Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #1

Exposure Lock function on K-70

Need advice regarding Exposure Lock function onK-70. Since on this camera AF button is combined with AE-L button, only onefunction may be selected as active for this button at a time. User manual doesn’tstate any possibility to assign AE-L function to any other button. Customfunction AE-L with AF Locked is not an option. Any workarounds? Thanks inadvance!

09-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jna Quote
Any workarounds?
The half-press of the shutter button activates the AF system also. So my workaround would be to press AE-L when you have achieved the exposure you believe you need, then use shutter half-press to achieve focus on the subject and then press the shutter fully.

An alternative is to use Manual exposure. Press the green button to achieve exposure, then point the camera at the subject and use the AF/AE-L button to autofocus.

To be honest I tend not to use AE-L lock very much these days. In the days of film it was very useful to point the camera mainly at the ground for example, and then use AE-L to lock the exposure so the sky would not cause the subjects to be underesxposed. These days with the instant histogram i find it easier to check the shot instantly and apply exposure compensation if needed. The fact that matrix metering has improved over the years helps too.

Last edited by pschlute; 09-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.
09-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Need advice regarding Exposure Lock function onK-70. Since on this camera AF button is combined with AE-L button, only onefunction may be selected as active for this button at a time. User manual doesn’tstate any possibility to assign AE-L function to any other button. Customfunction AE-L with AF Locked is not an option. Any workarounds? Thanks inadvance!
Go to custom settings page 1, item 6.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G870W  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G870W  Photo 
09-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Go to custom settings page 1, item 6
Unless I misread the OP's question I dont think that is what he is after.

I think he wants to have both back-button autofocus and AE-L lock available to use. This is not possible on the K70 as the AF/AE-L button can do one , but not both of those functions at the same time.

The "AE-L with AF locked" custom menu item just locks the exposure when autofocus lock is achieved. Not the same thing.

09-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Go to custom settings page 1, item 6.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

I think he wants to have both back-button autofocus and AE-L lock available to use. This is not possible on the K70 as the AF/AE-L button can do one , but not both of those functions at the same time.

The "AE-L with AF locked" custom menu item just locks the exposure when autofocus lock is achieved. Not the same thing.
Perhaps you are right pschlute, but I highlighted the quote from "jna" and I read it different.
02-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #6

Which is the recommended here OFF or ON?
02-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carlos33 Quote
Which is the recommended here OFF or ON?
OFF , unless you have a need for it to be on.

02-29-2020, 06:37 AM   #8

OFF , unless you have a need for it to be on.
It means if it is OFF, only the focus is locked, but if it is ON both the exposure and the focus is also locked at the same time during pushing down half-way the shutter button. It is true, and valid for both the shutter button and the back-button focusing with the AF/AE-L button.

Works in Live View and Viewfinder as well. This is a good news

Last edited by Carlos33; 02-29-2020 at 06:56 AM.