my palm there, to the point that I hardly even notice it now. Only every once in a while now I'll start shooting and find I'm in burst mode. And as a back button focus guy, I also had lots of problems with the location of the AF/AE button, but after time I got used to that too (and now my thumb naturally goes from the thumbrest to the button, just as if I'd been using it all my life.)
Thank you. I believe you are correct. It has to be as I really like the camera and lenses.
06-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Just shot frames with a stupid ISO setting because of this