Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
On the German Pentaxians.de forum there is poll on failures of the K-70. Of 50 respondents 4 report failure.
K-70 wer hat (keine?) Probleme mit Blendensteuerung? ? Pentaxians

One member reports buying a used K-70 that had the failure when purchased:
erste K-70 mit defekter Blendensteuerung - Black Picture ? Pentaxians

And subsequently repairing the by filing the plunger of the solenoid:
Tutorial - Reparatur Pentax K-70 Blendensteuerung Solenoid ? Pentaxians

You can use Google Translate to get an idea of what is being posted. You need to be a registered member to see many of the photographs. If you are familiar with the aperture control block mechanism on the K-30/50 and K-S1/S2 you can see the differences in design.
In the original post, I requested:

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For the sake of clarity and accountability, it would be good to limit experiences to those of our users and not reference claims from other forums or rumor sites.
This thread is intended as a clearing house for reports from our users where we can easily confirm and qualify reports. It is probably inevitable that general discussion might intrude, but I am a little concerned that I might miss on-topic posts.

Steve

04-29-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #62
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Thanks, some of the exposures were done using manual and "tav" not all in auto. If you follow my link to the Flickr images the "exif" is present.https://www.flickr.com/photos/sharkyca/sets/72157706829697591/
Yes, my comments were made after looking at the EXIF - I guess I misunderstood what they mean by 'Auto'.
The fact remains that your photos have too many parameters varying, but from what I can see, I believe you are dealing with metering issues.

To be really useful, you need to set ISO to a fixed value, say 400, certainly not "Auto", then use either 'Tv' or 'Av' mode so that only one parameter will change at a time.
04-30-2019, 01:48 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Exposure mode - Auto" in the EXIF means exposure automation. This might include P, Av, Tv, Sv, or TAv, but never B, X, or M modes.

I have not made a full tour of the examples on Flickr, but if LV exposures are always proper, it may not be an aperture block problem. Is my memory correct that we still have no visual confirmation of aperture control failure for this camera? It may be time to put this problem out for a separate troubleshooting request.

Having said that last, I will make one comment, that being that spot metering is a common cause of exposure problems, is a specialized tool and is usually inappropriate for general shooting. I don't think it is responsible for the dark frames, but is likely a cause for the overexposed shots.

Steve
You are right Steve,no confirmation on aperture failure although it now seems to be ALL LENSES!

In regards to the spot metering, I switched to it as I thought it may have been related to the "full metering" I was using, I have sent an inquiry to Precision Camera (Sun Camera Service in Toronto, authorized repair in Canada. Also if I engage FLASH, images are still under exposed

Norm
04-30-2019, 04:04 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, my comments were made after looking at the EXIF - I guess I misunderstood what they mean by 'Auto'.
The fact remains that your photos have too many parameters varying, but from what I can see, I believe you are dealing with metering issues.

To be really useful, you need to set ISO to a fixed value, say 400, certainly not "Auto", then use either 'Tv' or 'Av' mode so that only one parameter will change at a time.
reh321, I tried your suggestion of shooting with "ISO set to 400,Tv mode,also ISO Auto,100-400, Av images started to display normally, set camera back to FULL AUTO and now appears to be functioning NORMALLY

"Exposure mode - Auto" in the EXIF means exposure automation. This might include P, Av, Tv, Sv, or TAv, but never B, X, or M modes.

I have not made a full tour of the examples on Flickr, but if LV exposures are always proper, it may not be an aperture block problem. Is my memory correct that we still have no visual confirmation of aperture control failure for this camera? It may be time to put this problem out for a separate troubleshooting request.

Having said that last, I will make one comment, that being that spot metering is a common cause of exposure problems, is a specialized tool and is usually inappropriate for general shooting. I don't think it is responsible for the dark frames, but is likely a cause for the overexposed shots.

Steve
Steve, Please see above thread (reh321, I am becoming completely confused and starting to wonder if there is a possible glitch in the firmware now that the problem seems to have mysteriously RESET and the camera is back to normal.

