Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K70 to Canon FD Bellows

I have been given a really excellent Canon FD mount bellows, there are any amount of adapters for fitting the lens to the bellows, I have one that works fine but nothing as far as I can see for fitting a camera to the bellows.

It seems a pity to me to pass up such a fine piece of engineering, anybody got any suggestions how one could do it, preferably that don't require metal working skills.

I have been toying with the idea of fitting (screwing/superglueing) a flanged M42 to PK adapter to the bellows but am not sure if it would work and I don't want to make a hash of the bellows.

06-12-2018, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #2

You could try deglassing a cheapo Chinese FD->PK adapter.
06-12-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
This is what I'd suggest. It will add a short extension tube to the bellows which is inconsequential typically. I use an m42 bellows this way (m42 extension tube, then bellows) for simplicity to mount and unmount from my k-3.
06-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
This is probably the easiest option.

06-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody I've been looking at them and the mount end on the bellows and it just might work. So OK lads I'll throw the handle after the hatchet and get one.

If it doesn't I'll just have to buy the whole range of Canon FD lenses to use on the K70, waste not, want not as they say

Last edited by PenPusher; 06-12-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Afterthought:
06-12-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Thanks everybody I've been looking at them and the mount end on the bellows and it just might work. So OK lads I'll throw the handle after the hatchet and get one.

If it doesn't I'll just have to buy the whole range of Canon FD lenses to use on the K70, waste not, want not as they say
Nah, all you need is the FD mount adaptall mount, and the 90mm adaptall macro lens
06-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #7

The glass is removable on FotodioxPro FD to K-mount adapter. You will get some vignetting depending on the focal length of the lens and amount of extension you have set on the bellows.

FD Lens Adapter Instruction Manual : Fotodiox Inc. USA

The Fotodiox adapter also lets you control the aperture manually if you were to mount an FD/FL lens directly to the adapter.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-12-2018 at 07:05 AM.
06-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The glass is removable on FotodioxPro FD to K-mount adapter. You will get some vignetting depending on the focal length of the lens and amount of extension you have set on the bellows.

FD Lens Adapter Instruction Manual : Fotodiox Inc. USA

The Fotodiox adapter also lets you control the aperture manually if you were to mount an FD/FL lens directly to the adapter.
Thank you for that information, of course I'd jumped the gun and ordered a cheap oh from China but I've read the Fotodiox literature and learnt that there are different FD mounts which I did not know.
06-13-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Thank you for that information, of course I'd jumped the gun and ordered a cheap oh from China but I've read the Fotodiox literature and learnt that there are different FD mounts which I did not know.
Not really. There are two major variants of the lens side mount, but they both fit on the same cameras. The original FD mount has the ring which locks the lens on to the camera. The FDn variant lenses go on the mount like a typical bayonet lens, with a button on the lens to unmount.
06-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FD and FDn are the same "mount" on the camera. The lens side is as said above.
07-05-2018, 03:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My PK-FD genuine Chinese adapter, €24.26 including postage, arrived this morning and it works, the trick is to mount it onto the camera first then onto the FD mount and twist the breech lock mechanism on the bellows, it simply won't work if you try putting it on the bellows first. The Open > Lock sign on the mount refers to locking it on the camera body and not to the bellows as I first thought, mechanics has never been my strongpoint. It seems to be quite well made. Now to see how well it works with my 135mm F3.5 Canon FD lens, €20 on eBay, before I unscrew the mounts "high quality" glass for use on the bellows.