Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Pentax f 100 - 300mm lens

Can anyone tell me if the above lens will fit my Pentax K 70? I have bought a couple of lenses recently that are supposed to fit K Mount but having got them they don't or maybe I should say I cannot get them to work! they fit the camera right enough but the cmera seems to jam and I can do nothing with them.

I have a pristine Hanimex 75 - 300mm f / 5.6 that even has PK stamped on the end, for example, but I might as well try taking pics with a toilet roll tube. I don't like to blame the tools as it's more likely to be something I am not doing rather than the bits.

Can anyone offer me some sage advice that might help me get the most out of the Pentax f 100 - 300mm lens and the Hanimex lens?

thanks

Billy

08-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally, any Pentax-branded lens will always work with a newer camera. This is true of the F 100-300mm; compatibility details are found here:

Pentax K-70 and SMC Pentax-F 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

If you have the F lens, I wouldn't worry about the Hanimar (though this is a lens that we don't currently appear to have in the database - if you'd like to add it, you can do so here). It's possible that it's missing an adapter or something like that.

Also, if you ever find the AF speed to be too slow for your needs, the new DA 55-300mm PLM is exceptional in that regard, and will put the F to shame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This lens? SMC Pentax-F 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It should work fine with your K-70 - when everything is set properly.

Have you read the manual? This can be somewhat daunting, but also very useful! Page 121 tells you what and how lenses are compatible with the K-70. If you have the lens reviewed above, do you have the aperture ring set in the A position? That is probably the best place to start until you get more familiar with your camera.

Is your camera set for autofocus or not? That can effect whether the shutter will fire. Look at p.61 in the manual. Are you getting a focus "beep"? (page 46)

What camera mode are you using: Auto, P, Sv, Tv or something else? Auto with the lens set to A and making sure the camera is set for autofocus should get you some pictures.

Do you have a data card in the camera? Nothing happens without that!!
08-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

I have the same F 100-300, and it works just fine on my K-3, my son's K-30, and my newly arrived K-5 body. I'm sure it should work on your K-70. My guess is the aperture ring isn't on A, as mentioned above. If you prefer to use manual aperture control, be sure the "Use Aperture Ring" box is checked in your menu, as well.

Beyond that, all the details you can provide would be helpful. What you mean by it not working would be helpful, also, as it could mean the pics are dark, or the shutter won't fire, or the lens won't focus, or any number of things. More info is always better.

08-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As the others suggested, check if the aperture ring is on the A position for the F100-300mm lens.
I am guessing the Hanimex lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, in that case you have to enable the camera to fire the shutter although it doesn' t recognice the aperture on the lens ("Use aperture ring")
I am sure someone can post a Link to the guide on how to use M42 and K-mount lenses without A setting (if not I will look for it as soon as I get back to my computer)

edit: The promised Link
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-m...-k-30-etc.html
You won't need this for the F 100-300mm lens (as long as you use the A setting on the aperture ring, but the guide might be handy for the Hanimex lens)

Last edited by othar; 08-27-2018 at 08:46 PM.
08-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have to WOW! folks and thanks very much for such a fast response and much appreciate your advice and guidance. I have read bits of the of the manual but there are times I'm not actually sure what I am looking for so never find it. I also have a K 50 and used the 55-300mm lens with that Adam, as well as with the K 70 (don't know about anyone else but I prefer the K 50 though this could be down mostly to my lack of knowledge and experience). Unfortunately I slipped and that lens got one heck of a wallop and has not worked well since then, not surprisingly. The links from you and Othar are very handy indeed, thanks. The lens you mention Astrodave is the one I am looking at hoping it will be a good cheap alternative to my damaged 55-300mm until I gather the cash together to replace that one. I do not yet have the 100-300mm in my hands yet Dubyam, wanted to get the kind of guidance that you have all given me so I will purchase it with confidence. I had to remove a small part from the Hanimex lens to get it to fit in comfortably but when it is in place it does not click when on the K 70, same on the K 50 and cannot use the exposure settings. It is such a beautiful piece of machinery in wonderful condition that even if I cannot make use of it I would keep it in a display cabinet. Thanks again for all your help folks, back the manual for me and see how I progress from here.
08-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

The F 100-300 will be a different animal from your 55-300, for sure. You'll likely see more purple fringing on high contrasting objects, and it will be less sharp below about F9-F11 range, in my experience. One thing I recently did was buy a long hood for it. It's just a simple metal screw-on hood for about $8 on Amazon, but it seems to have helped with objects no longer having quite the "glow" around them (sort of halo-like) with the limited shots I've tested since adding the hood. Don't mistake this, as it's not a horrible lens (I have several good shots with it) it's just a matter of figuring out it's particular character and learning to work with it. I've noticed with this new K-5 body I was given that I think some of my issues have been a mild overexposure across the board from my K-3. I've dialed it back a little on the exposure compensation, and believe that is part of the fix I needed, as well.

08-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #8

Hi Billy

Welcome to the forum.

I’ve just tried the F 100-300 on my K-70 and it works fine. Compared to using it on my K10 the focusing motor on the K-70 has quite a kick with this lens.

Regards

Will
08-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
The F 100-300 will be a different animal from your 55-300, for sure. You'll likely see more purple fringing on high contrasting objects, and it will be less sharp below about F9-F11 range, in my experience. One thing I recently did was buy a long hood for it. It's just a simple metal screw-on hood for about $8 on Amazon, but it seems to have helped with objects no longer having quite the "glow" around them (sort of halo-like) with the limited shots I've tested since adding the hood. Don't mistake this, as it's not a horrible lens (I have several good shots with it) it's just a matter of figuring out it's particular character and learning to work with it. I've noticed with this new K-5 body I was given that I think some of my issues have been a mild overexposure across the board from my K-3. I've dialed it back a little on the exposure compensation, and believe that is part of the fix I needed, as well.
Thanks for the tips Dubyam, looking forward to getting the lens and will heed you notes :-)