As it is not quite sun up when I took these pics and I am going back to bed I will post more images later.

Thanks for all the help on this problem. I have added 3 photos but they are night shots, dark images but expected to be, NOT what I was getting. https://www.flickr.com/gp/sharkyca/Ti2nN9

04-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve, Please see above thread (reh321, I am becoming completely confused and starting to wonder if there is a possible glitch in the firmware now that the problem seems to have mysteriously RESET and the camera is back to normal.

As it is not quite sun up when I took these pics and I am going back to bed I will post more images later.
Intermittent problems are so hard to diagnose.

This thread is not really intended for extended troubleshooting. Although it is unclear whether you have an issue with aperture control*, you clearly have a problem and it is likely that service is your best option. If may be that more than one issue is at work here and the service center can evaluate in a short period of time what would require days of online discussion.

Steve

* My understanding is that you have not been able to observe inappropriate stop-down for any of mix of camera and lens (M mode, aperture wide open, aperture control function directly observed through front of lens)
04-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Intermittent problems are so hard to diagnose.

This thread is not really intended for extended troubleshooting. Although it is unclear whether you have an issue with aperture control*, you clearly have a problem and it is likely that service is your best option. If may be that more than one issue is at work here and the service center can evaluate in a short period of time what would require days of online discussion.

Steve

* My understanding is that you have not been able to observe inappropriate stop-down for any of mix of camera and lens (M mode, aperture wide open, aperture control function directly observed through front of lens)
I agree with your post Steve,although there has not been a clear diagnosis of what I have had happening but the first indications looked like an "aperture problem" I would be open to having my posts here moved to a separate thread so as not to clutter up your original intention of "tracking k-70 aperture block" if that is possible?

Here is the response I got back from "Sun Camera" in regard to my inquiry:

Hi,
Your camera may be having an issue with the aperture block. The cost to have this issue fixed is roughly $200.

---
Thank you

Sun Camera Service
2150 Steeles Ave West
Unit 5
Concord, Ont. L4K 2Y7
905-669-6355

Awaiting your input about moving my posts!

Norm
04-30-2019, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the response I got back from "Sun Camera" in regard to my inquiry:

Hi,
Your camera may be having an issue with the aperture block. The cost to have this issue fixed is roughly $200.

---
Thank you

Sun Camera Service
2150 Steeles Ave West
Unit 5
Concord, Ont. L4K 2Y7
905-669-6355

Awaiting your input about moving my posts!
Let's just leave them as is for now. Let me know if you send it off. It is a shame that you fall through the cracks as far as warranty service goes.

Steve
04-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's just leave them as is for now. Let me know if you send it off. It is a shame that you fall through the cracks as far as warranty service goes.

Steve
I agree, I can't help thinking it is a glitch in the electronics.

3 Days Ago   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
I agree, I can't help thinking it is a glitch in the electronics.
Latest update on this K-70 problem.
Sent camera in 2 weeks ago and received back this estimate for repair "diaphragm block replacement" authorized repair and waiting for the return of my K-70.
Attached Images

3 Days Ago   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sent camera in 2 weeks ago and received back this estimate for repair "diaphragm block replacement" authorized repair and waiting for the return of my K-70.

Sorry to read that, but at least you know for sure. Is there any chance Ricoh Canada might cut you some slack under warranty?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 3 Days Ago at 03:53 PM.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #71

I hope this will be covered under warranty. Check with Ricoh. Also it would be nice if Sun could send you the old diaphragm control block. It would be interesting to compare it with the K-30/50 and K-S1/S2 block.
3 Days Ago   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to read that, but at least you know for sure. Is there any chance Ricoh Canada might cut you some slack under warranty?

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I hope this will be covered under warranty. Check with Ricoh. Also it would be nice if Sun could send you the old diaphragm control block. It would be interesting to compare it with the K-30/50 and K-S1/S2 block.
Sent an inquiry to Ricoh Canada and also a request to Sun Camera Service to have the old part returned with the camera, thanks for the suggestions....fingers crossed!