Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I forgot that you got back your diaphragm control block. So it was manufactured 7/2019 and installed 8/2019.

Shows how high the demand for the K70 must have been, as you bought it 9/2019.

Anyway reh321's comparison with his K-30 are of no value compared to the K-70 because the K30 and K50 up to Dec.2015 were really badly hit with the solenoid problem.

I think he meant more my speculation.
But your statements are just kind of facts for your K30 and yet, you never opened it, never inspected the solenoid allthough you are an engineer with experience.
But your statements about the solenoid in the K70 are not at all facts but speculation.
Yes I was refering to your speculation Photogem not reh321's and no the manufacture date of my camera was as stated in the EXIF file 2017, as was the original control block. I have no reference to the control block in the camera now.

09-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Yes I was refering to your speculation Photogem not reh321's and no the manufacture date of my camera was as stated in the EXIF file 2017, as was the original control block. I have no reference to the control block in the camera now.
I corrected that, it was a typo... I meant 2017 of course and not 2019 ... the dates on the diaphragm control block you got back clearly states those two dates.
09-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But your statements are just kind of facts for your K30 and yet, you never opened it, never inspected the solenoid allthough you are an engineer with experience.
But your statements about the solenoid in the K70 are not at all facts but speculation.
My statements about the K-70 are fact.
We know that aperture control remains a weak spot of that line.
We know that when people have problems with that line the problem originates most of the time with the solenoid.
We know that the body's aperture control fails from passing of calendar time, that heavy usage is not an issue.
09-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My statements about the K-70 are fact.
So what to you is the difference between collected knowledge, experience and as a result... facts?
Can you really declare statements about the aperture control of the K-70, never having owned one, never ever disassembled one and studied the aperture control?
And what is the same difference about the solenoid?

Making one's own statements to facts when one actually has zero exerience with it seems rather critical to me.
But then:

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We know that when people have problems with that line the problem originates most of the time with the solenoid.
We know that the body's aperture control fails from passing of calendar time, that heavy usage is not an issue.
I don't think you should speak here for everybody, i.e. "we"....

... maybe better to write "I ... re321...think I know"

but then, do you really know never having owned a K70, never disassembled it nor ever having held a solenoid in one's hands and having applied tests to it?
Is this the basis for facts or just hearsay?

You do know, that your own K30 has the aperture-control-problem.
And you have collected a lot of data.

09-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Originally posted by reh321*

but then, do you really know never having owned a K70, never disassembled it nor ever having held a solenoid in one's hands and having applied tests to it?
With respect, the jury has returned on this one and it is as re321 says.

It is inconceivable that an aperture failure on a K-70, however rare that may be, would be any other cause.
09-29-2020, 01:44 AM - 3 Likes   #66
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi folks. The debate is starting to get a little personal, which doesn't usually end well for anyone. Please calm down. Thanks
09-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #67
Pentaxian

You do know, that your own K30 has the aperture-control-problem.
And you have collected a lot of data.
OK, I should have said "Those who are watching reports from K-70 users know" - because those reports appears on these very pages.
Yes, these reports are "hearsay", but I do not believe these reports are false, and nobody has claimed that they are "fake news".
One does not need to have ever held a K-70 to read these reports.

09-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-70 has been around for 4 years now, it's time for a K-70 specific poll on ABF to gauge the true extent of it in this model. I suspect it is rare.
09-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
The K-70 has been around for 4 years now, it's time for a K-70 specific poll on ABF to gauge the true extent of it in this model. I suspect it is rare.
It undoubtedly is more rare than it was for the K-30 - it would almost have to be - but it does happen and probably should be the first thing to investigate when dark images do happen.
10-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm curious about the discussion of manufacture dates above. Was there some date where they started using the white solenoid instead of the green one? If so, when? Thanks.
10-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
Was there some date where they started using the white solenoid instead of the green one? If so, when?
Highly dubious because the white ones are out of production since at least 2012 (?). It is suspected that they changed something else around the solenoid itself from a later run of the K-70 which makes it less likely to fail (?)
10-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious about the discussion of manufacture dates above. Was there some date where they started using the white solenoid instead of the green one? If so, when? Thanks.
Why?
10-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Do you have any evidence that they did start using the white solenoids again?
As far as I know, they used the white solenoids at first, and then used the green ones.
The difference in colors corresponded to a change in materials which happened when location of manufacture changed.
10-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #74
Veteran Member

OK, thanks. I keep reading about people switching to the white ones, so I was thinking that that the white one was developed to fix the problem with the green one.
10-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #75
Veteran Member

To answer photogem, I'm curious because I have one that was manufactured 11/15/2018, and I'm wondering how worried I should be. Thanks.