Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Learning Curve for K70

After having a K50 for 2-1/2 years and taking 10,000+ shots I pretty well know where most all the setting are, what they do, how get to them, how to set them, and when to use or not use them without even thinking about it much. Now, when out experimenting with a GND filter I have suffered the dreaded aperture block failure. Since I've been thinking about upgrading to a K70 for a while, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and it's on it's way. What kind of learning curve will I experience coming from a K50? I ask because in 10 days I have a long planned, week long trip to Rocky Mountain National Park and won't have a lot of time to learn a new camera. I will welcome all suggestions or advice anyone wishes to offer.

08-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
After having a K50 for 2-1/2 years and taking 10,000+ shots I pretty well know where most all the setting are, what they do, how get to them, how to set them, and when to use or not use them without even thinking about it much. Now, when out experimenting with a GND filter I have suffered the dreaded aperture block failure. Since I've been thinking about upgrading to a K70 for a while, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and it's on it's way. What kind of learning curve will I experience coming from a K50? I ask because in 10 days I have a long planned, week long trip to Rocky Mountain National Park and won't have a lot of time to learn a new camera. I will welcome all suggestions or advice anyone wishes to offer.
The K-70's interface is very similar, with the addition of a prettier UI and customization options to the control panel. You'll feel right at home

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

How far a jump is the k-70 from my current k-30?
08-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #4

For me, the big loss of going to K70 was the missing AF.C position of the AF mode selector. With K70 you must go through quick menu to switch between AF.C and AF.S. On the positive, the resolution, high ISO performance and (ironically) AF.C performance is far better than K50/K30.

08-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I too, recently purchased a K70. It is my first dslr and I love it! From what I've read, the move from Pentax body to Pentax body is pretty intuitive. I'm sure there is a bit of learning curve just to get fluid with it. I've had mine out a handful of times and I'm starting to get comfortable with it. With your previous experience I'm guessing you wont have much of an issue with navigating through Av/TAv/Manual modes. Probably the best thing I've learned is switching to a single point of focus. Good luck and enjoy!
08-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My partner used her K50 & my K70 interchangeably, they're quite similar in layout, you should be able to replicate everything you did on the K50 very easily.
There's more the K70 can do of course, but to get back to where you were with the K50 as a baseline should be very easy for you.