Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Another Australian member reports having purchased a K-30/50 (I don't recall which) from the US which had/developed the aperture problem. The US vendor refunded the purchase and told him to keep the camera rather than go through the expense and trouble to return ship it. The PF member contacted CR Kennedy who told the member that the failure was a known problem and since the camera was purchased from an authorized dealer would be covered as a warranty repair. The camera was repaired.

My suggestion to @fernoh123 is to contact CR Kennedy on both the K-30 and K-70.

01-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, @Not a Number, I think I will do that. It occurred to me that the third-party warranty was somewhat of a hindrance in my case, since I had one camera under warranty and one not. So best to check out CR Kennedy first, to get their opinion.

Cheers,
Peter
19 Hours Ago   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fernoh123 Quote
I now find my K-70 is exhibiting symptoms of the same failure.
Might you elaborate on what you are seeing? Have you confirmed that aperture control is failing by checking if the lens stops down when set to remain wide open?

FWIW, this thread is in the K-70 sub-forum and is intended for reporting and documenting issues with the K-70 aperture control only. Complaints or descriptions or comments regarding the K-30/K-50 other models are off-topic and sort of muddy the waters when trying to document your report.

Steve
19 Hours Ago   #34
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fernoh123 Quote
After losing my K-30 to the aperture control block problem (not verified since I decided not to repair, but 99.99% certain as to cause), I now find my K-70 is exhibiting symptoms of the same failure. The only modern lens I can use (on either camera, after updating K-30 to K-50 firmware) is my Pentax-DA 55-300 ED PLM WR lens, the one with electronic aperture. In fact, using this lens probably hid from me the early signs of the failure as I rarely use other lenses now
Actually, using a KAF4 lens might speed development of what I call Dark Image Syndrome, because it doesn't use the body's Aperture Control Mechanism. Anecdotal evidence indicates that failing to use that mechanism may cause it to fail sooner {use it or lose it}