Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2018, 11:35 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Finished my K70 Review *New*

I just finished my K70 review, and may do future articles based on its use as well (lens reviews!)
I added a bit about the press in this review too. It was time to vent. Seen too much bias out there, and we need more objectivity!

PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRAL: Review: Ricoh's Pentax K-70 - An Outdoorsman's Ideological DSLR (With Press Commentary)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/375194-finished-my...#ixzz5QD0cGKUh

Hope you guys like the review. I could have wrote a book and not covered it all.

-Carl

Last edited by Rush2112; 09-05-2018 at 12:08 AM.
09-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

"Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist."
09-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I corrected the link: PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRAL: Review: Ricoh's Pentax K-70 - An Outdoorsman's Ideological DSLR (With Press Commentary)

Reading your review now - thanks for posting
09-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Paul :)

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I also corrected it in my post hehe . Sorry its late and I'm having a lil whiskey to celebrate lol!

09-05-2018, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Good job. I've been using k-70 for almost one and half year now. Real estate, landscape, portrait and some events including even three weddings (as a second camera here but performed really ok). Those where paid jobs with entry level camera. But it is great camera for hiking and travel as well. Love the weather resistant body and articulating screen. Many days in the rain and sometimes splashes from Atlantic waves. I love the camera for the most important things for me: image quality, ergonomics, build quality. This are the categories in which Pentax-Ricoh rocks! I am not reviewer but I used Canon Nikon and Sony FF cameras and still "plastic" K-70 stands out. Weak spots of this camera from my point of view are:
1. Shutter connected with mirror in Live View - you loose time, it makes a lot of useless noise and last but probably the most important less enjoyable shooting in this mode.
2. No battery grip option for easy vertical operation.
3. Small buffer/slow writing speed to the card. Can be really annoying during the events.
4. Video.

Two first problems are solved by KP but I needed/wanted K-70 screen for paid work.
Would I buy the camera again? Yes, today without any doubts. For this price it is tempting to buy second copy for two lenses event setup but to be honest I know I need faster camera anyway. By writing faster I do not mean more frames per second but deep buffer and better writing speed with the same or better image quality.
For the future I would love to see a bigger/faster but still APS-C brother for K70 and new line of DA* lenses starting from zooms in this order 16-50 than 11-18 and 50-135. The first one is the most needed lens of course needed by me as my current converted to screw drive copy has poor performance below 5.6. Need for 11-18 is almost as big and finally my 50-135 is almost perfect.

Last edited by taktoon; 09-05-2018 at 04:39 AM.
09-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Good job. I've been using k-70 for almost one and half year now. Real estate, landscape, portrait and some events including even three weddings (as a second camera here but performed really ok). Those where paid jobs with entry level camera. But it is great camera for hiking and travel as well. Love the weather resistant body and articulating screen. Many days in the rain and sometimes splashes from Atlantic waves. I love the camera for the most important things for me: image quality, ergonomics, build quality. This are the categories in which Pentax-Ricoh rocks! I am not reviewer but I used Canon Nikon and Sony FF cameras and still "plastic" K-70 stands out. Weak spots of this camera from my point of view are:
1. Shutter connected with mirror in Live View - you loose time, it makes a lot of useless noise and last but probably the most important less enjoyable shooting in this mode.
2. No battery grip option for easy vertical operation.
3. Small buffer/slow writing speed to the card. Can be really annoying during the events.
4. Video.

Two first problems are solved by KP but I needed/wanted K-70 screen for paid work.
Would I buy the camera again? Yes, today without any doubts. For this price it is tempting to buy second copy for two lenses event setup but to be honest I know I need faster camera anyway. By writing faster I do not mean more frames per second but deep buffer and better writing speed with the same or better image quality.
For the future I would love to see a bigger/faster but still APS-C brother for K70 and new line of DA* lenses starting from zooms in this order 16-50 than 11-18 and 50-135. The first one is the most needed lens of course needed by me as my current converted to screw drive copy has poor performance below 5.6. Need for 11-18 is almost as big and finally my 50-135 is almost perfect.
Thanks Taktoon!

#1 could be solved with e-shutter on a future model. Otherwise I get along just fine with it
#2. I'll look to higher end models if I ever need a battery grip, but I can see the desire to want them in all bodies.
#3 Perhaps you should try a K3II or something for those events?
#4 Yup, video. Not really Pentax's forte, on the flip side they seem to do still shooting the best!

Love the comments, hopefully Ricoh are paying attention here too, I'm sure they are.

Thank you!
09-05-2018, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you might include a summary of your review here at Pentax Forums?

Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Steve
09-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steve, I included a review here as well