Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 01:08 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The DR of the K-70

Ever since I got my K-70 as a replacement for my K-5 IIs (in itself a great camera) just over a year ago, I've continuously been amazed by how much bang for the buck this Pentax body actually packs. On top of that, the fully articulated LCD has proven to be a blessing for shooting at weird angles as well as close to the ground.

What really has blown me away though, is the dynamic range of the sensor which seems to be way better than any of my previous Pentax bodies. These shots were all done yesterday, just before sundown. The sky was very bright and took up between 50% and 75% of the image area so I underexposed by half a stop. The foreground was mostly in shadow or at least not directly lit with the sun hidden behind wisps of cloud.

All were shot in raw and the processing was very simple. I used DarkTable to export the converted images as 32-bit EXR to Gimp. In Gimp I only tweaked the levels to ensure I had a full range of brightness in the histogram, then pinched the curves tool in the middle and lifted up the left half ever so slightly to bring back detail and colour in the shadows.

[Edit] Lens used was the wonderful Sigma 8-16mm which sadly is not in the market anymore. Due to its unique qualities and low distortion for such an extreme wide-angle zoom, I'll never let go of this gem. Focussing was in live view with the focussing square moved to the bottom of the LCD.

08-31-2018, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
And here's a shot which, without the articulated LCD, I would not have been able to capture. It's an exposure-merge HDR done in digiKam and processed slightly in Gimp but the key here is the awkward angle it's been shot in.

08-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Adorama and B&H still list the Sigma 8-16mm for sale. I have been debating weather to get this lens or wait for the Pentax 11-18mm. Love the range, but want WR! Amateur Photography magazine (British) claims the DR of the KP is even greater than the K70 at lower sensitivities, but who knows, and the KP is not great in my large hands, no matter which grip...
09-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Amateur Photography magazine (British) claims the DR of the KP is even greater than the K70 at lower sensitivities, but who knows, and the KP is not great in my large hands, no matter which grip...
To be honest, I have not found much in the differences in the Dynamic Range between the K-70, K-3 and K-3II to be honest. I don't have the KP by the way.
There are very subtle differences, but not to an extent to discount one camera over another. They all share the same Sony 24MP sensor, and all I can think of is the algorithms to suit each camera make the subtle changes in the ability to recreate the DR at various ISO's.

Having said that, I did notice a larger difference in the DR between my old K-5 and K-5IIs. The K-5 was FAR superior, which is strange......

Still K-70, K-3 and K-3II that I have there really is not much in it.

09-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
To be honest, I have not found much in the differences in the Dynamic Range between the K-70, K-3 and K-3II to be honest. I don't have the KP by the way.
There are very subtle differences, but not to an extent to discount one camera over another. They all share the same Sony 24MP sensor, and all I can think of is the algorithms to suit each camera make the subtle changes in the ability to recreate the DR at various ISO's.

Having said that, I did notice a larger difference in the DR between my old K-5 and K-5IIs. The K-5 was FAR superior, which is strange......

Still K-70, K-3 and K-3II that I have there really is not much in it.
Guessing there are some sample to sample variations between sensors and some are a better batch than others...